Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

MadMarketScientist

Round TWO - Predict the Market Close Contest - Win $$$

The end of the month looms large for those still wishing to enter a guess as to where oh where might the market be by year end. You risk nothing other than an incorrect guess and the otential reward is $1000. Now I know some of you don't even have 1K left in your trading accounts ... so why not do a little revenge trading right here and try to get it back via the TL Contest?

Best Wishes,

Thales

I'm with you on that. I think people get afraid to maybe put themselves out there but really, nobody is judging you -- we all know it's an educated guess. So put in your best educated guess and let it ride. Nobody will think any differently of you in the morning :)

Here is my guess for the quarterly, March 31, 2011 Guess the Close:

SPX: 1313.25

INDU: 12036.24

COMPX: 2862.51

My guess for the 2011 Year End Guess the Close will be in by January 31, 2011.

Here is my guess for the year end:

SPX: 1576.09

INDU: 14424.65

COMPX: 3319.40

Best Wishes,

Thales

We just finished version 1.0 of this contest and we'll have three lucky winners of Amazon Gift Cards (top value: $500!) -- predicting the year end closes of the INDU, SPX and COMPX.

So let's do it again. Starting right now predict the closing prices of the Down Jones (INDU), S&P 500 (SPX) and the Nasdaq Composite (COMPX) at the end of the first quarter -- March, 31st 2011.

You simply reply to this thread with your predictions and if you feel like it tells us about the tea leaves or psychic powers you used to come up with your numbers, or maybe actual financial analysis (guess).....

This is Contest #1.

The Contest #2 for the ultimate Market Grand Wizard is to predict the exact same indices closing prices -- but this time at December 31st, 2011. End of the year.

You can enter one or both - just clarify in your forum reply which your numbers are for. Quarter end or year end.

How about prizes you say?

Contest #1 - Quarterly Close

First Prize: $250 Amazon.com Gift Card

Second Prize: $100 Amazon.com Gift Card

Third Prize: $50 Amazon.com Gift Card

Contest #2 - Yearly Close

First Prize: $1,000 Amazon.com Gift Card

This one it's all about being #1 -- so it's one mega grand prize.

There are a few catches.

Catch #1: We must have at least 30 entries for the quarterly contest. So get your TL buddies or other trading friends to post their submissions here. We have to have at least 30 and the contest is a go. And, the deadline to submit for the quarterly contest is Tuesday, January 11th.

Catch #2: For the Annual contest we need at least 50 entries -- and those are due no later than January 31st.

Catch #3: The winner will be determined by the suggestions of fell TL member Blowfish, by taking the closing price in each index, calculating the difference between your prediction and the close and then adding those up. The person with the lowest number(s) wins it. This way you are rewarded for being accurate across the board.

Whomever is the closest when we add all three of these market indices closing prices will be crowned the TradersLaboratory.com Market Prediction Champion (TLMPC!!!)

You can only enter one time per person and there are no "Editing" of your post allowed (nice try.) However, seek out your trading friends and have them enter and then demand a percentage when they win as your finder's fee. Remember we need enough entrants for us to just give away all that dough.

Ready, set, predict!

MMS

First prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize you're fired.

Glenn Gary Glen Ross

The end-of-quarter close is in...

attachment.php?attachmentid=24043&d=1301655070

I wonder who won! I know it wasn't me.

I'm not sure if there were ever enough contestants for a prize, but it's still fun to see who won and how close people came.

If I get time over the weekend, and no one has done it yet, I might try to figure it out...

5aa7106663f75_3-31-2011Close.JPG.0c8a2349c42070c2123d29c234956363.JPG

This was done quickly, so no guarantees, but I get:

First Place: TradeRunner

Second Place: StevenSJC

Third Place: thalestrader

I've attached my spreadsheet if anyone wants to see it. I think I calculated the winners according to the rules of the competition, but I could have messed up...

The names are in order from earliest entry-date to latest, so as you can see, whether you count the people who entered after the original deadline or not, it doesn't affect the winners.

Cory

TLComp.xls

This was done quickly, so no guarantees, but I get:

First Place: TradeRunner

Second Place: StevenSJC

Third Place: thalestrader

I've attached my spreadsheet if anyone wants to see it. I think I calculated the winners according to the rules of the competition, but I could have messed up...

The names are in order from earliest entry-date to latest, so as you can see, whether you count the people who entered after the original deadline or not, it doesn't affect the winners.

Cory

Cool - what do I win or will I have to make do with the satisfaction of beating thales? ;)

(Thanks for calculating this Cory)