Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TradeRunner

Song Of The Day

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN7igYKC3KU]YouTube - Lissie - Wedding Bells (Live)[/ame]

Hi, just as a way to start posting here at TL I'll share this. Lissie is ... well what can I say?

.....great with headphones...... and your eyes closed........ and a whiskey :smoking:

anyway guys nice to be here, I'd forgotten this site existed.

This is turning into a trip down memory lane.

I saw Simon and Garfunkel Live in Central Park early 70s.

They finished with "Sounds of Silence" done A Cappella.

I was as well. :dito

My contribution (warning 8 minutes long - actual song begins about 1:50 in - but worth it):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBSOjm8S34U]YouTube - Jackson Browne Sky Blue and Black[/ame]

Wow! Thank You TradeRunner for starting this thread!

Thanks Mysticforex. Did you get to see The Doors live?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ee9Mqr0bdE]YouTube - the doors- love me two times- live 1968[/ame]

Thanks Certenotti - I like very much the philosophy of MK Ghandi - the Wikipedia article I found was very enlightening - thank you for inspiring me to read it.

Another whose music I enjoy was an Irish singer-song-write, Raymond Edward O'Sullivan.

You might not recognise him until I post his professional name - Gilbert O'Sullivan. He was a popular musician/singer in the early 1970's, and from Wikipedia:

"Worldwide he has charted sixteen top forty discs; including six number one songs, the first of which was 1970's 'Nothing Rhymed' "

My favorite amongst his songs, would be "Clair" which I present for you today. It is light and touches the heart in a warm way, unlike his popular "Alone again (Naturally)" which had deeper and more sombre overtones (which I equally enjoy, along with "Vincent", which I grade as another classic.)

But let's enjoy "Clair" : (Listen as he refers to himself in the lyrics as "Uncle Ray" - his real first name)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU9fClvdo5s&feature=related]YouTube - Gilbert O`Sullivan - CLAIR - ( The Sweetest `Clair ` video Ever !) - And Clair answers back ![/ame]

thanks to you for appreciating ghandi impact video ,i'm ever been for the non,violence and i considered him the father of this theory.relaxing and nice your video ,by o'sullivan.

cheers certenotti

I don't think any artist will ever surpass the Led Zep version of Stairway... these guys are masters - and were around when I was still in bell-bottoms! Classic Zeppelin! You have truly dug up a master song there Certenotti .... thanks again.

I mentioned "Vincent" in my last post ...

It was sung By Don McLean. I don't know why I thought Gilbert O'Sullivan had released a version of it.

But that pre-occupation blinded me to the idea that perhaps the original came from another artist.

Trading can be like that - we form a bias, and become oblivious to other possibilities!

The song was written as a tribute to the master painter Vincent van Gogh, by Don McLean. (Reference: Wikipedia)

It is also known by its opening line, "Starry Starry Night", a reference to van Gogh's painting The Starry Night. The song also describes different paintings done by the artist.

McLean wrote the lyrics in 1971 after reading a book about the life of the artist. The following year, the song became the number one hit in the U.K. and No. 12 in the U.S.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dipFMJckZOM]YouTube - Vincent (Starry Starry Night) Don McLean[/ame]

Edited by Ingot54

yes ingot Led Zeppelin never declined,...but i like very much also your version of Vincent.(starry starry night)Don mc Lean ,good melody and beatiful paints .today i want post one of the biggest famous group in italy maybe in australia you dont know,but here they have the ability,with their text and sound to enter in veins.listen

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyFxGW4FpGM]YouTube - Livido amniotico - Subsonica[/ame]

a fitting song for the day -- April Fool's day.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdQ6o9Aig9o]YouTube - Barbara Streisand & Barry Gibb "What Kind Of Fool"[/ame]

a fitting song for the day -- April Fool's day.

Nice music from nice people.

My music is fairly simple, and will always contain either nice rhythm, great lyrics, pathos and of course, melody.

