Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Tradewinds

TICK Vs Advancers - Decliners

Advancers/decliners are calculated based on the previous days closing price whereas the $TICK is based on ticks.

Advancers/Decliners can also be calculated real time just like the tick. It's simply the difference between advancing stocks and declining stocks at a given time.

Then what would be the difference between tick and advancers/decliners? Tick is calculated in relation to the previous tick change. Advancers/decliners is calculated in relation to the previous trading session close.

Then what would be the difference between tick and advancers/decliners? Tick is calculated in relation to the previous tick change. Advancers/decliners is calculated in relation to the previous trading session close.

Advancers/Decliners: Number of stocks either up, down, or unchanged, results in a net # like +600.

Tick: Number of stocks with their last price either up, down, or unchanged.

spyadlinetick.thumb.png.92cc923671241b4600989b2e531acadd.png

When I add up Advancers+Decliners+Unchanged, I get numbers around 2,700 to 3,100 So there must be approximately 2,700 to 3,100 stocks that are being tracked. There are only 500 stocks in the S&P 500, so I guess to get the Advancers, Decliners for the S&P 500, I would need a special data feed, and have to make the calculation myself.

When I add up Advancers+Decliners+Unchanged, I get numbers around 2,700 to 3,100 So there must be approximately 2,700 to 3,100 stocks that are being tracked. There are only 500 stocks in the S&P 500, so I guess to get the Advancers, Decliners for the S&P 500, I would need a special data feed, and have to make the calculation myself.

Ya ADVN and DECN data comes from the NYSE and NASDAQ, you can pull this easily on the thinkorswim and trade station platforms, other platforms should have it too as it's pretty basic data.

Ya ADVN and DECN data comes from the NYSE and NASDAQ,

I'm guessing that Advancers and Decliners are a generic measure that can be applied to any market, or any subset of a market. I don't think it has to be from the NYSE or the NASDAQ.