Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TheNegotiator

Keeping Yourself Fuelled for Trade

So this thread is all about maintaining a good balanced diet to ensure your mind has the correct nutrition and energy levels to function at the highest level while you trade.

Think of it this way- would you buy a Ferrari then fill it up with heating oil? If you were Usain Bolt's trainer, would you feed him a juicy beefburger before a race? Well, I hope most people realise the correct answer to these questions!!

So, if there is sense in the above, why shouldn't traders, especially day traders, ensure they are at their peak mentally and physically when they make critical decisions sometimes in split seconds??

I believe we all know that they should.

Here's a tip from me that I'm guilty of not always following.

There's a lot of anxiety with trading. There's a lot of immediate satisfaction with eating garbage - sugar, fat, calories.

I've been known in an especially stressful or lousy trading day to toss out all the rules and eat horribly, including while trading.

What works for me is always trying to have some healthy snacks on hand. If they are there, convenient, etc... it's a lot easier and I find I don't always reach for the crap that way. When however it needs to be prepared, etc... -- I'm going to reach for the sugar bomb.

Speaking of sugar, there's plenty of "fake" healthy foods out there, it's shocking how much sugar is in a health bar. Keep it single digits on the sugar grams.

MMS

There is much that is really bad with eating refined sugar full stop, not just putting on weight and risking diabetes. So if you have a sugar rush, the affect is amplified. Not conducive for good trading!! Just google "refined sugar health effects" for some of the effects on your body. Don't even get me started on HFCS which is in pretty much anything you can think of!

For health and nutritional information, I suggest the website:

mercola.com

They cover many topics like exercise, supplements, food and water quality and lifestyle. I have personally benefited from their probiotics, after dealing with digestion problems. I don't work for them, and I have absolutely no connection to them except as a satisfied customer.

I eat a lot of peanut butter. I only eat natural peanut butter. Look at the ingredients. If it states anything other than peanuts, and/or salt, then I don't buy it. It's protien, so it helps stabilize your blood sugar swings. Natural peanut butter will have oil on the top when you buy it, just stir it up, then refrigerate it so the oil won't separate out.

Plus I eat yogurt, bananas, and oatmeal.

I eat a lot of peanut butter. I only eat natural peanut butter. Look at the ingredients. If it states anything other than peanuts, and/or salt, then I don't buy it. It's protien, so it helps stabilize your blood sugar swings. Natural peanut butter will have oil on the top when you buy it, just stir it up, then refrigerate it so the oil won't separate out.

Plus I eat yogurt, bananas, and oatmeal.

Sounds like a nice balance. How do you eat though? 3 meals a day or take a little food here a little food there?

Here's another benefit of why considering what you eat is important, not only for energy and concentration levels. As traders, it's not like we ever want to pull a "sicky" or what ever you might call it. Take the day off work under the pretence of being ill. If you actually WANT to do this, may I recommend having a look at the stuff over in our Psychology forum!! Anyway, inevitably people do get sick and this can along with medicines, inhibit the speed and overall effectiveness of your decision making. So that is not helpful for pretty much any trader. However, with a considered dietary or supplemental intake of certain vitamins and minerals(I think vit C and zinc are commonly mentioned), studies have shown that people may tend to get ill fewer times over the course of a year than those who have less intake of said vit/mins. So for me (if I am good at what I do!!) fewer times of being ill = fewer days off = more profit.

Sounds like a nice balance. How do you eat though? 3 meals a day or take a little food here a little food there?

I have never been one to eat a huge meal. I eat 3 regular meals at set times, but I've never eaten huge amounts at a meal. I think that is important. I do eat in between meals, but I'm one of those people who just doesn't gain any weight.

This is a good discussion. Sometimes just talking about it and being consciously aware is all it takes.

Case in point - today is probably some of my worst trading in a few months - trading Crude Oil futures - it's jumping all over, slippage is terrible today and no move seems sustained - I've been whipsawed numerous times, and had price hit my limit price and not be filled multiple times - which almost never happens in Crude.

So I might just want to eat some garbage to make myself feel better :)

But, in the spirit of this thread I'll acknowledge my woes today but not make that leap to the darkside -- at least that way I'll have something positive today!

MMS

The secret for me is realizing that I start trading early -- therefore I'm going to be starving by mid morning so I make sure to have some reasonable food onhand and nearby to snack on. Otherwise I'll never make it to lunch and if I do you can bet I'll go overboard since I'd be so damn hungry.

Same with afternoon -- a couple of times I reach for a healthy snack and I get to dinner much easier.

Drinking water is great as well but I'll admit I limit it in the morning since I'm concerned my bathroom breaks will occur right when a good trade arises.....now maybe I need a laptop in the bathroom but that's another topic.

There are so many benefits from the natural food we eat that are overlooked. I'm not a health nut, but I do exercise, get adequate sleep, and eat relatively healthy. Everything in moderation. Once your body gets used to a lifestyle it takes a lot of small changes to make the shift. One step at a time. Treat your body kind and it will thank you.

