Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

vikkktor

Searching for Trading Mentor(s)

Hello everyone,

I'm a beginning trader. I've spent the last year studying trading and I would love to have some practical experience before I begin to trade.

Are there any experienced trader(s) in the Atlanta metro area willing to show me the ropes?

Thank you.

Vikktor, I am teaching my daughter to trade and we are documenting it in a blog - nothing for sale. You might want to look over our shoulder and pick up an idea or two.\\\we are focused on trading order flow (as I did on the floor) in a Market Profile structure.

electroniclocal.blogspot.com

Hello everyone,

I'm a beginning trader. I've spent the last year studying trading and I would love to have some practical experience before I begin to trade.

Are there any experienced trader(s) in the Atlanta metro area willing to show me the ropes?

Thank you.

What is your budget for this mentoring?

Vikkktor, try looking for "traders" meetings on meetup.com in your area. Filter out those meetings that are run by trading schools or there may be an inherent bias. You want to find meetings that are run by traders. It could even be a TradeStation or ThinkOrSwim users group, so long as it is run by the users themselves. Then ask the meeting organizers if they can suggest some senior members who might be willing to help you with some questions. Hopefully you'll met several traders and find one or two that you communicate well with.

Good Luck

many people will tell you...

there is no substitution for screen time.

follow some of the journals on this site.

there should be plenty of material to start you off.

Edited by Tams

Mentoring will teach you to trade like some one else then the problem is you don't have that persons temperament or appetite for risk or general disposition.

many people will tell you...

there no substitution for screen time.

I agree with this statement 100%. I do believe a mentor can get you up to speed faster and shorten the learning curve. I had a mentor and I can atest that it was the best money ever spent. JMO. Most folks will pay their tuition to the market one way or the other. Either by paying for professional help. Or by losses in the market. Unfortunately, in most cases the losses in the market are worse. Whatever you decide, I wish you luck with your trading.

A true mentor undrestsnds this and is well versed in more than one strategy. The should be able to help the student identify the best possible trading methods for the students temperment, time, and risk tolerence.

Happy Trading

Ektrader

Edited by ektrader

Hello everyone,

Thank you.

Hi there,

I invite you to check out my YouTube channel (ektrader211) I have several live trades that show my style. If you like what you see. PM me. We can do it over the Internet if you'd like. (webcasting)

Happy Trading

Ektrader

Hi Guys,

A true mentor undrestsnds this and is well versed in more than one strategy. The should be able to help the student identify the best possible trading methods for the students temperment, time, and risk tolerence.

Happy Trading

Ektrader

Agreed.

A great mentor won't give you a system or strategy at all, they will guide you building your own strategy which may not resemble theirs at all.

Without individual thought there is no progress, only evolutionarily stunted clones.

Vikktor, I am teaching my daughter to trade and we are documenting it in a blog - nothing for sale. You might want to look over our shoulder and pick up an idea or two.\\\we are focused on trading order flow (as I did on the floor) in a Market Profile structure.

electroniclocal.blogspot.com

Hello Mr electronlocal,

Hmmmm, from a retail traders standpoint. How do you read orderflow? You can see the orders? Where can I get This software?

Ektrader

The market itself represents the absolute best instructor for learning how to trade.

- Spydertrader

I disagree. It's kind of like learning how to fight by having your opponent whip your butt. yeah, you could learn this way, but there's much easier ways.

Happy Trading

Ektrader

I disagree. It's kind of like learning how to fight by having your opponent whip your butt. yeah, you could learn this way, but there's much easier ways.

Then you simply chose to interpret my words in a fashion unintended. How can an opponent 'whip one's butt' from simply watching a fight, but not participating?

Monitoring the market (in an effort to learn something), does not imply a need for the learning trader to be placing actual trades during this time frame.

- Spydertrader

Hi there,

I invite you to check out my YouTube channel (ektrader211) I have several live trades that show my style. If you like what you see. PM me. We can do it over the Internet if you'd like. (webcasting)

Happy Trading

Ektrader

are you soliciting business?

are you soliciting business?

