Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Which products do you/do you intend to trade mainly?  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Which products do you/do you intend to trade mainly?

• Agriculture
    • Energy
    • Equities
    • Equity Index
    • FX
    • Interest Rate
    • Metals
    • Other

I read a lot of books and I understand that all that is there described has already passed. Market is changing very quickly.I expect to receive the information from the practitioners, not writers. I'll share what I know.

Sorry for my English. It is not my native language))

I don't have a large background, I have been trading for a year now and blew my account already once. I am focused on price and volatility and love Bollinger bands. I trade mostly futures (bonds, Crude Oil and Gold).

I have been reading a couple of books on the matter, such as Smart Streets and another one by Anna Coulling. But so far I have not grown too much faith on volume analysis.

I got disappointed by too many fake outs. Even the price theories stated in Smart Streets did not blow my mind anyways.

I trade only a couple of hours a day and love Sierra Chart.

Hey everyone i am completely new to the trading world and i am doing it mainly as a hobby because i was always interested in the stock market and i always wanted to understand it. I dont know where to start and what are the best websites to start trading and learning. I have a lot of questions about the stock market and hopefully you guys or girls can answer them for me because that would help me a lot... and therefore my questions are....

What is the best website to start trading ?

What is the best website or place to learn trading ?

What is the best method of trading ? Penny stocks , day trading ?

What is the process of trading ? do i use a broker or do i do it myself ? And what website provide these services?

Where do i learn to read charts ?

I just have to answer here. Seriously, get a little grip on reality. Trading is great, but a LITTLE more thinking is required.

> What is the best website to start trading ?

THE BEST? Google.com. There are a lot of ressources, but none is THE BEST.

> What is the best website or place to learn trading ?

Place? Your home, in your chair. Website? Google.com. SOME groundwork is needed from you, for example....

> What is the best method of trading ? Penny stocks , day trading ?

Question, what is better - steak or pasta? A LOT depeneds on your style and priorities. For example, I trade no stocks - futures and forex only.

> What is the process of trading ? do i use a broker or do i do it myself ?

Question - how do you do it yourself? Standing in front of your house and trying to buy and sell stocks from people passing by? Because YOU can not go to an exchange without buying an exchange seat. Handling the orders is what a broker does. So, what is the question here?

> And what website provide these services?

None. See, websites offer no services. This is like saying "i want to eat pizza, which flyer offers these services": A website is made by a company to advertise and facilitate it's business - and the COMPANY provides the services. Which one? Depends what you want to start trading. There are literally hundreds or thousands of brokers in different countries.

> Where do i learn to read charts ?

We are back to your chair in front of your desk. Tons of approaches, tons of material on google. Find an approach and then - well, books, but mostly sitting and trying to work things out.

Given your - hm - level if common sense demonstrated (by basically asking questions to generic that "google" is the only answer), I would suggest you open a tiny account with a decent reputable forex broker and walk through their introduction material. Oanda is good as you can trade super small sizes.

This place here is too. And they have a policy about not advertising other websites, you know. Likely you never read the material you signed when signing up here?

Now, let me be straight. Welcome here. And trading is great. But do not expect riches fast - it is a long road and it requires hard work from your side. Finding out what sources are good is part of the education.

Hi Everybody,

Long time, been traveling from Bogota DC (Colombia) to Lima (Peru) 4500km of amazing time with myself and my Motorcycle getting to know new places and new friends on the way,

view?usp=sharing

I am back now with new forces to new times in the market a very noisy one, I was very happy to know I am on the road while the big market noise move went on, I am a trend follower and this was real high tide for Volatility surfers (once again I live next to the beach so Surfing analogs are here),

Today I would like to talk with you about Holy Grail, The Holy grail, many people think you can find a system where you will never lose or lose very little, well my idea is to find a system that won’t give you any Emotional pain, a system where you are out of the emotional risks and you are fully prepared to face them,

Let say you know that if you are shake out of the trade, you placed a hard stop got stopped and the stock move back exactly as you thought, what will you do? What your trading plan guid you to do? If you have nothing and you know you are good with this action no problem, but what if this is the trigger for 5 revenge trades that worth nothing but bigger loss?

You must learn from your past, when did you lost control? What happen? What where the cues? After you have them build an emotional system that will live you out of this pitfalls, here you can reach a holy grail because this time it is all up to you,

Hope you trading the way you choose and not dragging into trades for action,

Wish you all the best,

Make the odds in your favor

Eldad Nahmany

ToBeComeADayTrader

Hello. Newbie here. I have next to no knowledge in trading, but am very interested in learning. My apologies for my lack of vocabulary,,

An old associate of mine a few years back was successful with some type of daily trading, however, I don't know exactly what he was doing or what it is called. I'm hoping someone can enlighten me on what he was doing based on the very limited info provided.

