Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Lopen

Better market to trade?

This is a common question asked by many new traders. In many occasions new traders will receive 3 different answers. Futures, stocks, and forex. I think the best way to start is to pick one market/stock/currency and study it. Get to know the financial instrument you are trading fairly well before you risk any money. My personal favorite are the e-mini futures. The futures markets give me good leverage. But the most important thing is that I have pretty much specialized in it. Do what you do best instead of poking your nose where it doesnt belong.

If you are interested in trading stocks, I would recommend beginning with NYSE stocks. For futures, I would recommend the dow mini's. Hard to say about the Forex since I don't trade it. Any recommendations on the Forex markets?

I was just browsing through some other forums and trading rooms and was quite surpised to see the lack of interest in the dow mini's. I specialize in the dow mini's strictly. And in my opnion they are probably the best place market for a new trader. The spread is $5 compared to $12.50 for the S&P emini's. Also the dow has some nice intraday moves, sometimes as much as 200 points. 200 points is equivalent to $1000 per contract. Of course you will most likely not catch the entire move but the dow mini is less prone to false breakouts compared to the S&P. I can not trade the S&P using a 1 point stop but can trade the dow using a 10 point stop. 1 point on the S&P is approx 10 points on the dow.

From my understanding alot of new traders will start with Forex. Perhaps because it is the most popular market. But one thing I recommend is to forget about the sex appeal of high-tech stocks or volatile Nasdaq stocks. Stick to markets that you are comfortable with. Talking to a bunch of Forex traders today made me feel like I was 90 years old trading the dow. :confused: If you want to start with the dow, I'll be glad to help you out. :) We need more dow traders!!!