Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

sep34

Infected PC,

This is a first for me, My PC has been effected severly by a major virus.

1. so far I have not been able to remove it.

Its called, Worm Win32Netsky, If anyone has any suggestions im all ears.

2. I also can not do a system restore to a previous date when my PC was healthy. I get a message that "system restore has been turned off contact Domain Admin".

Again Im sure im not the first to experience this, if you encounter the same and have a solution let me know.

PC information

Window XP pro. 32bit

Although this my first major PC inffection, this is precisely why I use a seperate PC for browsing the web and email ie I dont use my tradign PC's for anything else other than connecting to my data provider and trading.

Tiki ...thanks wil try it.

what anti virus software have you tried?

Tams, on the PC Im having the issue I been using MS security essentials...testing it out sorta speak.

The problem is that this worm is a bitch....it will not let me go online what-so-ever.

try avast!

it is free

I have not been able to get the PC to accept its installation yet.

The irony is... thats what I run on all my PC's, it works great...specially with TS.

I had AVAST on the PC that im having issues with...decied to test MS sec.Essntial out.

I was able to install it through USB and not CD drive. Still not sure if it will solve my problem, currently Im running scan.

I did want to ask this.......

Do any of you guys run more then one anti software program on your PC i.e. do you have multiple anti virus software installed on your PC???

as most Anit Virus software recommend to only use one at anytime.

I don't run any in real time antivir any more.

I just use Clam (free, minimum intrusiveness) and am careful about opening mail from people i don't know and test doubtful stuff I download.

The real key to virus protection is to use an imaging program and store an image of your C drive. Then if you do get a problem you boot from CD and restore the uninfected image. Then you run virus scan to make sure that the other partitions are virus free.

I just use Clam (free, minimum intrusiveness) and am careful about opening mail from people i don't know and test doubtful stuff I download.

The real key to virus protection is to use an imaging program and store an image of your C drive. Then if you do get a problem you boot from CD and restore the uninfected image. Then you run virus scan to make sure that the other partitions are virus free.

Being careful about the type of email and questionable sites is indeed a good strategy, however not applicable to all.

For example, I do some consulting with traders, its something I enjoy and takes the edge off the isolation of trading. My clients are all word of mouth and when I get emails from them for the first time I need to open them, even though I dont know who they are yet.

I like your suggestion about storing an image of C drive....what Imaging program do you use?

I don't think emails are the problem they were a decade ago unless you open attachments (save them and then virus check them before opening).

I use Snapshot but Macrium and Acronis are good too.

I only use Snapshot because there used to be an alignment issue on SSDs with Acronis and Macrium. I believe its been fixed and for most users would recommend Acronis as easy to use and very functional.

On the topic of using seperate PC's, I am surprised more people don't use a netbook to handle their order entries. They are incredibly cheap and have enough power to handle order entry + some charting. The one I have runs Ninja Trader out of the box, which is pretty resource intensive..

I don't run real time virus scanning either. The issue with image backup and restore (or any backup restore) is if the virus goes undetected and finds its way all through your backups.

Oh and you might want to try a post infection tool like microsofts malicious software remover. I have used spybot search and destroy to good effect when other software has failed. There are also manual removal instructions dotted around the internet if all else fails.

I don't run real time virus scanning either. The issue with image backup and restore (or any backup restore) is if the virus goes undetected and finds its way all through your backups.

Not possible unless it came with the OS and core software (although it will take more than 30m if I had to go back there).

I do run clam from time to time and all my backup images were pre-checked.

So, I'd have to be damned unlucky to achieve that result .:haha:

Guys

I fixed the problem the next day after, 01/04/10, by reformatting and then running a good antivirus software to make sure nothing remained....No big deal, because like I mentioned in my OP, that it was a PC that I use only for browsing the internet.

So instead of thanking all of you individualy, I will take care of it here with one big Thanks to all that tryed to help.

Actually thats not a bad solution Sep34. I simply make sure I have important data on an external drive and in the cloud and if disaster falls i whip out the install discs. I am a great advocate of a clean start now and then.

I use this model.

It is an internal hot swappable hard drive enclosure.

You can have as many hard drives as you want. One dedicated just for trading, one for general use.

Install two of these, and you can have one for swapping OS and one for swapping data drives.

Keep the trading drive clean.

attachment.php?attachmentid=18721&stc=1&d=1265088839

5aa70fc0b030a_kingwininternal.jpg.7fab9288c698c201b55c3419a7017faf.jpg

i know that i am late to this party, but if you get hit with netsky or any other virus you cant get rid of shoot me a note. no charge so dont worry about this being spam.

from my other biznes got a hacker on the payroll and not a virus he cant get rid of. may take some work on your part but usually doesnt require a re-format.

three keys for the windows guys.

keep winders updated..download ccleaner and malware bytes...everytime you close the browser,run malware then cc and you will stay clean.

and keep both updated.

This may help

I have dedicated trade machines both for Charting (TradeStation) and Executions (Platforms)

And seperate one for email, consulting, studies, research, etc

If you are Not running the Virus Protection actively to conserve CPU and Memory

This tip may help, further conserve your system resources

I understand that the MS Operating system comes preloaded with the Unnecessary

Components Services Interfaces and Protocols (CSIPs) it uses your valuable resources, makes your machine noisy (broadcasts) and compromises your environment (unsecure ports)

So your security software needs to work actively more & use valuable resources to protect the pre-loaded & pre-bundled unnecessary CSIPs

I have so far found that XP (Home Ver) uses the least of the resources to load 32bit trading apps & I only use XP for all my trading purpose

Once you have invoked your usual application/s for trading

Tip: Kill the skin of the OS (ie explorer.exe)

Invoke Task manager (Shift + Ctrl + Esc)

Click on Processes tab > Select explorer.exe > Click End Process

If you want the skin back on

Invoke Task Manager again

Click on Applications > Click New Task >

Type at the prompt Open: explorer.exe

Press Enter (It may take some time to load)

Note you can even shut down straight from Task Manager

You can use the Performance Tab to further check out your system stats improvement etc

If you have voice packets (internet radio, live squawk, etc) streaming down to your trade PC than be aware they will be priortise over other traffic

Hope this helps

Enjoy Minoo

or finally get yourself Windows 7 and forget all this BS.

I dont use antivirus for about 6 years and had 2 or 3 minor trojans sniked through the dodgy website in those 6 years. But I used Vista and W7 all the time.

Dont make your life more difficult than it is already