He was always talking about what he was doing but is now a distant memory and I only recall minor details.... I remember him saying something about only being able to put up a maximum amount of $5k daily. The account was not available to felons. And, he would "get in" early in the morning when the market would open, do his thing and get out within minutes and he was done for the day. Also made mention of being able to see everything live with everything updating every second.

I realize this isn't much information. If anyone can help, that would be great!

Thank you

adouble,

If he is still alive, why don’t you ask him?

Without more info, all we could do is guess.

Re: “I remember him saying something about only being able to put up a maximum amount of $5k daily.”

If he was trading futures, most likely this was the maximum amount he allowed himself to lose per day. (this is not as likely, but if he was trading options, this may have been the maximum premium he allowed himself to buy (or sell) per day.)

Re: “The account was not available to felons.”

No help. We’re all felons now.

... Actually that is / was a ‘requirement’ / chkbox for futures (and options) accounts.

Re: “And, he would "get in" early in the morning when the market would open, do his thing and get out within minutes and he was done for the day. “

... sounds like this was some years ago... pre ‘machine driven’ days...

Basically, he scalped the open. In the first ~ 20 - 40 minutes - depending on the instrument - markets create an ‘opening range’ and most days they establish/ed this o range very quickly. This morning in indexes the o range was established in the first 6 min. after the open...

Some people have a knack for it. For some that knack is cyclical. For weeks or months, they get attuned and can ‘channel’ what the opening and the following few minutes will do... then the ‘gift’ fades away...ie they accumulate stress past what they can easily recover from and lose their resilience... and most of the time when that happens they give up and fade away too... instead of periodically testing for their own cyclicity coming back around. With practice you can get better at it.

There are 'technical' methods to catch these O breakouts / thrusts. (and there techs to catch the breakouts of the opening range after it has established...but that's a different topic...)

Either way...You need + 60% hit rate minimum to make it work. You need to be brutally quick to accept being wrong / losses ...

Re “Also made mention of being able to see everything live with everything updating every second.”

He had a live feed or live charts. Duh ;)

Hth

zdo

PS I never read a post on brain fog that was clear.

Edited by zdo

Hello. Newbie here. I have next to no knowledge in trading, but am very interested in learning. My apologies for my lack of vocabulary,,

An old associate of mine a few years back was successful with some type of daily trading, however, I don't know exactly what he was doing or what it is called. I'm hoping someone can enlighten me on what he was doing based on the very limited info provided.

He was always talking about what he was doing but is now a distant memory and I only recall minor details.... I remember him saying something about only being able to put up a maximum amount of $5k daily. The account was not available to felons. And, he would "get in" early in the morning when the market would open, do his thing and get out within minutes and he was done for the day. Also made mention of being able to see everything live with everything updating every second.

I realize this isn't much information. If anyone can help, that would be great!

Thank you

Your friend was either telling the truth or lying.

It has been a couple of years since I set up a new account. If I recall, there was a question concerning if you had ever defaulted on a trading account. Other than that, and as long as your money is good, I don't think they care... maybe, I'm wrong though. I think everyone is welcome once you've done your time...

After a good day, you may feel like you have committed a felony. After a bad day...?

"Some days you eat the bear; some days the bear eats you"...

hey everyone, i am from trinidad and tobago, and i am not a U.S resident, so many online trading websites do not let me use their websites because i am not a U.S citizen.

Any suggestions of websites that are international? But if there is an international website, that also lets you trade without a broker that would make things easier as well, but i will take whatever suggestions that you guys throw at me, because i am still learning and trying to find a trading platform....

But i am not a U.S citizen so it is hard......

Quantative Developer & Trader

Currencies & Commodities

Started out as a kid with Stocks

Later Spreads and Binaries

Futures & FX

i used to work in the City of London - i have developed systems from spreadsheet stock trading systems for institutions like GMS in the 1990s, some of the first online stock trading systems for Chase and various - to whole back office systems for Interbank FX for CLS - State street Corp etc..

Anyway i quit the regulated mind blowing rules and went out on my own in 2006 – As a trader and also developer – now I can be free to create and experiment and not care about things like SOX.

