Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

JBahn

Recommendation on a Laptop to Replace a Desktop?

I am getting ready to move overseas and most of my belongings will be packed up for several months. I need a laptop to trade off of during the move and need your opinions. I mainly trade with Tradestation and ThinkorSwim.

Here are my requirements:

Of course needs to run TS and ToS

17" screen at a minimum

Ability to connect to two external monitors.

The ability to connect to two monitors is important and it is hard to find information about what laptops will allow that.

I have never had an Apple, but I think I like the Macbook Pro 17". I am open to either Macs or PCs.

Thoughts?

This made me think of this:

Dual-Screen Laptops?! Yes, They’re Real (and Coming Soon)

Asus makes a good product, and they have tons of different laptops for cheap. If I am not mistaken, most laptops can be hooked to at least one external monitor, but two might be tricky. After some googling, I found this guide you might want to look at:

How to Connect Two Monitors to a Laptop

Macs are nice, but it would appear Tradestation requires windows. ToS however will work on a Mac, maybe you could do it with some emulation.

The ability to connect to two monitors is important and it is hard to find information about what laptops will allow that.

I haven't seen a laptop with two VGA connectors (but I am not an expert in this field), but it is not rare that laptops have one VGA and one HDMI connector. So if you have at least one monitor which allows for HDMI input, then it shouldn't be a problem.

I am getting ready to move overseas and most of my belongings will be packed up for several months. I need a laptop to trade off of during the move and need your opinions. I mainly trade with Tradestation and ThinkorSwim.

Here are my requirements:

Of course needs to run TS and ToS

17" screen at a minimum

Ability to connect to two external monitors.

I have never had an Apple, but I think I like the Macbook Pro 17". I am open to either Macs or PCs.

Thoughts?

two monitor set up

Matrox Graphics - Products - Graphics eXpansion Module - DualHead2Go

three monitor set up

Matrox Graphics - Products - Graphics eXpansion Module - TripleHead2Go

My question is if I run a charting program and a separate trading execution platform, will I loose performance using this Matrox DualHead2Go.

My current laptop specs are Intel Core 2Duo @ 2.26GHZ, 220HD, 4GB RAM and 32Bit Operating System.

Check out Matrox.com and check out the TripleHead2Go, or the DualHead2Go digital editions. You can connect 2 or 3 monitors to a laptop. I use them on 3-22" monitors. Don't believe they work on anything bigger. It works great..at least for me. I use a Dell laptop and the TripleHead2Go. Once you decide want you want, you can buy these on EBay for less than from Matrox. Hope this helps.

I have a Lenovo T61P Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 @2.20Ghz 3.0GB ram WinXP 32-bit with a usb video card adapter made by sewell. Three monitors running at the same time with TS and no problems. It works great. Matrox product did not work for me.

I have a Lenovo with Intel Core @ Duo T7500 @ 2.20Ghz, 4.0 GB ram, nvidia quadro fx 570m video card. I conected a SEWELL usb video adapter to run a third monitor. It runs very good. I had no luck with the Matrox product. TS 8.8 runs fine. My two pennies.