Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

justtrade01

How to Manage So Much Information of Forum

There are so many threads on the forum and many times some very important point gets mentioned in a given thread. I instantly feel like making a note of this important point because I think it could be very helpful in my trading and I might need this idea in future.

Which knowledge managing software is best suited for noting down the important points from the forum, as there is so much data, and it becomes impossible to remember, which good point was given in which thread... so how to manage all this in a better way ? If I start to save every webpage of such threads manually then the data becomes huge and it is hard to categorize such data in different segments!

What software or online service "cloud computing etc." could help us in this regard ? I am looking for some solution where I can save this information systematically and easily in just a few seconds. This software should be specifically good for capturing/saving the information from web pages articles and current forum.

How to keep a record of important threads and important posts and to label them, why exactly they are important to me, so that I can easily find and correlate it when I need this information back.

Please post your ideas in this regard.

PS: the default method of thread subscription and favorites is not much helpful in this regard because of the enormous data size.

I am sure there are better solutions, however, if someone makes a pertinent point that resonates with me.....

I have a word document - just one, that I subdivide into various sections - eg; autotrading, interesting setups, Psychology, exits, money management.

All I then do is cut and paste certain posts people make, or sentences,and then make my own notes to go with this......

Sort of like study notes at school.

To date -its 18- pages, full of charts, and ideas. Its a personal thing and only makes sense to me, but it also works for me as a ready reminder of the things I find important or interesting.

PS: the default method of thread subscription and favorites is not much helpful in this regard because of the enormous data size.

I thought the default method was the Thanks button. Thats what I use it for anyways.

If a post taught me something I can use, I click Thanks.

Then, if I or anyone else wants to see ALL the posts I have ever Thanked, they just need to make a couple clicks in my user profile.

For managing lots of data, the usual solution is to use a MindMap software. Freemind, Personal Brain, and Mind Manager come to mind. :)

Hope this helps.

If something is very important, and you should be using it as you are trading, then you need to remember it. Having it filed away, or bookmarked in that moment may not help, especially if you need to make a decision now. So you need memory techniques. Write the information down using a pen and paper. Then throw the paper away.

If something is very important, and you should be using it as you are trading, then you need to remember it. Having it filed away, or bookmarked in that moment may not help, especially if you need to make a decision now. So you need memory techniques. Write the information down using a pen and paper. Then throw the paper away.

Some of you guys are getting it wrong. You guys are making an assumption that I am looking to manage all this information for the purpose of making trading decisions ! That is not the case. In this thread, I am not looking for ideas on how to trade well and all other stuff like that, instead I am just asking how to properly manage vast amount of data from various sources on internet. If I was not able to ask my question properly, then I apologize for that.

The data is mostly in the form of articles on various websites. And a lot of it has got nothing to do with trading. I am just looking for various options which can help to manage this kind of internet data.

For most of the articles I am thinking that it is not necessary to save the complete material in my system. If I am able to find a good bookmark manager which provides various options for properly categorizing the bookmarks systematically and keeping them in various folders or segments or tree branch etc. then that will also work well for me, provided I am able to search within the material of those bookmarks through google or an any other search tool. But any typical bookmark manager wont work here, as I am talking about managing a few 1000 bookmarks and not just 100 or 200 bookmarks.

Now please do not start to tell me that keeping 1000 bookmarks will not allow me to take a trading decision.

Thanks to all the members who replied to this thread.

So let me verify what you have done here. You asked a question that has nothing AT ALL to do with trading, IN A TRADING FORUM. That's okay. I'm not necessarily against that.

Because I like to try to help people, I did a search on the internet trying to find something about bookmarks. I thought this site was interesting:

bookmark manager - download tag - page 1 - Softpedia

So let me verify what you have done here. You asked a question that has nothing AT ALL to do with trading, IN A TRADING FORUM. That's okay. I'm not necessarily against that.

Because I like to try to help people, I did a search on the internet trying to find something about bookmarks. I thought this site was interesting:

bookmark manager - download tag - page 1 - Softpedia

Thankyou Tradewinds for your help. :)

Yes, I admit, that such questions would better suit some other type of Forum and Traderslab might not be the best place to ask for such thing.

Thankyou Tradewinds for your help. :)

Yes, I admit, that such questions would better suit some other type of Forum and Traderslab might not be the best place to ask for such thing.

Its not as though this is the only place you've asked this.

You seem to be running exactly the same thread at T2W, et, TL, and one I'd never heard of, TraderJi. Are you planning to write a book for Indian traders?

Its not as though this is the only place you've asked this.

You seem to be running exactly the same thread at T2W, et, TL, and one I'd never heard of, TraderJi. Are you planning to write a book for Indian traders?

Hi Kiwi ! I started the same thread on all the forums where I am a member. I thought of doing this as an experiment to see what kind of responses I get from which forum.

No, I am not planning to write any book etc.

Based on all the responses that I have got, it seems that the best way would be to use MS OneNote + a good bookmark manager + mind map. This combination will help a lot in keeping all the data well sorted.

I have realized that if you post the same question on multiple forums, then the probability of getting a better solution increases. You get to see the views of many different kind of members.

Please tell me clearly if you felt bad/irritated because of seeing the same question everywhere ! If it is something which goes against Netiquette or forum rules, then I will think twice before repeating such exercise. Otherwise I might follow it in future also.

Thanks for your reply.

PS: Traderji is a site devoted to Indian Traders. But it is suffering heavily from Spam problem. Almost 99 % posts are pure garbage there. :doh: Tlab has got much better quality.

Not significantly irritated. I just wondered because I saw it on et and in a moment of boredom decided to google it.

Personally I just have large files of stuff by year and go back occasionally to seek inspiration or horror at what I once found interesting.

------Spam Alert ------ !

a member by the name of guybell is sending this PM --

Hi,

Please excuse my intrusion but I just want to ask if you are actively trading penny stocks? If you are, I would like to share this piece of information.

I have been following this newsletter and it really amazed me to see that most of their stock picks really win. In fact, I tried it and so far so good for me. 25 wins and 1 loss with 300% gainers. This daily newsletter is focused on long-term growth, value, and income-generating stock investments.

If this interest you, do join by signing up here []

Thanks and regards.

The link leads to a site which asks you to sign up for a newsletter :crap:

I copied the PM here just to know if other members inboxes are also being spammed. :confused:

Edited by TLAdmin
referenced spam URL deleted

I copied the PM here just to know if other members inboxes are also being spammed. :confused:

Moving the spam from a private location (a PM) to a public one (a forum) is about the best thing you can do for the spammer. Just report it to the admin and move on, you have given it 'life'. Best thing you can do is edit the original spam out of your message.

you have given it 'life'.

the spammers getting anti spammers to add to the spam, fantastic!

Sort of like buying a T-shirt with a massive slogan on it and then walking around as a billboard.

Did you read about the guy who was trying to be the most spammed person in the world? I think he turned out to be pretty disappointed with the result.

Moving the spam from a private location (a PM) to a public one (a forum) is about the best thing you can do for the spammer. Just report it to the admin and move on, you have given it 'life'. Best thing you can do is edit the original spam out of your message.

I want to edit my post now and want to delete that spam message. But I do not see an edit button at the bottom ! Am I not allowed to edit my own posts ! How do I delete or edit that message now. I dint realize earlier that I would be helping the spammer this way. :doh:

In future just don't include the spam address.

In current time you can hit the report post button and request that a mod remove the url for the spam. I have done that.