Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

jackb

PowerCharting Joins TTM

If Hoffman shows all his trades in real time then it shouldn't be a problem for someone to show an accounting of what he has made in the last year. There must be someone that is tracking it. I have heard that he made about 100k in trading profits in the last year... up until the big loss, that is.

Can anyone verify how many *paying* members he has? It used to be that he had a chat room and you could see how many people were in there. I highly doubt he has 1000 people. I watched him for awhile in the early days when he had a few hundred people. You could watch the numbers drop off until he cut off the chat room so no one could see how few were left.

During the first year or so he would have quite a few good days and then blow all the profits on one bad trade. He did that a number of times. I tracked his P&L and depending upon what his commissions were he was lucky to break even. Back then he was trading ES and would often start with 10 to 20 contracts. He then smartened up and dropped down to starting with 1 or 2 contracts so he didn't get in over his head so soon. I guess this strategy worked for awhile as he overpowered the markets, but eventually it caught up with him (as the Martingale strategy always seems to do). His winning percentage was always impressive, but in the end it didn't mean anything. The markets can always stay irrational longer than a wild trader can stay liquid.

What you can be quite assured of is that if he took that large of a loss and is still coming back to teach people, he is making even more money on training. It takes a lot of guts, not to mention a grandiose personality, to trade like he does and then turn it into a "learning experience" for everyone else and charge them in the process. The bottom line is that most starting traders will never make it with his style because they never know at the start of a trade if it is going to end up as a large position. I think what he is doing is financial suicide for most daytraders.

bottom line: Don't trade with Hoffman.

He must have had some BALLS to trade 800+ contracts!

I hope people stop defending him saying how a wonderful trader he was. He's no better than the rest of us...he bet the whole farm on that trade and was closed out by his own broker! :doh:

Was Rob using the "TTM Squeeze This" indicator???
I'm told he has not used it, except that, from time to time, he'll say it agrees with his trend indicator. If you'll look at the YouTube video (post #98), you'll see his screen. Top part has price and nine moving averages, next is volume, next his trend, next TTM squeeze, bottom is RSI. The TTM squeeze replaced a standard MACD.

The left-hand window showing the price quotes normally has the Infinity DOM in the top two-thirds of the screen, with the bottom third displaying another window, showing a more limited number of price quotes.

You can see this for yourself by looking at some of his back YouTube stuff.

Do tell.

By gum it most certainly sounds like you speak from personal experience - may we assume so? Regardless, why slander a record that 99.99% of traders (sheeples) would give their right arm for I wonder? According to you folks, the other .01% of traders are the real winners. Isn't that typical of "sour grapes"?

LMAO! What EXACTLY is smoke and mirrors? That he went 535 straight days without a losing trade? - WOW, is that ever a bunch of lies hey? Or is it that he trades on a simulator? ROFL!

The mentality of traders is one amazing thing - not that I can blame their thinking entirely - thanks to all the genuine scam artists in this biz.

Well, I can and do crack up at all the ridiculous assumptions and unsubstantiated accusations by the unknowing and self proclaimed successful traders who aim their forked tongues at Rob.

FWIW, when I first came across Rob on YouTube, I set out to discredit him - and I am just the guy who could do it - trust me on that - or don't - whatever..........but after spending a few days studying what he taught, it was plain to see that this dude is awesome!

If y'all can stomach it, watch this clip...............IMO, it bespeaks volumes about him - - - - otherwise, for one of his routine setups, just go to about the 9:30 mark for a minute or so.

Been there, done that, understand where y'all are coming from - but in this case, he is well worth investigating - IMO.

Sounds like you're just trying to make excuses for being one of those sheeple.

I'm told he has not used it, except that, from time to time, he'll say it agrees with his trend indicator. If you'll look at the YouTube video (post #98), you'll see his screen. Top part has price and nine moving averages, next is volume, next his trend, next TTM squeeze, bottom is RSI. The TTM squeeze replaced a standard MACD.

The left-hand window showing the price quotes normally has the Infinity DOM in the top two-thirds of the screen, with the bottom third displaying another window, showing a more limited number of price quotes.

You can see this for yourself by looking at some of his back YouTube stuff.

I don't watch his youtube videos so was not sure....whatever he was using it sure did not work. :doh:

Given today's price action, I'm expecting to hear about another Hoffman blow-up. Can anybody provide details on Hoffman's trades today?

LOLOL!!!

Sounds like you had no clue rofl!!

