Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

My 3 Day Old Daughter :)

hehe thanks Kiwi. Yep, sleepless nights.... luckily the markets have been interesting for me lately enough to stay up through the US hours. But yea, once this volatility levels down I might start cutting back on time :)

Such a beautiful moment. Each day will be wonderful.

I miss those days now my little guy is 6 foot tall and he is 2 inches short of looking me eye to eye.hahaha

Welcome to the world !

Congratulations James.

Congrats James and Jashanno!

I was always very skeptical of having a family, but after visiting my sister and her 3 month old son I can say that someday in my future it might not be such a bad idea. Big congrats to both of you.

Congratulations from me too, James.

We are also expecting our first child soon :) so I was wondering if you (or anyone else) might like to comment on how your little cuties / starting a family has affected your trading (and life in general!)...

Edited by lbj

lbj - while I'm a bit further along (mine is 10 y.o.) I was trading and running an investing company full time at the time my daughter came along. Did it change things? Yes, of course -- it does change your life however I didn't find it really impacted my trading life that much. We're already used to crappy hours right :)?

I probably shifted things around some but if I was testing or doing research I could easily do that during nap times or later at night.

Where it gets to be a lot of fun are a few years in when your child starts to watch you and the charts -- it's fun for them since let's face it, patterns, colors, lines, bars, etc... is kinda cool for a kid. Over time my daughter has become reasonably good at picking out some trading patterns and does watch some of the trading even now. Of course she tells me clearly there's no chance she's taking over the business but we'll see.....

Anyway, enjoy the adventure!

Much appreciated advice, MadMarketScientist. Thx.

"Following in father's footsteps" - that's an interesting, and very positive, point that I didn't think of.... Yeah, can imagine too, nice for kids with all the moving colors and shapes on charts and all...

PS. That reminds me of (have you heard?) the joke about the Policeman following in his father's footsteps? - his father was a thief!

Where it gets to be a lot of fun are a few years in when your child starts to watch you and the charts -- it's fun for them since let's face it, patterns, colors, lines, bars, etc... is kinda cool for a kid. Over time my daughter has become reasonably good at picking out some trading patterns and does watch some of the trading even now. Of course she tells me clearly there's no chance she's taking over the business but we'll see.....

Wonder what people think the most interesting trading terminal for kids is? And the best for kids learning to be traders? I'm using PT multistation at the moment, which is pretty graphical, colorful, and was pretty intuitive to learn for me...!

That's a very interesting question. I'm not sure on that one. I haven't thought much about the simplicity -- I do think Tradestation is very visual and so customizable on screen that it's fairly easy to work with.

I'm sure though there are better options for someone younger starting out.