I run an online small company MicroTrends which offers solutions and products for retail and Commercial traders for NinjaTrader -also i work with hedge funds and private managed futures funds working in Fix API c# environments

I have some free developers/ traders tools for creating and powering strategies in NinjaTrader and if allowed i might post some details as i would like other developers to use them and feedback etc. These are unmanaged strategy libraries which allow a developer to simply enter the logic for Trade Setup, Filter & Exits - so with just a few lines of code - even a beginner developer can leverage off the shelf signal execution, filters, order management and automatic trade management and guide any strategy in real-time via a user interface - i have created a SDK and API with open source so it’s easy to see how to use it - some vendor/educators sell less able products for many 1000s - 5K, some are powered by MTDS - others that are not compared to this system has a tonne of features and options they can simply not write or provide - and its free for sim and development... It’s called the MTDS - i'm not quite sure if i can post details here yet - links or things etc.

This seems like a place perhaps where some trader/developers might like that idea.

What i will be doing is migrating this also to NT8 it will be great to get some people to use and try it and get involved – and for them to use it and based on feedback it can evolve

thank you

Tom

Hey everyone,

My name is Erik, and I have joined this website to keep learning about the forex market and to stay up-to-date with it. It is great knowing that learning about this market is a never ending mission. I believe these forums are great to see what traders are asking and what they have in store for us all.

Cheers,

Erik

Hi,

New member of the TL Team as well. Started out just over 6 years ago and trade

Forex exclusively. In the beginning I made all the noob mistakes you read about, and

have several blown accounts to prove it. I then had the very good fortune of having an experienced trader take me under his wing and get me moving down the right path.

For the most part, I am a counter trend trader. I trade off the 1 minute thru 4 hour charts.

My favorite pairs are the GBP crosses.

In addition to trading, I love Sailing, Scuba, and Motorcycles.

I am new to Traders Lab as well. Been day trading for almost 2 yrs. Nice to know I'm not the only one who has blown my acct. ... more than once. Have found that getting to know my instrument helps a ton so I've stuck to CL for months now. I incorporate a system that follows "support and resistance" with a heavy "trend follow" design.

My mentor has helped me set up a "plan" that is working very well now. Like they say in "golf", I have to "groove my swing".

Hello,

I want to introduce myself to the community. I am recently released from prison a place where I was for fourteen years. During my stay there I learned about trading. I fell in love with trading and the markets, I am more geared toward technical analysis. I read over a hundred books on trading and have taken some courses. I studied, charted and back tested by hand many different things. I allowed myself personal study time of 4-6 hours a day seven days a week. I charted everything by hand for about a decade of my prison stay. I have a nice paper trading record. However we all know that paper trading is not the same as real trading.

I got my cherry popped in the real trading arena this past week. I was not prepared for the fast paced momentum of the price quotes on the lower time frames, but it was nice. I am with Global futures / Gain capital and plan on making this work for my profession. I won't take failure as an option. I would like to know if anyone can help point me in the right direction on a couple of things as I am new to everything. I was in a cage for 14 years, you can only imagine how blown away I am with all the new technology.

First of all I would like to know if anyone knows of any way I can keep trade logs with digital charts and voice recorder. What can I get for this and where can I get it. I have no problem cutting and pasting. I just don't want to keep a written trading journal anymore, I am looking to upgrade.

Second I would like to know of a good alert system on my Android phone to let me know if certain prices are hit.

I know these are simple things but just want to know if someone can help point me in the right direction. I am open to any other advice offered in the real of trading. You can reach me via email at

markettalk411@yahoo.com

I look forward to being a part of this trading community.

Thank you.

Well hey man... welcome back.

I'm a little surprised that they don't insist on more marketable skills training in prison. "Gawd damn tax money going for this nonsense" (but, I suppose that you needed to have something to do). Then again, we are all criminals in some regard, so you should fit right in.

You do understand that most folks fail at this business... kinda like crime.

With all due respect... I'll be picking your pockets sometime soon...

Best of good fortune to you.

... What can I get for this and where can I get it. ... I just don't want to keep a written trading journal anymore, I am looking to upgrade.

I have gotten good results with a small Sony digital voice recorder and Dragon… been using the same recorder for 8+ years now … only replaced batteries once... useful for other things too.

hth

New here as well. Not quite as interesting story to tell, but just one question for you if it's not too personal. How did you come up with the money to trade if you've been out for 14 years?

As for your phone alert system. If you sign up for a paper trading account from TDAmeritrade, you'll get access to their ThinkOrSwim charting system, which is pretty highly regarded. You can set all kinds of technical alerts in ToS. You can then install their mobile app on your Android phone and will receiver alerts through it as well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.devexperts.tdmobile.platform.android.thinkorswim

Best of luck.

-W

I am an experienced trader, trading futures, mainly Nifty Futures, Indian Markets. I trade using Price Action.

Wishing to learn a lot here, and share, too.

Thanks,

Ash V