All I will say as one of his students who no longer needs to - or does participate in his room is......KFC!!!!!!!!!(Kerr friggen Ching!!!!!!)

Thanks Rob!!!

LOLOL!!!

Sounds like you had no clue rofl!!

All I will say as one of his students who no longer needs to - or does participate in his room is......KFC!!!!!!!!!(Kerr friggen Ching!!!!!!)

Thanks Rob!!!

You don't sound convincing... you just do not have the aura of a winner. I do not detect any substance to what you say. You sound more like a wannabe paper trader. I could be wrong, but then, on an anonymous forum, even if I were right, or even if you were right, so what?

No skin off your back... Carry on.

Edited by Tams

For me the message is clear (if for the moment we ignore the shill)

You can't provide good quality education in a room of 1000 students....you can't provide personal attention....you can't (apparently) manage risk properly.....and you can't really do more than simply call out the trades...and hope for the best...

Clearly the people in the room are not likely to learn enough to become professionals...and although in a room of 1000 there must be some who make money.....I would bet there are few (if any) who do so consistently...

Excellent marketing however and probably profitable for the principals and TTM....

A good "object lesson" as to WHAT NOT TO DO if you want to learn how to trade as a professional.

For me the message is clear (if for the moment we ignore the shill)

FYI, the only place you could have gotten that "clear message" is from others who also have no clue. - - - -ooohhhhh, here comes that dreaded "shill" name calling again.

For the record, I could care less if anyone ever subscribes to his room or his methods - I just think it's a shame to slander the best educator in the markets today.

You can't provide good quality education in a room of 1000 students....you can't provide personal attention....you can't (apparently) manage risk properly.....and you can't really do more than simply call out the trades...and hope for the best...

Perhaps YOU can't provide a good quality education, but try very hard not to base the talents of others on your own inadequacies.

Oh, and for the record, Rob NEVER "called out trades".......he actually trades his real money in real time right on the screen in HD, in front of everyone - 100% transparent - while he is explaining his reasons and expectations for taking the trade - THAT is routine in his room.

And where do you come up with 1000 people in his room? The freebies maight attract that many, but there's not that many in his LTR. When I was in his LTR, he maxed out at like 40 or so. Again, you and the other critics make unsubstantiated assumptions about something you really have zero clue about. Again, I will ask you to try hard as you can to stop doing that!

Clearly the people in the room are not likely to learn enough to become professionals...and although in a room of 1000 there must be some who make money.....I would bet there are few (if any) who do so consistently...

Well Mr. expert, what does it take for people to learn? He teaches discipline - will people learn discipline? How about if he teaches it in real time? How about if he teaches it using his own account real time? He leads his students to water - but he can't make them drink it.

With all your educational, trading savvy and expertise, please point out a better way for people to learn.

So he made a bad trade - so what? His discipline flew out the window - so what? It happens. He's been a multi-millionaire at least since I've known him..........can anyone here get it through their pea brains that $300k to a guy with millions is chicken feed?

FYI, the only place you could have gotten that "clear message" is from others who also have no clue. - - - -ooohhhhh, here comes that dreaded "shill" name calling again.

For the record, I could care less if anyone ever subscribes to his room or his methods - I just think it's a shame to slander the best educator in the markets today.

Perhaps YOU can't provide a good quality education, but try very hard not to base the talents of others on your own inadequacies.

Oh, and for the record, Rob NEVER "called out trades".......he actually trades his real money in real time right on the screen in HD, in front of everyone - 100% transparent - while he is explaining his reasons and expectations for taking the trade - THAT is routine in his room.

And where do you come up with 1000 people in his room? The freebies maight attract that many, but there's not that many in his LTR. When I was in his LTR, he maxed out at like 40 or so. Again, you and the other critics make unsubstantiated assumptions about something you really have zero clue about. Again, I will ask you to try hard as you can to stop doing that!

Well Mr. expert, what does it take for people to learn? He teaches discipline - will people learn discipline? How about if he teaches it in real time? How about if he teaches it using his own account real time? He leads his students to water - but he can't make them drink it.

With all your educational, trading savvy and expertise, please point out a better way for people to learn.

So he made a bad trade - so what? His discipline flew out the window - so what? It happens. He's been a multi-millionaire at least since I've known him..........can anyone here get it through their pea brains that $300k to a guy with millions is chicken feed?

You seem awfully sensitive Mr. Hoffman....sorry to have upset you...however

Its well known that martingale strategies are losers....period....we assume that you are intelligent enough to know this...therefore it is irresponsible to teach students to assume that kind of risk....clearly this isn't quality education....try to keep up...the logic is clear.

