Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

MadMarketScientist

Win $500 - Simply Predict The Markets Closing Price!

Want to win a $500 Amazon.com Gift Card?

How shiny is your crystal ball?

It's time to put it to good use in the TradersLaboratory.com Market Prediction Contest.

You know you can blow away all those talking heads on TV and the so-called experts and predict the market with greater accuracy. After all it appears most are more than likely using magic pixie dust, hope, prayer and snazzy guess-work. You can do better right? Well, even if you can't jump in and take a stab. You might be handsomely rewarded for making the best guess.

Here's all you need to do. Post here in this forum, between now and September 22nd your prediction where the Down Jones (INDU), S&P 500 (SPX) and the Nasdaq Composite (COMPX) will close on 12/31/10. Give an explanation or analysis if you want to sound ultra-smart or just consult your psychic and tell us what those closing prices wll be.

Whomever is the closest when we add all three of these market indices closing prices will be crowned the TradersLaboratory.com Market Prediction Champion (TLMPC!!!) This is quite an honor, a badge that you can wear proudly, brag about to friends and family or just simply talk trash amongst your trading buddies and frenemies here on TL.

You can only enter one time per person and there are no "Editing" of your post allowed (nice try:).) However, seek out your trading friends and have them enter and then demand a percentage when they win as your finder's fee.

Not to worry if you don't come in first. We'll offer some cool second and third place prizes.

1st Prize: $500 Amazon.com Gift Card

2nd Prize: $200 Amazon.com Gift Card

3rd Prize: $50 Amazon.com Gift Card

Take our money and get those entries in now. In the words of a great market prophet from years gone by "Let's light this candle!"

This needs to be anonymous, otherwise there is a chance to game people who go early!

Regardless....

My choices are to use the closing prices as at Monday 13th September as my guesses.

(mainly as its my birthday and this guess is as good as any)

I'm in...here's mine:

Dow 10,963

S&P500 1,130

Nasdaq Comp 2,412

I'm praying all doesn't go to hell in a hand basket - whatever that means. So this is my 'things will get better' prediction in particular after the election even if it crumbles before.

I'll go ahead and say:

DOW: 10,431

S&P 500: 1,106

Nasdaq: 2,239

With all the back and forth volatility, I don't think the market will change much between now and then, so why not put up the same numbers that are up today?

Thanks for the entries so far -- there's still a great chance for you guys to win - very good odds!

Apple iPad has an upgraded operating system coming out soon that is going to add a bunch of features (using bluetooth devices, printing, multi-task, etc...) so it gets even better. If you ever travel you can even use Logmein App and connect to your desktop at home -- I do it all the time and continue to trade.

MMS

My entry will simply be today's (the last day to enter the contest) closing prices.

(I'm posting this now, before the close, just in case anyone else had the same idea...I've called it!! :stick out tongue:)

My entry will simply be today's (the last day to enter the contest) closing prices.

(I'm posting this now, before the close, just in case anyone else had the same idea...I've called it!! :stick out tongue:)

Dow: 10,739.31

Nasdaq: 2,334.55

S&P 500: 1,134.28

untitled.JPG.8ae684b03938b6736d0b2901128029b9.JPG

As I have had some spare time, and this sort of stuff sometimes fascinates me (sad maybe :))

I whacked this together quickly - so it might have a few errors.

but basically if I have read this correctly, the summation of the three indexes is the simple way to determine participants levels and the overall winning result.

I have attached a simple excel spreadsheet - so if there are errors let me know we can quickly fix them.

In the spreadsheet all you need to do is update the current prices (yellow) and the current leader column and chart should update. the chart is also just a simple one to see the spread of people.

tl_competition.xls

the summation method seems weird to me you could go zero on 2 of the 3 instruments and still win, you could be furthest wrong on all 3 and still win. A better way would be to add up the number of points each person is away from the actual price of the 3 instruments. Lowest score (closest across all 3) wins.

Whomever is the closest when we add all three of these market indices closing prices will be crowned the TradersLaboratory.com Market Prediction Champion (TLMPC!!!)

Rules of the competition!

If your really wanted an equalizer - a percentage differential would be required given the differing sizes of the indexes.

However - maybe this can be applied next time :)

I have updated the various suggested ideas as well to the spreadsheet.

(Edit: yuppie money I switched the SP and NDX for your numbers - makes a difference for the various % amounts, but not for the absolute - is this correct?)

tl_competition.xls

Edited by SIUYA