Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

OsbourneCox

How Many Trades Do You Make Each Day?

I have found I kept missing out on taking small gains trying to get the larger moves of 50-100 cents in a ~100 stock. So I'm wondering if the key is to aim for smaller gains while keeping an eye on possible larger moves. This would lead to more trades per day but might be better for the bottom line in the end.

Given that, I'm curious:

• How many trades do you put on in a day?
  • What's your ideal target that you're aiming for? (Described as percent of stock move or percent of position gained or just plain cents moved / dollars made.)
  • What's your average holding time?

these are similar to the questions that I have, minus one very important one. Where do y'all set your stop losses at? Again, I'm asking for this in a percentage form.

Given that, I'm curious:

• What's your ideal target that you're aiming for? (Described as percent of stock move or percent of position gained or just plain cents moved / dollars made.)

for stocks.....depending on the market type - bull/bear etc.

Answers are generally....

1) 2-3 trades per day (this may mean 1 trade per day in 2-3 different stocks)

2 ) no specific target, such as 5 x risk. It depends on the pattern I am looking at....eg; sometimes you look at levels, other times you get lucky and a move occurs quickly, other times you just want to let it run until it tells you to get out.

3) see answer 2....generally 3-4 days. Though may be less than a day or may be months.

I don't like to put a limit on the number of trades I'll do in a day, but I do have a very strict rule about losing. I use very small stops, so three stop outs in a row, and I'm out for the day.

If you attempt to catch the top or the bottom of the day, then I would suggest letting it run. For example, if the stock is pulling back to its 50 sma and it's in an uptrend on the daily, then I will take a few entries around the 50 with very small stops. Then, if buying pressure does come in strongly, I'll sit back and let it turn into a swing trade. Nothing wrong with risk 10 cents and making 20 dollars.

Hi Guy's

I have a target every day and trade accordingly for that.

If that means 1 trade then that’s all I do, but if that takes more than 1 trade so be it.

It all depends on why your trading, I personally trade to have fun and test my skills and I always look at my results good or bad and analyse what I did well and where I can improve my game plan.

With stops I personally use the previous swing low/high + or – 1 pip, depending on the market conditions and which entry system I’m using my stops are generally less than 10 pips and yes I’m a scalper.

1pipatatime

hey Guys m from India

actually I trade Indian markets specially NSE(Nifty) stocks

1. i put in 4-6 trades a day( 2-3 in morning and 2-3 in evening)

2. i go for 2:1 risk reward ratios only after i see any setups, patterns forming according to my style of trading

3. my holding time is of three types:a) once i get stopped out 2) till my target is reached 3) when market tells me its time to exit.

I have found I kept missing out on taking small gains trying to get the larger moves of 50-100 cents in a ~100 stock. So I'm wondering if the key is to aim for smaller gains while keeping an eye on possible larger moves. This would lead to more trades per day but might be better for the bottom line in the end.

Given that, I'm curious:

i guess i will be the guy with the most trades....

1) i do around 100-150 trades per day but i trade futures

2) i go for a few ticks normally 3-6 and i am trying to risk similar amount

3) average is 15-20 seconds but 99% is few second with few trades few minutes