Point people to a better way...in my classes I demonstrate "a better way" everyday...

Sorry about your problem...but really shouldn't you go back to school to learn how its done....send me a PM and next year (if I decide to do this again) I will send you an application for admission to the class.

Thanks for you comment

Steve

Well it has to be difficult to spin it this don't you think?

Based on what we hear, every time the guy got into a losing trade he simply switched to another time frame and doubled down.....so instead of getting stopped out, he used his account size to buy some time "betting" that the market would turn around before he ran out of money.......(again thats what we understand from what has been posted)...

Now from my point of view if you suggest to the public that you haven't had a losing trade in several years (again that is what was posted previously) and the truth is you have been in many losing trades but simply used your account size to keep from having to "realize" (take) that loss, then (in my opinion) this is nothing more than pure deception.

From my point of view (if the information is true) it doesn't matter whether you have a shill like NoProblem go around to trading sites trying to spin in as some kind of misunderstanding, or whether he simply got caught....my conclusion is the same. At minimum its irresponsible and if I am correct its a bit more than that, isn't it.....

By the way folks, now we hear from NoProblem that Mr. Hoffman never had 1000 people in the room, apparently it was more like 40.......quite a discrepancy don't you think....and why didn't the guy state this much earlier in the thread? Hmmmm.

Edited by steve46

ETF - BTW, Kyle is making the new PROX Bars available on a persons own charting now by releasing the programming code.... [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3mBP6JVna8&feature=related]‪PROX Bars Basic Intro (logic based price bars)‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

I looked at the TTM-Hoffman game and it looked pretty scary to me. I think the chart arrangement is terrible and using moving averages to peg support and resistance levels was weak. Some of the important criteria I use to evaluate these systems is if I think the average trader can duplicate was is taught. The TTM-Hoffman game is again weak in that department imo.

I did find a simple system I am going to evaluate next month which is focused on intraday trend following. I met the developer in Houston recently who has built color coded price bars with order flow data he calls prox bars. I took a look at the prox bars from his trendscalping site and the charts he had on his laptop looked simple enough. I need simple charts without bunches of indicators and I will give this a shot.

Out of curiosity I was in the free live trade room today...

The Hoff's only trade was a 5 tick winner on the TF....Unfortunately even this one trade couldn't actually be seen "live" because Hubert had taken over to highlight today's "Special Offer".

Probably the most interesting takeaway was discovering the TTM revenue for 2010 was $4.3 million, up from $495,308 in 2007.... Now that's a nice "trade"

Edited by Moyyim

Popped in the free room again today...

Seems not much has changed in the "The Hoff's" style .

- Entered with 1 x ctrct on TF

- price moves about 15 ticks offside.

- Some humming and hahing about adding maybe 3....or maybe 4 contracts to "improve cost average"

- moves a bit further south so decides to add 6 contacts .

- Takes the loss after some further downside movement

Move along now folks, nothing to see here.......its business as usual

you can't 'review' his style due to his pocket is deeper than yours.

:rofl:.... ok.

Anyway... as per the webinar info from TTM...."...The live trading room is geared towards small lot (1-3 contract) traders ..."

How does adding 6 contracts to 1 ..or "slapping down 9 cars"... fit in with the above directive ?

Seems "The Hoff" cant even stick to the simple game plan when he feels the "pressure" of just 1 contract going 15 ticks offside....Oh dear

While I am not new to trading I have left for a few years.

Martingale strategy, isn't that the same thing as double down?

Works great till till you blow up like it did in 2009. Couldn't trade after that (f**k geithner):crap:

BUT that's because I kept calling my broker to raise my maximum loss for the day. (3 times)

Only reason I did that was because I though I knew the markets, that it was gonna turn around at some point. When your making 500-1500 a day for, you think your the shit.

Had I taken a small loss I would have still been trading. Sure I would have had losses, but when you get in at pivot points crossing with ma, lots of price action, you can most always get out without bleeding. (I don't remember the name but i think it was at 6th ave and 26th street that used this strategy a lot)

I have not read this entire thread but from what I could remember, Robert used pivots with support and resistance levels that coincide with many indicators. He liked to trade PA going in and out of trades real quick.

BTW back then Infinity was charging 3.8 for round trip for ES, if you where one of his students. What is is now?

Anyone have a oood cheap broker?

(chaos still around? he had a good free room, where guys used to just talk trades they where making)