Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

I am a beginner trader trying several strategies part time for last 18 months. I started as a value trader, went into selling covered calls during the crash, and have been trying monthly income option selling strategies for last 6 months or so as well as leaning short. Regardless to say I have not had success, but at least have not totally blown out my IRA's.

I have decided to stop all trading in live accounts till I get a better handle on what I want to do here and prove to myself that I can do it in a simulation environment.

Anyways, day trading in the vain that Al Brooks teaches is appealing to me and I have decided that not being able to trade live (as I will be at work during most trading sessions) may be a benefit to actually learning how to do it. I know I have a lot to learn but feel with time (maybe years), effort and a dedicated deliberate practice routine I can get there eventually. My question to anyone willing to help, is what are some of the specific skills that I need to develop and what are practices that you have used to develop them in yourself.

For example, identifying a trend line is a VERY basic skill that I can develop by running a chart and drawing a trend line as soon as I see one. Another example could be learning to estimate a 67% retracement from a move by making a mark where I think it is and then checking it against one is calculated.

Anyone who has read Talent is Overrated or the Talent Code, may have an idea of what I am looking for. Any other comments on Deliberate Practice routines in relation to trading are also welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Jim

Hi Jim

Welcome to the forum. Like you I also work during the day so can’t trade real time unless I’m on holiday.

My practice routine is as follows:

Weekdays

1. After work I replay the day’s action and enter trades as if trading in real time. I’m practicing using one instrument only: 6E

2. Before I start the replay I delete any trend lines and support and resistance lines that I drew the day before. I then mark up all the trend lines, support and resistance lines that I think will be useful for the day’s trading.

3. After I have finished replaying the day’s action I create an image for the day that includes my entries, stops, and targets and a summary of my day’s results. The utility “snagit” makes this an easy task.

4. After I have done this I review the days trading:

a. I mark entries that I missed or deliberately skipped (regardless of whether they would have been winners or losers).

b. Note how well I did at identifying support, resistance and trend lines

c. Note any problems / errors that need to be corrected.

Weekends

1. More reviewing of the trades taken

2. I go back and replay the good and bad trades including the trades that I missed or skipped.

I use Sierra charts to replay charts during the week because I its replay functionality is excellent and easy to use. At the weekend I replay the charts using OEC because this is probably the platform that I will use when I go live but I find its replay functionality difficult to use. Sierra charts costs $26 pm and OEC is $24.95 pm.

By the way if you are using Al Brooks then I would start by practising just one of his entry setups.

TradeRunner

TradeRunner,

That's exactly the kind of routine that I will be leaning to toward the end of my training. I may not ready in development for what you are doing, but that seems to be a great routine for later.

Thanks,

Jim