Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

youngsequan

I Need Help Finding These Stocks

I noticed when a stock breaks through a major resistance or consolidation, and has increased volume it tends to continue to go up.

How do i find these stocks on the day it makes the break through?

As you can see on the charts I provided, this is what I'm looking for

Is there some software when I can preform a scan to find stocks that fit this criteria?

ANR.thumb.jpg.514b3fd02faad345ce131fd25493348a.jpg

PCS.thumb.jpg.071ebfd65f03876c40a28cfe0cdfa75f.jpg

SHLD.thumb.jpg.6c5fdcf6e81b0590ea8263d001bdad26.jpg

I noticed when a stock breaks through a major resistance or consolidation, and has increased volume it tends to continue to go up.

Is there some software when I can preform a scan to find stocks that fit this criteria?

any programmable charting software (ie TradeStation, MultiCharts, Ninjatrader, etc.,) can scan for any criteria you like.

Personally I use MetaStock for this kind of query, but like Tams said pretty much every major charting application has this functionality.

The real problem you're going to face is how to define support and resistance zones programmatically. None of the aforementioned packages offer a "find major resistance" function out of the box, that's something you'll have to code yourself.

Stocks On The Move from Stocks, Investing, Business, and Finance News - Investors.com is a good service to find these kinds of stocks. I like their service because they track what breakout stocks other investors are looking at, too.

In terms of software packages, try to find a good Darvas Box indicator for your charting package. They have one available for TradeStation. I like to use Darvas Boxes for breakout support/resistance levels. You can also use the 1/2 width of box, full width of box to 1/2 width / full width of box for targets and stops, so it makes managing your risk:reward at at least 1:1 pretty easy.

Hope that's helpful.

DaveDM

There are a number of softwares and sites geared towards pattern recognition and / or breakouts.

Today's Breakouts Chart Pattern Recognition Scanner

Stock Breakout Trading | Providing Daily Breakout Signals

Chartpattern.com - Free Technical Stock Chart Analysis - Dan Zanger

Thomas Bulokowski provides a piece of free sofwtare that tracks emerging software patterns, and most of the bug packages there are 3rd party add ons to do the same

What is Autochartist | Autochartist

Also look at the Investor BUsiness Daily site which I believe has info to supoprt this.

YOu need to scan the web really as many sites offer atch lists and alerts and there are numerous packages claiming to support pattern recognition and hence breakouts.

I don't use any of the above sites / systems and am not associated with them, so please ensure you do any due diligence if you look at any of them

youngsequan,

use advanced search top of this page. for "peterjerome"

look at post dated 11/24/2010

2 charts attached for NOV show technique used for breakouts using PnF chart.

check it out...if you have any questions, ask.

Peter.

take a look @ FINVIZ.com - Stock Screener

th_20110106195741_Immagine2.JPG

There is a service based on the CANSLIM method that lists each day's breakouts based on that method. the basic list is free each day, and there is paid for service for more detail. That may be an easy way to get your watch list and use your own filters as to whaich one s(if any) to follow.

Go to Canslim.com to find outr more.

Again, I don't have any associatiosn with this service and have not used it, so do due diligence before parting with money for the service and before investing your hard earned money.

Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. Will Rogers

Genius...was Will talking about Breakouts? IF they don't go up, you DON'T buy.

for those following the breakout stuff, I listed 10 breakout candidates earler and 9 of them didn't go up.

the one that did go up was ALK. if you bought ALK at breakout on 1/7/11 you're up 3.4%. breakout traders see the nuance comments on BB(bollinger band) on attached chart

if you use the CCI method(my preference) you're up +10%. i posted earlier on this method, but here's the analysis for ALK.

entry on 1/5/11 two days before the breakout.

requirements for entry:

1) trendline break TLB,

2)cross above significant level. (in this case the +100 line),

3) Swing Low Pivot occurs. (LOW followed by Lower LOW, followed by Higher LOW

there are also several nuances identified. (nuances increase your edge slightly like getting 51% vs. 50% in Vegas). nuances become more "visible" the more years you watch them. .

peter

5aa710567e694_ALKBreakout.thumb.png.6649612b5c6d3a7ce26166370eccb0fc.png

more will rogers:

3 of 10 stocks on the W.R. breakout list triggered and are profitable.

ATK, ANDE, UNH.

could TBL be next...27 getting close

WARNING, TRADING IS VERY RISKY...YOU COULD LOSE ALL YOUR MONEY !!!

peter.