Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

forrestang

Any Good Charities You Guys Know or Participate In?

Howdy,

Something I've always fantasized about doing was being able to give regularly to various charities that do work I agree with or appreciate. Recently, as in a few months ago, I started giving regularly to an organization named "Cross International." They help orphans in various countries, right now they are mainly participating in Mozambique and other places in that region. At least thats what it's been since I've begun donating.

I'm sure I help out as much as I can, and I can do more. Also it's not like I have boatloads of cash laying around like I hope one day and I would be able to be more active. So maybe I should look to donate my time if possible as well.

I would also like to find more charities that contribute in various ways in the states as well. So I figured anyone else that enjoys helping others when they can have other charities they like to help out? Wether it be ways to be involved locally or abroad, post up if you don't mind talking about it.

I'm relatively new at this, so I've always been worried about scammers etc, or charities that may not be providing the help they claim to provide. So any insight on ways to weed out the fraudulent charities as well may be helpful to talk about here.

I'd like to keep this post open ended with regards to helping others, so post up any experiences or insights you have.

Edited by forrestang

The local food shelf is usually about as good as it gets as far as percentage of overhead, etc. I know in our little town here it is all volunteer so it is 100% going where it is supposed to and their buying power is impressive. A dollar given to them amounts to a lot.

I know we tend to think of people here who go to food shelves as being bums sponging off the system, and I'm sure there are flaws in every system, but a couple years ago I was facing a tough time and thought, it could easily be me as well as anybody in those lines. I started writing them a monthly check and it has helped me considerably.

There are numerous programs like "Big Brother" or mentoring programs to volunteer for. I have always enjoyed coaching little league baseball and I have been involved heavily building a youth recreation facility in our town, (these are things rural communities have such a hard time paying for, so lots of volunteer time needed).

I have spent time thinking about charities to give too around the world and then I realized there are things to do right in my back yard. People need help all over and there are lots of kids who need role models.

We also have a couple people we sponsor through a Catholic Church program. I think it is a pretty good program but you never know. I can't remember the name of the program, my wife writes that check...

Good topic.

charitable giving can be a very personal subject and I have a few rules that I apply in a general sense, and dont have any favourites.

I usually give to....

local charities rather than global ones. eg; bush fire brigades, volunteer organisations for the elderly.

charities that actually change perceptions or improve conditions such that they 'self empower' people to help themselves.

larger charities that can prove they are properly managed, and the money does not go into administration.... its sometimes scary seeing how little money gets to the actual cause

I also often sponser friends if they are doing a walk or run or something when they are trying to raise money for a particular cause.

I usually try and avoid charities that try and cure medical conditions just so that we can live a little longer than normal....purely personal.

Some personal notes on charity:

Starting close to home, my wife has been a community leader in ameliorating hunger in our community. In addition to being a member of the board of the Hunger Task force, she co-founded our community's rescued foods program working with the state legislators to provide protection to the donors with a Good Samaritan law. The lesson: besides money, donating of your time is a great idea.

When solicited by charities it is always a good idea to know their performance with respect to administration and fund raising costs. I check the following online site:

Charity Navigator - Your Guide to Intelligent Giving

Kiva is a great way to give back to communities.

people who are less fortunate who struggle to get the funds together from an institution to start a business, use funds donated through Kiva and then repay the funds over a period of time. this enables you to re lend the money to another entrepreneur and the cycle continues. the local lender charges interest to the person at reasonable rates, but you get your principle back.

anyway check it out if you are interested. it is all on this site

cheers

Kiva - Loans that change lives

Over the years, I have attempted to narrow down just where I want to donate to. It is far too easy to be overtaken with the magnitude of those wanting something. I have two areas where I donate on a regular basis.

One, is the Sick Kids hospital here in Canada. They do outstanding work when it comes to the most vulnerable, the children. It tugs at the heart when these little people have yet been able to experience much before being stricken. Whatever befalls a child, is not fault of their own. For me, that is extremely worthwhile.

Second, is an organization that stands up for the creatures in the oceans. Man has absolutely ruined the chain of life in the waters. From the near extinction (and still hunted) of the blue fin tuna, the disgusting ritualistic killing of pilot whales in the Faeroe Islands and a host of other predatory activities by man in the oceans, man should be ashamed. When the oceans die, we shall follow. Sea Shepherd is a organization that defends.

For me, those two fit well into my makeup.