Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

ktartarotti

Does Anyone Truly Make a Living Solely Trading the E-minis???

We did our best in order to lower the cost of execution for our emini guys. We did it via Sierrachart so your entire cost is way below 2.00 per side (This includes execution, routing, etc) all in. I hope this saves traders on execution: Sierrachart using CTS Order Routing Please let me know if you have any questions. I would be glad to answer it.

Regards,

Matt Z

Optimus Futures

There is a substantial risk of loss in futures trading. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

I think the reason most people fail at trading is because they start trading before understanding basic, intermediate and advanced topics such as candlesticks, patters and any other technical analysis. I'm just now starting to study. And I KNOW that i MUST learn those things first. 

This is what my study plan is...

Learn Candlesrticks

Learn Candlestick patterns

Learn indicators

Learn when to enter and exit the market

Learn 2 systems and create a trading plan. 

I wont start trading until I've accomplished all the above. If I missed anything, please let me know. 

Edited by JohnnyFame

1 hour ago, JohnnyFame said:

This is what my study plan is...

Learn Candlesrticks

Learn Candlestick patterns

Learn indicators

Learn when to enter and exit the market

Learn 2 systems and create a trading plan. 

I wont start trading until I've accomplished all the above. If I missed anything, please let me know. 

I think the top 3 are not going to useful to take money from other traders.  

I know this will sound vague and unhelpful, but the most sensible thing on that list imo is, "Learn when to enter and exit the market."

I agree.  Technical analysis and candlestick patterns aren’t really going to help you IMO.  There are a number of guys recently who have proven they are profitable with verified 1099’s, and they all trade order flow by waiting for volume and delta imbalances and then trading against the guys who are “stuck”

So you're saying that as a beginner, you don't need to understand the technical aspect of trading? If you dont understand what's going on on the charts, how can you trade successfully?

That's exactly right.  There are no chart patterns really, it's just your brain trying to find order in the chaos.  Order flow will create certain similarities that show up in the charts, but they never develop in the exact same way, so in my opinion it's a waste of time.  You know what moves the market?  Orders coming in, orders going out, that's it!  I would focus on that.  When you have aggressive buyers who are stuck in a bad position, and aggressive sellers who are in a good position, that is fuel for a move down.  I would focus your research on those aspects of the market.  After that you will probably be able to put that information into a chart that uses that information and gives you an edge.  My .02 of course!

There are a couple of podcasts that interview successful guys, and you can listen to those to see if any of those interviews inspire you to focus your research one way or the other.

i started out trading the big 500 point sp's and then 250 and now 50 and mostly that is what i have traded with some bonds mixed in.  i have traded many markets about all of them but always come back to the es. 

I really don't know why people cannot understand that trading is not difficult. Yes you heard me right - NOT DIFFICULT. Everyone  makes it looks so hard. Yes i agree that if you want to know all the ins and outs of technical indicators, macro and micro indicators, and all the stuff they teach in the MBA courses in Universities, then it will take many years. But to simply trade a system and make a living is very simple and can take a few minutes to several hours to learn. Depends on you as an individual. The catch is people do not have the proper mindset to treat trading as a business or a job. They do not treat it accordingly. They go in with fear that they gather from the public. I thought it was so hard in the beginning, but finally i came to realize that i have to leave all the gossips and negative baggage out the door. And i have been successful since. I do not have an MBA degree, i am only a Nurse. I trade 4 hours in the morning because i am selective of my trades. You can trade for 30 minutes or less - depends on how much you want to make and what your system tells you. My trade last between several seconds to several minutes. And i only take selected trades. I did not develop a system of my own, i acquired one and follow the rules as instructed. And i am comfortable making a real living without having a boss on by back. If you can follow instructions such as, A + B = C, buy or sell, without any emotional attachment, then you are on you way to success. Please do not ask me for strategies or systems as i don't think this site will allow it. And i will not post account or anything else to brag. My success is kept quiet until now because i am tired of watching people talking and writing things that are discouraging to  others. And believe me, i have met and seen many small traders making a good living with day trading the e-minis. You have to choose an instrument that you like, find a strategy that works for you and trade it. Do not let people tell you otherwise. Any job will be hard. Think of it. If you do not apply yourself and have fear in front of you always, then no job will be successful. That's all for now.

