Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Sure thing Cuttshot. I believe the idea is a good one and if it leads to profitable trading, that's all that matters. I didn't know JCarter had it working with TOS though. That's news to me.

AmCan, it's just an indicator, not a system. As Cutshot says John Carter has been using a version of it for a while. He has a book out, I forget the name, that has a chapter devoted to trading with it. Carter's basic strategy if I recall was to take a breakeout when exiting the squeeze, using the histogram to indicate direction. Not sure what exit rules he was using.

Great Traderwill. Thanks for the info. I think I'll keep my eyes open for his book. I'm always looking to read and learn about different trade methods and I can see the merits of this one. The principals make sense to me.

Here is an informal look at some mid session squeeze trades on the TF 233 tick chart. I've indicated with arrows what I would think to be good setup bars, without really studying or thinking through a formal strategy. Looks like it could have been 2 winners and 1 loss and a very positive end result; or at least some sort of variation to that, depending on trade rules. Seems to give some good signals though.

5aa710171e497_ScreenHunter_01Jun_2511_56.thumb.gif.d8d4d83fb4b1e0d6f78f6aeca259afe2.gif

it would be interesting to experiment with different ways of calculating the setups. I would think going for some kind of a fixed target initially also with a fixed risk would provide a better framework than just going with reversals. Obviously it's going to take some work to dive in and test. I don't know about you but there just aren't enough hours in the day to get to things like this.

Ain't that the truth! Despite popular belief, I gotta get at least 4 to 5 hours of sleep a night whether I need it or not. I think there's enough tools on that chart to come up with a decent exit strategy. I got a momentum indicator overlayed on top of the channels, the yellow dashed line, and a slower one, the cyan line. The channel itself can be used to trail and the histogram could signal when to tighten or perhaps move to a 3 bar stop type of idea. Lots of ways to figure this one out. Or, we could just read the book. Lol..

Carter has mentioned exiting a squeeze trade on 2 TTM bars in the opposite color of your direction. I receive his free daily videos and not to dis the man, but it seems like every other week he's showing a chart with a different time frame using a different indicator - now it's the TTM wave.

Back to the original post, I didn't see anyone mention using tick levels to determine trend or strength of the trend...

I know there are a lot of techniques on how to use the Tick to gauge strength or perhaps more importantly, weakness in a trend. I used to watch it along with a few other internal indicators but I never fully got a feel for it. I ended up with a dynamic, price action based method that kind of had everything I needed baked into the strategy so I stopped watching the Tick. I'd be interested to hear other's take on it or way of using it though. I know that it is a very useful indicator/tool when applied appropriately.

I am primarily a reversal trader. My main concern of course is to make sure I am not taking a reversal trade in the middle of a strong trend. I am wondering what methods others use to gauge trend strength, breadth, etc.

Does anyone use a reasonably reliable indicator that gives them an idea if they should stand clear of reversals for the moment because of a trend?

Just curious what others out there have used when trying to identify a move strong enough to end up an intraday trend.

I use an average of the $TICK which gauges the overall sentiment pretty well, I would never place a trade based on this but it does a good job of showing strength. I also only trade reversals, if I remember I will post a picture tomorrow.

I know there are a lot of techniques on how to use the Tick to gauge strength or perhaps more importantly, weakness in a trend. I used to watch it along with a few other internal indicators but I never fully got a feel for it. I ended up with a dynamic, price action based method that kind of had everything I needed baked into the strategy so I stopped watching the Tick. I'd be interested to hear other's take on it or way of using it though. I know that it is a very useful indicator/tool when applied appropriately.

I do not put to much stock in it but if the market is rising and the $tick dropping I will look for shorts if other factors come into play, but the $tick alone, no short.

Indicators to determine trending nature of a market:

ADX - directional index, whether bars are overlapping

Autocorrelation - whether the next bar tends to follow through or reverse

Fractal indices - not totally clear on how these work, but higher readings demonstrate trending.