Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Mysticforex

Traders Laboratory Forex Trading Contest!

Averaging down + too much leverage = recipe for disaster

I do ok for a while with stops in place and reasonable position sizes .... and then that little red guy on my shoulder starts whispering in my ear: "what a pathetic return, you can do better than that, INCREASE POSITION SIZE!!!" ..... and somehow I can't resist :(

Thank you - it takes courage to share that. Being aware is the first step to control that whisper. That whisper makes its rounds by the way, so know that you are not alone. Next time imagine all of us in the contest backing you when you whisper back to that little guy "I can make up my own mind regarding position size - Thank you very much!"

Imho both averaging down and heavily leveraged positions will work under the right market conditions and circumstances. It also comes with associated risks and consequences - an advanced technique indeed with very little margin for error.

Edited by onemove

personally for me. i find lowering leverage helped me alot.

if you have seen me around since the beginning. what changed is leverage.

i lowered it by alot.

i am still fine tuning and switching my methods as well as relearning more about the market and learning more about myself but what helps me when i get it all wrong is the lower leverage.

of course i hate low leverage because its like so much work to make $$. but i have a few live accounts that run parallel with my trading here n those that blow up(while this still stands and doubles++) is because it has the lowest leverage of all my accounts.

i have a live 400:1, 300:1, 50:1 with various brokers. so...basically i can see the real results for myself.

i guess because of my all or nothing style. the lower leverage helps me survive.

and my personality is quite gung ho risk-taker too.

stuff like personality is a factor in our trading too.

Actually, I doubled my equity as well. and another account with oanda mysteriously trippled the equity.

I did some research and found out that there were some fake ticks that caused sell orders to be closed out at 0.00000 price. So the profit will be very large on those trades where the fake tick occurred. Oanda customer service is aware of the issue and will advise when it is fixed.

That is amazing! Did this happened on certain pairs only?? I did not notice that in my account.

Actually, I doubled my equity as well. and another account with oanda mysteriously trippled the equity.

I did some research and found out that there were some fake ticks that caused sell orders to be closed out at 0.00000 price. So the profit will be very large on those trades where the fake tick occurred. Oanda customer service is aware of the issue and will advise when it is fixed.

That is amazing! Did this happened on certain pairs only?? I did not notice that in my account.

Across two separate demo accounts, GBPUSD, AUDUSD, and EURAUD. Based on this, I concluded with customer service that these fake ticks were occurring across multiple instruments. The Oanda representative acknowledged several other people reported the same incident.

Customer service claims the problem has been fixed. We will see. I wonder if they can fix the trade prices. They probably aren't too concerned as it is a demo account.

Well the contest is over, the results are. in.

Congratulation to Nicoacademia for a fine job.

I was thinking of taking a break from the contest for the month of July, resuming in August.

I will be posting the link to join a about 2 weeks ahead of time. This should give anyone interested plenty of time to get set up.

I am also thinking of going back to the 1 month format. Let me know if there are any objections to that.

c630.thumb.jpg.c97a23fc79b6e2f3dc6a3c8c1420f657.jpg

Congratulations Nicoacademia!

Thank you Mysticforex for administering the contest. Looking forward to the next one. No objections to change of format.

Well the contest is over, the results are. in.

Congratulation to Nicoacademia for a fine job.

I am also thinking of going back to the 1 month format. Let me know if there are any objections to that.

Congratulations Nico! Hardwork and discipline can and do pay off. The next piece of hardwork is maintaining the hard won discipline!

Maybe I'll try the next contest as see if I can give you a run for your currency ;)

Good Work!

Congratulations Nico! Hardwork and discipline can and do pay off. The next piece of hardwork is maintaining the hard won discipline!

Maybe I'll try the next contest as see if I can give you a run for your currency ;)

Good Work!

:D always welcome more participants to the contest :)

i learnt this while doing marathons, it's a phrase oft repeated.

"Run your own race."

means alot to me when im making decisions in trading.

clears up space in my emotions first and mind as its easy to see the market just go ballistic and feel like a total loser :crap: :doh: :angry: missing that out.