Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

daedalus

Finally Migrated to OEC - Couple of Questions?

After the announcement TradeStation was raising data rates again I closed my account and opened one with OEC yesterday. Idea initially was to use OEC to feed MultiCharts 5.0 but apparently OEC 3.4 is not backwards compatible with any Multicharts version prior to 5.5 so i'm stuck with their platform, which while a little gimicky has allowed me for the most part to recreate my workspaces and charts (and import all of my .eld indicators with 100% functionality). So I suppose i'm blessed (and the fact that its free is amazing), but I do have a couple questions.

• 1). Is every version of OEC limited to 10 open charts at a time? (I'm still on the demo version now while the account is setup).
  • 2). How do you make the background "draggable" to pull back in time? Some of my charts allow this - but others just "select" a portion of the data in gray. Can't seem to figure out how to change this option.
  • 3). How do I fully close a chart? Seems like I can click the X and the chart will dissapear from view - but if I go to View > Charts > that chart will still be there (and it counts towards my 10 open chart limit so I need to get rid of some of the un-used charts that were part of a layout by default).
  • 4). Is there any bar spacing options other than just zooming in or out?

Thanks for your help gents!!!

After the announcement TradeStation was raising data rates again I closed my account and opened one with OEC yesterday. Idea initially was to use OEC to feed MultiCharts 5.0 but apparently OEC 3.4 is not backwards compatible with any Multicharts version prior to 5.5 so i'm stuck with their platform, which while a little gimicky has allowed me for the most part to recreate my workspaces and charts (and import all of my .eld indicators with 100% functionality). So I suppose i'm blessed (and the fact that its free is amazing), but I do have a couple questions.

That's what I've been saying all along. I came from a broker where I was paying $500/mo in platform fees + all my data fees + charting fees!

Let me see if I can answer your questions...

1). Is every version of OEC limited to 10 open charts at a time? (I'm still on the demo version now while the account is setup).

The default is set with a cap. Send them a support ticket and request an increase.

2). How do you make the background "draggable" to pull back in time? Some of my charts allow this - but others just "select" a portion of the data in gray. Can't seem to figure out how to change this option.

You'll find the shift key an important one in OEC trader. Hold down shift + scroll with your mouse to increase/decrease the zoom. You can also do this along the price axis as well.

3). How do I fully close a chart? Seems like I can click the X and the chart will dissapear from view - but if I go to View > Charts > that chart will still be there (and it counts towards my 10 open chart limit so I need to get rid of some of the un-used charts that were part of a layout by default).

Interesting observation, I had no idea they were still there in the background. I'm not 100% sure how to get rid of those there actually. Send a support ticket or call them and then post it here so we all know.

4). Is there any bar spacing options other than just zooming in or out?

I think the shift + scroll mouse might work here. Let me know if that does what you are looking for.

BF - You're the man. Thanks for the quick response.

I'll def. ask them about closing the chart. Only question I had was in response to the draggable background... The shift key didn't seem to do anything for me.

I'd like to be able to click anywhere on the chart and drag back in the price data rather than having to click on the scroll bar at the bottom to move the price history.

Some of my charts will do this - others I have to use the scroll bar at the bottom. Any ideas?

BF - You're the man. Thanks for the quick response.

I'll def. ask them about closing the chart. Only question I had was in response to the draggable background... The shift key didn't seem to do anything for me.

I'd like to be able to click anywhere on the chart and drag back in the price data rather than having to click on the scroll bar at the bottom to move the price history.

Some of my charts will do this - others I have to use the scroll bar at the bottom. Any ideas?

Perhaps it's a function of the amount of data loaded. Try loading more data and see if that helps. View > Load More Data or click the load more data icon on the toolbar.

bought my version second hand from another trader who stopped trading... can't upgrade so i'm SOL.

the Registration Code works without knowing who you are.

bought my version second hand from another trader who stopped trading... can't upgrade so i'm SOL.