It is certainly possible to make money consistently trading futures. I have been trading reasonably profitably den.thumb.jpg.378367ad3721fda04716e5ceb37ab224.jpgfor 15 years. 10 years before that I was a loser all 10 years.

There are some things that must be assumed about this inquiry (why do such a high percentage of trades loose?).

I don't believe it is possible to know the answer to this firmly since many farmers and others hedge positions and consider the hedge to be just a matter of doing business. So...for them they are merely paying a premium for insurance.  Also, many trader have accounts open at different brokerages and through their accounts buy both sides of the market with an equal size of contracts and close one side when a definite trend arises. He may lose on the one side of the trade but do well on the other side of the trade. Doing so establishes that he will make money even if he has experience with trading futures.

Another concern comes to mind.  Breakout trading is much more difficult than it seems, Selling short immediately upon seeing the market breakdown might require the trader to hold the trade for 2. 3 or even as many as 6 points before price will return to the desired entry price. Many traders will think themselves fortunate to be at break even they scratch the trade. Of course trading the opposite  Certainly a breakout long position could work the say way.

Some years ago I made a change in my personal trading.  At most entries I will look to enter my trade at a price in the direction momentum is moving but during the 1st tick or two of the new bar, The same works no mater which way momentum is headed. I look for fewer ticks. Maybe only 2 or 3 ticks each trade.  I try to get 250 - 300 each day on each contract.  Now that I am older I stick with one instrument the ES and rarely co past 10 AM Central.  With NinjaTrader all in charges are very low,  On average it cost me 7 dollars to make 60 bucks. 

On 3/23/2019 at 9:51 AM, garydeona7@gmail.com said:

I really don't know why people cannot understand that trading is not difficult. Yes you heard me right - NOT DIFFICULT. Everyone  makes it looks so hard. Yes i agree that if you want to know all the ins and outs of technical indicators, macro and micro indicators, and all the stuff they teach in the MBA courses in Universities, then it will take many years. But to simply trade a system and make a living is very simple and can take a few minutes to several hours to learn. Depends on you as an individual. The catch is people do not have the proper mindset to treat trading as a business or a job. They do not treat it accordingly. They go in with fear that they gather from the public. I thought it was so hard in the beginning, but finally i came to realize that i have to leave all the gossips and negative baggage out the door. And i have been successful since. I do not have an MBA degree, i am only a Nurse. I trade 4 hours in the morning because i am selective of my trades. You can trade for 30 minutes or less - depends on how much you want to make and what your system tells you. My trade last between several seconds to several minutes. And i only take selected trades. I did not develop a system of my own, i acquired one and follow the rules as instructed. And i am comfortable making a real living without having a boss on by back. If you can follow instructions such as, A + B = C, buy or sell, without any emotional attachment, then you are on you way to success. Please do not ask me for strategies or systems as i don't think this site will allow it. And i will not post account or anything else to brag. My success is kept quiet until now because i am tired of watching people talking and writing things that are discouraging to  others. And believe me, i have met and seen many small traders making a good living with day trading the e-minis. You have to choose an instrument that you like, find a strategy that works for you and trade it. Do not let people tell you otherwise. Any job will be hard. Think of it. If you do not apply yourself and have fear in front of you always, then no job will be successful. That's all for now.

Gotta agree with you.  My method is so simple it is 'embarrassing' to say it aloud.  I spent years looking for a secret or Holy Grail where none exists or if it does (like Goldman Sachs 98% success rate) they will NEVER share it with you.  If you are profitable, keep doing what you are doing and do NOT allow your head to be turned by the latest" sure-fire" snake oil nonsense.  If it make sense to you and works learn to enjoy dragging all that $$$ to the bank every month.

10 hours ago, Minetoo said:

Gotta agree with you.  My method is so simple it is 'embarrassing' to say it aloud.  I spent years looking for a secret or Holy Grail where none exists or if it does (like Goldman Sachs 98% success rate) they will NEVER share it with you.  If you are profitable, keep doing what you are doing and do NOT allow your head to be turned by the latest" sure-fire" snake oil nonsense.  If it make sense to you and works learn to enjoy dragging all that $$$ to the bank every month.

Make I ask you to embarrass yourself? What is your method?

Perhaps he was already brought up in this thread or others.. but an entertaining example of someone who trades for a living (before retiring having made his money,) is Lakai -- TradeItDontDateIt 

He has a youtube with many videos of him just punting around sometimes hundreds of contracts of ES at a time.