Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Hi, this is TJ and Barry – developers of the Ultimate Trade Analyzer (UTA).

We have started this forum as a place for the UTA community to learn new things and to exchange ideas and discoveries made from using this powerful new trading tool.

Soon there will be several helpful threads about how to use the UTA, and to share results. This is your forum, so please feel free to start your own thread if necessary. Let’s all work to keep this forum organized and useful.

But first - what is the UTA? UTA is a power-tool for analyzing your trades. Whether you are back-testing, forward testing, or logging real trades, your trade data contains a wealth of information. But how do you unlock the secrets of your data and make it useful? Imagine if you have a gold mine – what good would it be if you could not get to the gold? Your trade data is that gold mine. And UTA is the tool to mine the gold and unlock the secrets hidden inside your trade data. Never before has there been a tool that presents so much useful information in one easy to use format. What you discover will improve your trade decisions.

We understand that questions are popping up in your mind – as they should be. But consider this the first step of a long and fruitful journey. UTA is so new that we are only just beginning to tap into its potential wealth. Together, as a community, we can all drill down deep into our trade data that is our gold mine.

Let the journey begin . . . TJ & Barry

Hi TJ and Barry,

Good idea to start a forum. I only use UTA at this moment for CL but I will certainly use it in near future for other instruments.

As I said before (I have been using your pre-versions already for some time) it is a GREAT instrument and a MUST for every trader to "keep his books".

One thing I added to the previous version, were several clumns which reflected my real trading. Not the entries and exits, but the number of ticks made on a trade (already in the spreadsheet), the number of contracts and the result in Dollars. When you let these columns totalize, you will have the theoretical result as well as the real result side by side.

Furthermore you can use your own rules like POQ and see the results.

Maybe an idea for a future version.

Keep up the good work gentlemen.

Cheers,

chris muller (from the Netherlands)

Hi TJ and Barry,

Good idea to start a forum. I only use UTA at this moment for CL but I will certainly use it in near future for other instruments.

As I said before (I have been using your pre-versions already for some time) it is a GREAT instrument and a MUST for every trader to "keep his books".

One thing I added to the previous version, were several clumns which reflected my real trading. Not the entries and exits, but the number of ticks made on a trade (already in the spreadsheet), the number of contracts and the result in Dollars. When you let these columns totalize, you will have the theoretical result as well as the real result side by side.

Furthermore you can use your own rules like POQ and see the results.

Maybe an idea for a future version.

Keep up the good work gentlemen.

Cheers,

chris muller (from the Netherlands)

Great idea - it is difficult to figure out what everyone wants so thanks for the ideas.

I designed the trade log area to minimize the data entry, but there is nothing wrong with collecting more information on a a trade.

One possible thought - if you collect the highest high and lowest low during all bars while of the trade is in place, you can determine the maximum adverse excursion - or the amount the trade went against you at any time. This is useful to help set tighter stops.

Lots of luck - Barry

Hi All:

I would like to use UTA as my trading journal> Is there anyway that you could add ther notes to the trade log so that i could enter that data.

Also what about being able to capture a screen shot of the trade setup and exit screens?

Is there way to use UTA as an ovrall trade analysus of yout trading of all currenicies, stock futures etc. So that you could compare your performance of all of your investments.

G.E.

You ask a good question.

It is great that you are diligently posting a trading journal.

There is a 'Notes" column in the UTA - see column S.

First click "ExpandView", then "TradeSetupSummary-Show", then move to column S.

You can widen the column by clicking the top of the column in the gray header area, then use the mouse to drag the right side border to the right. When you click "Hide", the column width should stay that width.

I am not sure if you are asking to move Column S after K so that it is closer to the Log area. Let me know if this is the question.

Although it can be done, it would not be a good idea to embed screen shots of setups and exits to the UTA log - as this would make the Excel file size HUGE.

One thought is to add an hyperlink to the image file into the Notes. So you could save the screen shot on your drive in a subdir, then add the hyperlink to the image file. This saves a lot of space and still gives quick access to the screen shot - Great Idea!!!

It does not make sense to add all trades from a lot of different trading systems into a single UTA Log. I am not sure what value that provides - you are not statistically testing a "trade system".

But . . . I am working on a portfolio module for UTA that would read and compile trades from different UTA Logs into a new log. The idea is to test them together as a portfolio and run an Equity Curve Money Management Analysis on the portfolio of trades. You are not testing a single trading system - but you are getting a look at the equity curve of the group of systems.

Also, I am nearing completion of a MonteCarlo Simulation module using the trade statistics gathered from the UTA, or input independently without the UTA. The simulation will give you an interesting grasp of just how robust your system is by randomly simulating thousands of trails of multiple trades. You can see potential drawdown, potential # consecutive losing runs, probability of busting the account, etc. It will be a great tool for serious traders.

If you have some feedback or ideas on these concepts - email me at barry.e.miller@gmail.com and I will be happy to discuss them with you.

Keep up the great work and best of luck with your analysis and trading.

Barry

Hi Barry and all: Yes, I was asking about moving the notes field so that it would actually be part of the daily log, moving it from column S to column k i think!

GE,

I agree that easier access to the notes would be nice. Barry and I discussed many ideas but in the end, we had to make some compromises. We came up with buttons that open and close various aspects of the UTA. Some want this, some want that. Some want this at times, but not at other times. That sort of thing. It took me a little bit to get used to the notes but now I quickly find them when I need, and jot down what I need to. Then I am happy to reduce it down and get it out of the way. Perhaps we'll rethink it for future revisions.

Regarding your question about tracking multiple markets. I did post a video on the UST and HVMM Owner's Club blog suggesting a way to do it. Basically, you would need to select crosses with the same underlying currency and track the same size trades. You can use the Setup Type labels (column I) and name your set up type for each market you are tracking. For example, eurusd and gbpusd could be tracked on one sheet if you labeled each, accordingly. Thenyou could see comparison curves, etc. I agree with Barry though regarding the posting of multiple markets on the same UTA sheet. I believe you would get more useful indepth analysis keeping them on separate sheets. But, it can be done.

Finally, for scrreenshots, I downloaded a free tool that I like to use called Screenhunter. I just capture what I need and then keep a well organized folder with my files. The suggestion of linking to the screenshot is an excellent one and I can see that as a nice improvement for a future release.

Thanks for your post and questions. Keep up the foundational work. It will payoff for you in a big way.