MC just announced that all (legitimate) users will get free upgrades (a U turn on a U turn :)). They are also fairly flexible (or have been in the past) transferring licenses,

Having said that I would be a little wary of using betas. Their new releases often break stuff that worked previously and are somewhat buggy (though they are a bit better nowadays than in the early days).

I guess it's academic if OEC client will do all you require :)

I appreciate all the responses guys... the more I play with OEC the more I think I may just stick with them as a platform. As you mentioned blowfish - as far as indicator support goes my stuff is basic and easily supported by OEC. And the more I play around with OEC's trade from the charts function the more I love it.

Right now i'm trading on a laptop (and want to be able to trade soley from just a laptop for my dream of travel trading the world) but I hook up another monitor for all of my order DOM's... with OEC it would eliminate the need because as one chart fires up a a signal I could just enable trade mode and manage it perfectly from the laptop. That in of itself is enough for me to keep multicharts collecting dust (save for some coding on occasion) and let OEC handle everything else.

Thanks again guys - i'll let you know when I get answers to my other questions!

fwiw, I hooked up MultiCharts to OEC for a while --- and then disconnected it --- I like OEC's DOM for trading and felt it was seamless transition when staying on OEC from chart to the DOM to execute trades. And all my EL indicators run fine straight in OEC.

Just to update - i figured out one of my questions....

About the selectable background vs. dragable.

If you right click on a chart and go to View > Selection it toggles this option on and off.

However, I've been unable to keep this option toggled off when restarting the platform. It turns itself back on automatically on all of my layouts after i've saved them with them off.

But at least I know how to get the functionality when I need it. Hope this helps!

fwiw, I hooked up MultiCharts to OEC for a while --- and then disconnected it --- I like OEC's DOM for trading and felt it was seamless transition when staying on OEC from chart to the DOM to execute trades. And all my EL indicators run fine straight in OEC.

I'm the same way - if OEC's charts have what you need, seems like a good idea to just run it all in 1 program.

Just to update - i figured out one of my questions....

About the selectable background vs. dragable.

If you right click on a chart and go to View > Selection it toggles this option on and off.

However, I've been unable to keep this option toggled off when restarting the platform. It turns itself back on automatically on all of my layouts after i've saved them with them off.

But at least I know how to get the functionality when I need it. Hope this helps!

Same behaviour here, can’t keep the selection off, it always reverts.

I noticed that the dragable is only working horizontally, on my system anyway.:angry:

However the dragable function can be achieved by using the scroll wheel on the mouse (cursor on the chart) to get an horizontal move and on the price column to get a vertical move , by using shift key and the mouse wheel the chart can be expanded or contracted as if using – or + on the toolbar ( cursor on the price column with shift will expanded and contracted the chart vertically.

Anyone know how to get the traded volume on the quotes bar? I'd like to keep track of when I need to be looking for rollover on the contracts i'm trading but I can't seem to find an option to add it anywhere?

Anyone know how to get the traded volume on the quotes bar? I'd like to keep track of when I need to be looking for rollover on the contracts i'm trading but I can't seem to find an option to add it anywhere?

Talking about volume there is something to look at if you rely on the histogram, the total reported by the histograms, DOM and Chart should be identical to the total in quotes. I believe OEC is working on fixing it. If you see a big difference, don’t trust the histogram.

The histogram is supposed to start computing at the opening (ES 15:30), and reset at the next opening, I have seen some instances where the histogram didn’t reset resulting in total mess….

TotalVolume.thumb.png.db4be65e432377914b10071576e1c1cf.png

I Tried to get it working in OEC - it showed that it couldn´t compile correctly and the reason for that is that OEC doesn't support EsayLanguage upticks & downticks...but according to support it will work in the next release.

UpTick & DownTick is now supported in the new version of OEC, so now you can get the MarketDelta type indicators (bid/ask).The up/downticks comes also with the historical data so you can see what happened in the bid ask war historically.

Martin