Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

boilergradd

Recommended Reading???

I am looking for some suggestions on reading material for long term investing, how to choose stocks, what criteria are important and so forth. I would like to be able to run a screener to get my initial list then narrow it down from there. Any suggestions?

I would check the stocks daily but I don't really want to be in and out too often, more of a long term, send the kids to college type fund.

Thanks for your help.

For long term investing I suggest looking at some Value Investing books

- Browne - The Little book of Value Investing is a good start,

then books by Benjamin Graham.

One overall investing guidebook that just gives common sense hints is

The Zurich axioms - (Gunter is the author I think)

Combine this with some trading books to keep you thinking about entries and exits.

For long term investing I suggest looking at some Value Investing books

- Browne - The Little book of Value Investing is a good start,

then books by Benjamin Graham.

One overall investing guidebook that just gives common sense hints is

The Zurich axioms - (Gunter is the author I think)

Combine this with some trading books to keep you thinking about entries and exits.

Agree. One up on Wall Street by Peter Lynch & Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits by Philip Fisher may also be useful for you.

For the style you're talkin about, I would highly recommend googling books by William J. O'Neal. He's the founder of IBD and basically the father of candlestick analysis. I've read most of them. Not a promotion here....but I think you'll benefit highly from his books.

EDIT: I "second" One up on Wall Street by Peter Lynch.

Edited by HI_THERE
add

For the style you're talkin about, I would highly recommend googling books by William J. O'Neal. He's the founder of IBD and basically the father of candlestick analysis. I've read most of them. Not a promotion here....but I think you'll benefit highly from his books.

EDIT: I "second" One up on Wall Street by Peter Lynch.

Where did you get that "William O'Neal is basically the father of candlestick analysis"? I've never heard that before. Thought that is Nison's claim to fame to have brought Candlestick Analysis to the Western World, but that candlesticks have been used for centuries in the East.

I really like the Trader X readings......

'The Art of the Trade" by Jason Alan Jankovsky

"Trading Rules that Work: The 28 Lessons Every Trader Must Master" by Jason Alan Jankovsky

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470138998/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0471792160&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1AP7V6M6EZH5D5141GH7

Where did you get that "William O'Neal is basically the father of candlestick analysis"? I've never heard that before. Thought that is Nison's claim to fame to have brought Candlestick Analysis to the Western World, but that candlesticks have been used for centuries in the East.

Nison? :wtf::stick out tongue: Actually, it was Charles Dow (Dow Jones...hint hint) in the early 1900s. Still, my description of William O'Neal was a misnomer: I should have said he is the father of "modern" candelstick analysis. (Yes, this is subjective and more opinion than established fact).

Hippocrates is considered the Father of Medicine; but Sir William Osler is considered the Father of Modern Medicine. O'Neal refined and named many of the patterns we use. However, he is totally a classicist and doesn't believe in "wedge" patterns or any of the ones us technical traders use.

The guy's on a different level, tho...the type to invest $300 million in a fund and sit on it for 10 years. ;)

just to get me back in the swing of posting.

for long term investing:

* fisher's "the only three questions that count"

* lichello's " how to make a million", yeah i know it sounds cheesy but worth the read

* domash's "fire your stock analyst"

* towery's "wisdom of wolves"

* and while we are it " art of war "

For long term investing I think William J. O'Neil is the best out there. Most of his material is very easy to read and his methods are very good.

For starters pick up a few days worth of Investors Business Daily. This will give you an idea of what type of work he does.

I would also agree with an earlier comment on Stan Weinstein's book Secrets for Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets. It is an older book but it is filled with good content that is still relevent in today's markets.

Finally I would recommend looking into some books on basic fundamentals of technical analysis. You will want to be familiar with the basic concepts.

Cuttshot

I'll throw in a couple of suggestions when we're talking long term investing and a systematic approach:

The Little Book that Beats the Market - Joel Greenblatt

It's a fascinating read and gives you a system on how to buy value stocks at discount prices. It doesn't work every year but over a long haul the track record is excellent -- like anything people get discouraged when it lags for a year or two but the longer term if people lose the short-term greed is impressive.

One I bought but haven't had time to read yet :)

The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing - 2010 - Jason Kelly

I heard it's good but not firsthand yet.

MMS

Larry's books are not too bad. After reading his book, you may know How he Made $1,900,336.82 by trading commodities on around 4 years..

yeah by assuming too much risk :) Which is how he lost similar amounts in a tenth of the time! Still the late great Livermore was prone to ....how shall we say..... over extend himself, so he is in good company I guess.

... O'Neal refined and named many of the patterns we use ...

The guy's on a different level, tho...the type to invest $300 million in a fund and sit on it for 10 years.

You have obviously mistaken William J. O'Neil for someone else. O'Neil has never, to my recollection, referred to "candlestick" analysis in any of his writings, and he is hardly the type of trade to sit on any position for 10 years. I would doubt that over the last fifty years that he has had very many positions that were held for even ten months, let alone ten years.

Best Wishes,

Thales

Why doesn't you use some platform in-spite of reading books. For instance i take help of the platform such as (moderator: url removed promotional). So you can take help or suggestions from any platform that is related to trading. Because trading is not like reading and learning. Its like experiencing.

Like no pain no gain.

Well you can learn more through experience.

Attached is a list of books I put together after being asked this question many times. Enjoy!

Great list, mine is almost identical. One book I didn't see was Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. I has an indirect impact on investing, but it is a phenomenal book nonetheless. I also liked the book called "The Little Book that Beats the Market" It's actually a little book, and it's very short, but I found it incredibly interesting and a very effective strategy.

A great book is " Richest Man in Babylon". Addresses the really important need of how to hold accumulate wealth.

Agreed MM, Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich pulls from Richest Man in Babylon too.