Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Jumbo123

Think Or Swim Platform

Hello guys,

I have a quick question. Currently I am using Tradestation to trade ES futures and happy with it. I came across a trader friend of mine who uses Think Or Swim to trade. He said that there is no data feed fee at all. Right now I am paying close to 3k a year to trade on Tradestation. What's the real downside of Think Or Swim? Please advise. Thank you.

It's a fabulous platform. However, the data fees you pay each year are really the least of your concerns (or should be). It's like flying a jet (TOS, or Tradestation). Unfortunately, the learning curve is rather steep.

It really boils down to whether you have sufficient time, self-discipline and market "aptitude" (I guess that's one way to say it) to learn how to use the platform EFFECTIVELY. The only way to find that out is to download it and use the "Paper Money" test trade element.

Also, check out this part of the TOS website:

and this website:

Investools is heavily involved in TOS-user education.

Another thing to consider is cost. Although ToS doesn’t charge for the platform or data, your overall cost for ToS may be higher because their commission rates are much higher than TradeStation’s. After several round turns per month, you’ll end up paying more for ToS than for TradeStation, even after paying data fees in TradeStation.