Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TradeRunner

If You Didn't Need the Money Would You Still Trade?

Would you still trade if you didn't need the money?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Would you still trade if you didn't need the money?

• Yes
    • No

You have enough money to last you a life time and fund the life style that you require with enough to spare to pass on to you loved ones etc. So you just don't need to trade to make money.

Would you still trade?

It would be a no for me.

Trading to me is never boring. It is a constant challenge and so it is addictive. I find that there is always something new and markets are adapting. The difference if(or when) I had billions, is I would chose to trade differently and to pursue the things I enjoy outside of trading without thinking twice.

Yes - but the trading/investing style would change.

I would only be a part time screen jockey and focus would be more on capital preservation than growth.

I truly love the markets and my mind will always want to know what its doing

Assuming the money you have made is from trading, I can think of nothing more satisfying than continuing to trade for charities and worthwhile causes. It would seem very selfish to me to stop trading simply because 'you' have made enough money!

Absolutely! Having done few business: it is by far my fav thing to do. When I travel or on vacay: I Miss Trading and will always trade, no matter how much money I have.

Yes, I would still trade. You only need to trade a few hours a day to make money, so it's not a huge commitment. I could travel and trade at the same time. I will find a way to use the money, even if it's way over what I need.

This is a great question because it locates your passion for trading -- the love of the game. This is the essential intrinsic motivation for a trader to re-organize his or her psychological self to become the trader he needs to be rather than who he or she currently is.

Rande Howell

I wouldn't quit trading entirely but I would make time for many other interests such as travelling, visiting historical battlefields (I am interested in WW2 and the US Civil War), reading about military history (the two wars I mentioned), taking courses to stimulate the mind, and so forth. I would trade whenever I had more than a few days of free time to keep from getting totally bored.

This is a great question because it locates your passion for trading -- the love of the game. This is the essential intrinsic motivation for a trader to re-organize his or her psychological self to become the trader he needs to be rather than who he or she currently is.

Rande Howell

Quite so, however once someone has become the 'trader they need to be' I can't help thinking quite a few would answer differently regardless of whether they decided to continue or not. I wonder if some of the expectations will not be realised through trading and that they might actually be inhibiting what 'traders need to be'.

Quite so, however once someone has become the 'trader they need to be' I can't help thinking quite a few would answer differently regardless of whether they decided to continue or not. I wonder if some of the expectations will not be realised through trading and that they might actually be inhibiting what 'traders need to be'.

People are always in the act of becoming. What we are in one moment in time is simply the door to the next stage of a personal journey. My hope is that passion would find even greater expression as that person evolved. Trading is a powerful way of discerning between a need to prove the self by an external vechile and discovering what drives the self internally. Many people find a deeper spiritualilty as they evolve as trader. As they become able to solve the mystery of themselves, they become open to becoming steward to serve a purpose greater than the self.

Rande Howell

Great question,i think that exist many kinds of trader who made this for hobby(but i think that exist hobby more relaxing and funny of this ...depend to the path or journey that you wan't made in your life) but when is awareness,by the risk and had a good knowledge of the market ,can made this maybe also a funny work....what that i ever ask to myself is ...how and with more less fear i will trade if the money wouldn't be mine?surelly the fear to loss personal money is bigger than the fear to lose the others money.i think also that great trader like Jesse Livermore don't stopped to trade when he become rich maybe because he take this more like a gambling.or maybe the psychological factor are less important by now?or simple now would become more a psychological warfare.yes i think so.Maybe if one day i stop to squeeze my brain,and find a way that make me so many money to leave all and will permitted to go on a beach to meditate God all the day,yes i can stop.to trade.But if the love for it is so bigger ,maybe i wouldn't stop ,ever if some personal problem don't put me in a condition to stop me .i don't really know is a big thinking ,because is the classic question that have more facets.because once a time someone start the trading journey it's important to considerer also the psychological and spiritual side of this ,if you think only to make money like a machine and don't think never that for become a profitable trader,is important the interior and spiritual side .you don't love neither you.Another factor for me very important for being profitable in trading is the humbleness and a good quantity of luck.

People are always in the act of becoming. What we are in one moment in time is simply the door to the next stage of a personal journey. My hope is that passion would find even greater expression as that person evolved. Trading is a powerful way of discerning between a need to prove the self by an external vechile and discovering what drives the self internally. Many people find a deeper spiritualilty as they evolve as trader. As they become able to solve the mystery of themselves, they become open to becoming steward to serve a purpose greater than the self.

Rande Howell

Hi Rande, trading is an amazing vehicle (imho). I think most who pursue it will discover all sorts of things about themselves regardless of where the journey takes them. The section I I highlighted above is something that was an impediment for me for a time. Another thing that was mentioned earlier in the thread was 'mental challenge' again looking for intellectual satisfaction for me was a possibly my biggest 'hurdle'.

I wonder if you ever read Eddie Toppels book Zen in the markets? His whole thesis is that wanting to satisfy the ego is responsible for most peoples issues with trading. Interesting read.

Another thing that was mentioned earlier was seeking excitement. Whilst It was not ever an issue personally seeking 'excitement' from trading would be something I would be cautious about. I think Might Mouse was near the mark ...if it is not rather dull and monotonous you probably aren't doing it right :) (the actual trading bit of the equation that is)

Sadly a bit pushed for time I'd like to respond a bit more fully., To put it shortly facing what I see as challenges can be rewarding in it's own right.

No - I would be writing novels and spending more time with family and friends.

Absolutely! I can't believe that most people would still trade. Live is so short and choosing to spend it in front of a screen on such an abstract pursuit seems like a bit of a waste. Personally, if you are in this position then I think you would be happier giving it away.