Occasionally I am drawn to simple ballads - and I'll post an example or two in this coming week. Many of you have not heard an Australian Ballad before, and so let's try to fill the week with ballads from our own countries, if you have them.

Right now though, to round out the week, I'd like to throw in this little up-beat number from the George Baker Selection. I guess I am pretty well locked in to my youthful years with some of this stuff - but just click through if it is not to your taste.

Our mates over at Wikipedia had this to say about George Baker Selection:

George Baker (born Johannes Bouwens, 8 December 1944, Hoorn, North Holland) is a Dutch singer and songwriter best known for his global hit Paloma Blanca.

In 1967, Bouwens joined the band Soul Invention, which later changed its name to "George Baker Selection." Their first album, Little Green Bag (1970), gave them their first hit. Their debut single, "Little Green Bag" reached the #16 position on the Cash Box magazine chart and #21 in the Billboard Top 100 in the United States. This disc sold over one million copies globally, and received a gold disc. By 1972 the band had sold over 5 million records.

Their fifth album Paloma Blanca was released in 1975, and the single "Paloma Blanca" reached #1 in the charts in several countries.

In 1978 the George Baker Selection split up because "the pressure had become too much." The band has sold over 20 million records worldwide. George Baker formed a new George Baker Selection in 1985, which stayed together until 1989. The band has released twelve albums and several compilation albums.

Hope this brings back memories - pleasant ones!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R36CixkIaIc]YouTube - George Baker Selection Una Paloma Blanca[/ame]

Last week I mentioned introducing you to a couple of Australian ballads. Perhaps the best-known of our Australian Country Music balladeers, would be Slim Dusty. He is certainly my favourite - we used to milk cows in the late 1950's and early 1960's while listening to some of his early music.

Over time his "sound" evolved and improved, culminating in an era where this song/ballad - a poem originally written in the 1890's, by AB Patterson (who also wrote "Waltzing Matilda") - spawned a movie by the same name:

"The Man from Snowy River"

I apologise that this "Song of the Day" will not appeal to everyone, nor may it be understood by those unfamiliar with Australia's bush-lore. The language used by Banjo Patterson in penning this poem was distinct to Australia's early grazing settlers, and though still in use today by members of my generation, would hardly be understood by even Australian younger people. Sadly we move on, and so much of our rich heritage is lost.

This song encapsulates some of it.

The Snowy River actually refers to part of Victoria's "High Country" - rich grazing country, but rugged and barely accessible to any but the most skilled horsemen. The great Snowy River forms a part of Victoria's Hydro-Electric Power scheme - built to take advantage of the annual snow melt. A well-bred and very valuable colt had escaped and joined the wild bush-horses, or brumby herds in the area, and the song is the story of how they got him back.

The hero was a little-known horseman who was barely allowed to ride with the searchers, except for the intervention of "Clancy of the Overflow" who vouched for him - another great Australian icon ... for another day perhaps - but Google will help you out with both the history of this song/movie, and Clancy of the Overflow too. The hero of the song is forever-after known as "The Man from Snowy River."

The singer - Slim Dusty - had a very long and successful singing career in this country, and had released more than 100 Albums. Throughout his career, he brought his music to Australian country towns in the bush - towns which might never have received a thought by other popular country singers. He was loved by all, and respected by those who didn't have an ear (or a heart) for his music genre.

He passed away in September 2003. A humble man who loved his music and his people and his heritage.

This was perhaps his longest song.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW7rgnNqgjE]YouTube - Slim Dusty - The Man From Snowy River[/ame]

slim_dusty.jpg.aacaac31d12bb598dd4589859669e13e.jpg

This is another bush ballad from Slim Dusty, but with a bit of humour!

Thankfully for those interested, this one is only 3 1/2 minutes long.

I have a couple more in a similar style, but will refrain from posting them out of respect for the wider audience. If you want to hear more of this type of ballad, just Google: "Slim Dusty youtube."

Do you have ballads in your country that speak of another side to your culture?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRVDS36eOMk]YouTube - Slim Dusty - The Drover's Cook Live[/ame]