Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

v101

Slope of MACD Calculate Angle

I am looking to determine if its possible to determine the slope or angle of the MACD, fast line on a chart.

Trying to determine if there is a way to determine what this would be, and how to program this into an indicator.

I am looking to determine if its possible to determine...

anything is possible...

if you can imagine it,

visualize it,

quantify it,

articulate it...

you can program it.

Slope is best defined as change per bar, IMO, when it comes to the slope of price or technical indicators.

MACD - MACD.1

If you define slope in "degrees", then the slope will change when you zoom the chart, resize the chart, rescale the chart, etc, Even though the change per bar remained constant.

Thanks for the responses. I have attached a chart, to perhaps get some additional feedback, of what I am trying to accomplish.

We all know that if we adjust any chart the x and y axis of the chart, can be stretched up/down, and we can make any angle look greater or less than it actually is. So with this said, we can use a formula to determine slope of a line:

Standard slope is simply rise over run. 

Converting an angle to percentage terms is:

nSlopePct = Math.tan( nAngle * (Math.PI/180) );

where nAngle is the angle in degrees of the line in question.

If we look at the available options that are displayed with MACD:

MACD Signal Fast Line

MACD Slow Line

MACD Histogram

Based on these available values, I am looking for a way to use these values, to determine the angle or slope of the MACD, say if the MACD is flat, I don't necessarily want to be involved with that market, or if the angle is sharp up, I don't want to enter opposite to this momentum.

Any suggestions on how to use these values to return a value?

MACD1.thumb.png.c73ec3b0c80edbed284eacec1a1095c9.png

an angle is measured in geometry in terms of distance for both axis in two dimensions..

a..if you consider price as distance then how you quantify time or other resolutions?

what you have here in one axis is price and in the other a barnumber..

it is quite unlikely to get what we commonly think as an angle from these 2 dimensions

b. what will be your switch that will reset the calculation( point a from whitch you start calculating to point b...and reset to point a and so on).

**** regarding slope *****

fixed length is a trap because it is an arbitrary assumption,the market doesnt fit its behaviour in a rolling cycle ask john elhers he knows all about it...

almost all his published studies are based on cycles and geometry functions and his

" reputable " mesa system on openrange breakout if i am informed well...

let us know if you come up with something...

Hi V101,

Ninjatrader has a fonction called "Slope" to calculate angles i believe,

it shoudn't be too difficult to apply it to the MACD fast line in a custom indicator

cheers,

Totantaz