Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

LS_Chad

New Video Series: Fading the VWAP Bands

In this first video, we formulate our trading idea (Fading the VWAP Bands), develop it into a trading system, add the system to a chart and perform our first backtest. I also discuss why I'm doing this, why this system was chosen, and what I intend to accomplish with this video series.

www.linnsoft.com/fade

Edited by LS_Chad

Video 2 ,"Refinement and Optimization", completed: Investor/RT - Fading the VWAP Bands

In this second video, we took a closer look at the backtest reports and identified key statistics to keep an eye on during our refinement of the system. We re-coded the system to allow for optimization. We performed our first optimization in which we found the optimal targets and stops.

Video 3 ,"Refinement and Optimization: Part II", completed in series "Fading the VWAP Bands: Idea Thru Automation"

In this third video, we continue to refine and optimize the system. We were able to substantially increase the profit per contract with some changes suggested by users. The band magnitude was optimized and code was added to prevent trading during the first hour and to prevent trading during trend days.

Investor/RT - Fading the VWAP Bands

Video 3 ,"Refinement and Optimization: Part II", completed in series "Fading the VWAP Bands: Idea Thru Automation"

In this third video, we continue to refine and optimize the system. We were able to substantially increase the profit per contract with some changes suggested by users. The band magnitude was optimized and code was added to prevent trading during the first hour and to prevent trading during trend days.

Investor/RT - Fading the VWAP Bands

Wrong hyperlink for:

Video 3: System Refinement and Optimization: Part II June 25, 2010

It links to video two.

Cheers

Video 4 ,"Scaling Out: Adding a Second Target", completed in series "Fading the VWAP Bands: Idea Thru Automation"

In this fourth video, we continue to refine and optimize the system by adding a second target at 5 points to lock in profit. This change increased our ratio of winning trades to losing trades substantially.

Investor/RT - Fading the VWAP Bands (15 mins)

Chad, enjoying the series thanks. Seems like you have something pretty robust as the cornerstone.

A couple of thoughts.

Unless I have missed something you are not using out of sample data for your performance results? (maybe IRT automatically splits the data). Normally you would optimise on months 1 & 2 and look at results on out of sample data months 3 & 4. Maybe I have miss understood. It would be good to see out of sample results at the end of each segment, gives a far more realistic idea of what to expect in trading. It might add the complication that different parameters end up performing better out of sample!

By introducing a second set of targets you are essentially running a separate system (well the same system twice with different parameters). You are blending a 5 point stop 5 point target system that has a greater %winners but lower total profit with a 5 point stop 9.75 target system that is more profitable but with less winners. You might be able to achieve similar characteristics using a single set of intermediate parameters. Certainly as you mix more money management elements (3 targets trailing stops moving to break even) it becomes more difficult to have an intuitive grasp of what's going on. If you know that a certain cert of parameters maximizes return or another set % winners it's easier to keep a handle on things. I'd still be inclined to maintain them as 2 'forks'.

Video 5 in Series "Fading the VWAP Bands" is now available: "Tightening Stops: Locking In Profilts: www.linnsoft.com/fade

In this fifth video, we look at moving our stop up to break even after hitting our initial 5 point target in order to lock in profits. The option of adding to our position instead of exiting when prices comes back to our entry price was discussed. We concluded by discussing some enhancements to the VWAP indicator that should benefit our system as well as how we plan on moving forward.

Video 6 in Series "Fading the VWAP Bands" is now available: "Reality Check": www.linnsoft.com/fade

In this sixth video, we put the system we've developed through a reality check to see if it stands the test of time. We also put our system through a Realization process (walk forward optimization).

This is a very detailed and good series on using the VWAP as the basis of a trading methodology. Hoping that there is more to the series going forward.

As for the VWAP bands, are you normalizing the Standard Deviations by the volume, as has been suggested, in detail, in various posts on TL?

Or are you just taking the raw SD of the VWAP without normalization?

The SD's are also weighted by volume.

I'd like to see more on trading with market stats too. Jerry has done a remarkably thorough job providing details of the framework and principles. If anyone starts a 'practical applications' thread or 'ongoing research' (or just a thread to post charts in ) I'll be there! (The reason I did not is that I am a bit old school about obligations and responsibilities of thread starters, Jerry's support of these threads years later are a shinning example).