Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

shaunmp

Futures Markets (not US)

Trading methods on the HSI have me intrigued at the moment.

As I understand it, 10k would not be enough capital to begin trading the HSI but I'd still like to look into others, particularly anything that isn't US because of the trading hours.

Can anyone recommend a mini/micro futures market I can start researching/paper trading that will be at least a "little" friendly to an account of 10k.

My live trading experience thus far for the last 18 months has been Forex and a little bit of the ES in the beginning. Futures appeal to me and I'm ready to do all the homework on particular markets, I just need a little nudge in the right direction.

What mini markets/indexes are volatile enough these days and don't require a good 50k+ to start with? Again, preferably non US markets.

Much appreciated!

Shaun

I'm also interested in alternatives to the US. I trade FTSE futures but being in the uk this means starting at 8 in the morning. I would ideally like to trade before that.

I have recently started to researchn the SImex futures of the Nikkei, but for some reason the trading looks really thin. Also for some reason I can't get interactive brokers TWS to show the data in the asian session. Any ideas of markets is appreciated,

NICK.

Sent from my U20i using Tapatalk

Mini HSI (MHI with IB) is 1/5 full size and correspondingly reduced margin. It looks thin but its arbed to HSI so follows pretty closely, sometimes over or undershooting moves by 1 or 2 ticks.

Don't touch Nikkie on a non-Asian exchange. In order of size the options are:

Osaka Nikkie (big), Singapore SGX Nikkie, Osaka Mini-Nikkie (smallish and very very liquid)

Also, for a smallish one (because it doesnt move to fast) consider the Taiwanese index on SGX, STW.

But MHI and Mini Nikkie are probably the best fit.

Hi Kiwi thanks for the reply? I really need infor. about the Asian futures.

1)Is there a broker apart from IB that offers this contracts

2) DO you find asian markets "easier" than ES for example (i know liquidity can be an issue but is it really it? do you know how much volume is there for this markets in a daily basis?)

3) Please if you have some time, would you please post some chart of the mini hang seng)

4) how much could be a round turn of the mini hang seng?

Thanks Kiwi and thanks to all

Daniel

You could take a look at some Eurex products. The Schatz (FGBS) would be very manageable with a 10k account so long as you don't decide to go crazy on the size you trade. However, it's not for everyone. Not a big mover. I know many guys who like to trade the EuroStoxx (FESX) as it moves nicely and is liquid. That depends on the kind of margin you could get though.

1. I like IB but I think OpenECry might be offering them soon too.

2. I sleep while ES trades so I have no comparison.

3. A MHI trade looks exactly like an HSI chart although sometimes MHI will go a tick or two further and less often it will go a tick or two less.

4. Commission on MHI is usd3.14 so its about 2 ticks, while commission on HSI is $4.90 so its under 1 tick.

On the Nikkei question; I don't know it could be normal. I've never really lilked Nikkei because it doesnt move as much as HSI or STW or SPI even and I prefer to see the development. But it is very tradable ... the originator of the site was a pretty serious Nikkei trader.

Hi Kiwi thanks for the reply? I really need infor. about the Asian futures.

1)Is there a broker apart from IB that offers this contracts

2) DO you find asian markets "easier" than ES for example (i know liquidity can be an issue but is it really it? do you know how much volume is there for this markets in a daily basis?)

3) Please if you have some time, would you please post some chart of the mini hang seng)

4) how much could be a round turn of the mini hang seng?

Thanks Kiwi and thanks to all

Daniel

Trading methods on the HSI have me intrigued at the moment.

Hi tou can try Mini HSI or HHI these are highly liquid markets and I am trading these for over five years now. If you need more pl do contact me at

Personally I love the EuroFX, 6E. If you stick to the Euro open and NYSE open there are a plentiful of setups and liquidity to go around. Over the years between using both the ES and 6E I've found my trading is much more consistent, because a slow day in the ES may be offset by a big day in the Euro. Or a big day in both.

Today on the IB SIM we have the STW, the K200, and MHI. Each one with time and sales, the open book, and a simple chart.

Love my screen time...just need some wake up volume!

Cheers,

Xiao Si

5aa7109e9fed8_Aug302011AsianIndexfuts.thumb.PNG.7a560169e187d87cc8d4fb1f0bbc9371.PNG

Just a tax note for those who pay U.S. taxes. If you trade futures on a foreign exchange, this disqualifies your tax return from being filed electronically.

I have no idea why this rule is in place, but it is.

Just a tax note for those who pay U.S. taxes. If you trade futures on a foreign exchange, this disqualifies your tax return from being filed electronically.

I have no idea why this rule is in place, but it is.

The MHI is the mini heng sent that you were looking for....something like 2 aud per tick...The initial margin is like 15k hk dollars and the maintenance margin is another 12k hk dollars. So a 10k account should handle it. Still a bit under capitalized if you asked me personally though.

Cheers,

XS