Sleep is a whole other story. That's something I need to figure out how to get more of -- I know 7-8 hours is what is considered ideal. I'm lucky to grab 6. There's just too much to do. Thankfully after all these years I still really enjoy trading despite the ups and occasional downs, and I still have little trouble motivating out of bed in the a.m. but you make a good point - - diet and exercise matter -- but sleep is probably as critical. Just don't ask me to take my own advice!

MMS

Sleep is a whole other story. That's something I need to figure out how to get more of -- I know 7-8 hours is what is considered ideal. I'm lucky to grab 6. There's just too much to do. Thankfully after all these years I still really enjoy trading despite the ups and occasional downs, and I still have little trouble motivating out of bed in the a.m. but you make a good point - - diet and exercise matter -- but sleep is probably as critical. Just don't ask me to take my own advice!

MMS

Checkout some of the science behind sleep cycles. As humans we complete a full sleep cycle (go through all stages) in roughly 90-mins. I personally break up my night 4x a week into 2 chunks, I sleep for 4.5 hours wake up trade the euro open and then grab another 1.5 or 3 hours before trading the NYSE open. I find I'm more alert and productive when I wake-up on a 90-min increment and feel more refreshed.

Tim, sleep is a very interesting topic! I know that not only do traders have to deal with time differences depending on what/how they trade, but also the stress factor in preventing normal sleep patterns. So how do you go about breaking your night up into 2 chunks like that? Is it something you just get used to or is it actually something you can coerce your body into accepting by applying certain techniques?

It's actually really easy (for me that is). By waking up on a 90-min interval you have completed a full sleep cycle and will feel refreshed. A 4.5hr chunk and a 3-hr chunk works well for me. On days where I train hard on the bike I will do a 6-hr and a 1.5-hr. I do this 4x a week. Regardless, once you get into a regular sleep pattern your body gets used to it and it becomes very easy. Thinking back, the first night I had a hard time falling asleep early (because I was excited) but from then on out it's not bad at all.

"Lunch is for sissies!" The Gecko

I become a monstrous risk taker when hungry. You have got to eat something proper!

Definitely. I also struggle when I eat a big lunch. Used to go out sometimes in the winter months to get a roast lunch. Just way too filling though and far more conducive to having a bit of a kip than actually trading some more.

As usual with all things, its about keeping some sort of semblance with balance. A big meal would equate to the same effect through a different route.

Ah, food. One of my favorite topics! I live in California so the day starts early for me and I get hungry only after things start rolling in the market. I try to have hard boiled eggs on hand or a protein smoothie in the blender. And I add my all time favorite: avocado on sprouted-wheat toast. (You would probably know I was from California just from that last statement). The fat (good fat) in the avocado holds me over until lunch and it has medium-chain fatty acids are actually used by the brain as a source of energy.

I like Dr. Daniel Amen's work on diet and brain health. Here is a link to his site: Amen Clinics Don't be put off by the commercial look of the site - this guy really knows his stuff.

Sounds like a good nutritious combo FXGirl! May I ask though, are you an advocate of 3 meals a day or do you prefer many light mini-meals? I don't really like that term but didn't want to put snacks as I think it engenders the wrong ideas about what to eat for many. I personally prefer eating less but more frequently if I can. I am definitely not great at doing this though as it really goes against a lifetime of habit!!!

I'm with you on the tall glasses of water before a meal. I'm not great about doing it every meal but I know if I'm about to have a "crappy" meal this will prevent me from going crazy. I also fight to be about 80% full and not push it - I subscribe to the theory that it takes your mind time to catch up -- and I find if I can put the fork down in about 10 minutes I'll feel 100% full.

It's like trading, always got to trick yourself because usually "we" stand in our own way!

MMS

Hi, Negotiator: I truly believe that everyone's body is different and that the best system is the one that works best for your body. I eat three meals with healthy snacks (nuts, fruit, veggies) in between. Like others on this thread, being hungry isn't good for my decision-making.

But what messes even more with my ability to stay focused and disciplined is lack of sleep. I need my 8 1/2 hours! On 8 1/2 life is beautiful and I am a calm and loving person. On less.... Because I'm on the west coast, it's been tough getting enough sleep and getting up at 4:30 AM was pure pain. I finally gave up, decided to listen to my body, and now I get up around 6 AM and just take what the market gives me in the hours I have to trade. I'm happier, my husband is happier, the kids are happier, and interestingly, I'm more profitable.

Tim: I'm amazed at your sleep schedule. I can't imagine doing that, but the fact that you can, and that you function well, supports my theory that everyone's body is different. When I was a freshman in college, there was a girl in the dorm that only needed 3 hours of sleep a night - of course, she drove her roommate crazy and they finally gave her a room of her own. I really envied her. What a boon to have an extra 5 hours a day; I could certainly use that now.