No sir Mr Tams,

The gentleman asked if someone is willing to show him the ropes. And I just asked him if he likes my stuff, I'm willing. I didn't come here to find him.

Honestly...... I've found that these trading forums are bad for that anyway. Although most say they come here to learn. The truth is they usually already have there own ideas about the market and how they expect to trade. The others, are just curious and like the atmosphere.:nospam:

Happy Trading

Ektrader

No sir Mr Tams,

The gentleman asked if someone is willing to show him the ropes. And I just asked him if he likes my stuff, I'm willing. I didn't come here to find him.

Honestly...... I've found that these trading forums are bad for that anyway. Although most say they come here to learn. The truth is they usually already have there own ideas about the market and how they expect to trade. The others, are just curious and like the atmosphere.:nospam:

Happy Trading

Ektrader

I asked, not out of disrespect, but because you said you have your video on youtube...

I haven't watched them... my feeling is, you sound like a commercial venture.

Edited by Tams

Then you simply chose to interpret my words in a fashion unintended. How can an opponent 'whip one's butt' from simply watching a fight, but not participating?

Monitoring the market (in an effort to learn something), does not imply a need for the learning trader to be placing actual trades during this time frame.

- Spydertrader

I apologize spydertrader. You're right, I did misinterpret your words. I thought you meant that one should just jump into the market and start taking their lumps. (thats a common thought amongst a lot of people). I believe a person SHOULD take their time and learn to read charts, money management, etc.... befor jumping in.

Happy Trading

Ektrader

I asked, not out of disrespect, but because you said you have your video on youtube...

I haven't watched it... my feeling is, you sound like a commercial venture.

No offense taken Tams. I know how it is when "the new guy" comes around and starts talking like he knows somthing. I'm a member of another community where I'm one of the more respected guys. I'm not here to cause any waves. I found a few threads that interested me so I joined up.

My youtube videos do not have anything that sounds remotely like a sales pitch. They are just stuff that I do and if someone learns from them. GREAT!!

I know what I said sounded like I'm hunting for clients but that was not my goal here. I just said what I truly believe. I've been trading just shy of 2 years and consistently profitable for 1. My learning curve jumped way ahead by having someone teach me the right things to do. I know people that have been trading 20 have been trading 6 to 10 years and still struggle. Anyway.............

Happy Trading

Ektrader

No offense taken Tams. I know how it is when "the new guy" comes around and starts talking like he knows somthing. I'm a member of another community where I'm one of the more respected guys. I'm not here to cause any waves. I found a few threads that interested me so I joined up.

My youtube videos do not have anything that sounds remotely like a sales pitch. They are just stuff that I do and if someone learns from them. GREAT!!

I know what I said sounded like I'm hunting for clients but that was not my goal here. I just said what I truly believe. I've been trading just shy of 2 years and consistently profitable for 1. My learning curve jumped way ahead by having someone teach me the right things to do. I know people that have been trading 20 have been trading 6 to 10 years and still struggle. Anyway.............

Happy Trading

Ektrader

I took a quick look at one of your vid,

you sound like an ok guy.

note: I said he sounds like an ok guy. no, this is not an endorsement or opinion of his trading method.

I thought you meant that one should just jump into the market and start taking their lumps.

No harm. No foul. It's quite easy to misenterpret items posted in a two dimensional environemnt such as a web site. I recommend people learning to trade don't even fund a trading account until they have fully prepared themselves through a learning environment.

The market provides all the information a trader ever needs. Unfortunately, many traders fail to learn the language spoken, prior to, determining they 'understand' what the market has chosen to provide.

I do agree with you with respect to jumping in too early. Once real money makes its way into the market, a whole host of psychological issues creeps into an inexperienced trader's mindset - irresepctive of trading methodology.

Better to learn to crawl, walk, run and then learn to fly.

Good Trading to you.

- Spydertrader