Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Tams

Free Software ( Trading / Charting / Analysis )

Tradeproject is free, uses IB data. 32bit, 64bit versions available. Looks like it is capable of live trading with IB.

attachment.php?attachmentid=17954&stc=1&d=1263846483

Ninjatrader is free for charting, simulation and development; various data sources. Live trading is not free.

NexTick is free for charting, uses free Yahoo historical data and limited intraday data.

TradeprojectMainScreenBig.thumb.png.3176898831b0b7a586518ff3d5ff3405.png

Edited by thrunner

PT multistation from PFSoft

I've been using this multi-asset platform. It can trade on a range of markets: Forex, Futures, CFDs, Options and Stocks.

It's based on the front-end of the same company's well-established ProTrader brokerage platform.

The basic version is free, and some powerful stuff can be added by subscribing.

NinjaTrader is completely free for advanced charting, analytics, system development using C# and trade simulation. We only charge if ever you decide to use our platform for live trading.

We have several free data sources available -

Kinetick - Streaming real time quotes and historical market data for free EOD data for stocks, futures and forex

Yahoo Finance and Google Finance for free EOD data for stocks

You can also use your existing brokerage account for real time data such as -

Interactive Brokers

MB Trading

TD Ameritrade

or if you need real time data we support

Kinetick - Streaming real time quotes and historical market data

eSignal

IQFeed

I'm a fan of Ninjatrader. If you've seen my trade reports you'll notice those are Ninja screen shots. I actually don't use the charting on the application but use all the trade management tools and connection into my IB account. I know the charting is good, I just got used to something else but use Ninja everyday regardless.

I hadn't heard of the Kinetick data -- for me the whole data question with NinjaTrader is sometimes confusing since it is reliant on other datafeeds, your broker, etc... and there is so much variance on whether your datafeed has historicals, is tick based, etc... I will check out Kinetick -- anyone have anything to say about it in real-time use?

MMS

I'm sure I will be corrected if I am wrong but I believe it is a re-branded version of IQFeed. I guess all the comments about that are pertinent provided DTN are managing the whole thing on the same ticker plant and infrastructure.

I too quite like Ninja though the charting is OK but weak for some applications. They missed a great opportunity to re-architect some of the core components with V7.0. The obvious one being the database it's sad people still need external user supported databases (Gomi) the other thing that is needed is to be able to build charts tick by tick from historic data. To be fair several other charting packages suffer from these issues, the smart developers realise the limitations imposed by these archaic architectures.

Edited by BlowFish

I'm definitely with you on building charts with historic tick data.

Always frustrating when you either can't get enough historical data, or they (meaning any vendor not Ninja specific) make a big deal about having all this long history on daily charts or 5 minute charts when in reality many/most really active daytraders are using tick bars, range bars, etc... we need historical going way back on those not just daily or time intervals.

New to trading and Ninja.. Read about TTM squeeze before .. where might I get TTM squeeze for Ninja ?

1. you can start a new thread instead of hijacking this one

2. do a search on TL... the search box is at the top right corner of this page.

3. have you tried google ????

I'm sure I will be corrected if I am wrong but I believe it is a re-branded version of IQFeed. I guess all the comments about that are pertinent provided DTN are managing the whole thing on the same ticker plant and infrastructure.

Kinetick is a market data service owned by NinjaTrader. Telvent DTN is in fact the technology provider. Integration wise, NinjaTrader does not use their API but writes directly to the Telvent servers thus the interface is more efficient and direct than any 3rd party tool that connects into the IQFeed API. Although Kinetick is new, the technology behind it is battle tested.

Price wise its also much less expensive than other options such as eSignal.

Question -- so what would someone be looking at let's say monthly to have Ninjatrader + data? Let's assume without the monthly exchange fees because obviously those are basically the same for everyone regardless and it depends on what someone picks (ICE, CME, CBOT, etc...)

MMS

Question -- so what would someone be looking at let's say monthly to have Ninjatrader + data? Let's assume without the monthly exchange fees because obviously those are basically the same for everyone regardless and it depends on what someone picks (ICE, CME, CBOT, etc...)

MMS

As most already know, the NinjaTrader platform is free for everything except for live trades through your broker. Assuming that you would only want to use NinjaTrader for charting, analysis and/or custom indicator/system development...You would need to tie it to a market data source. Your options here are a cheap as "free" if you have a brokerage account that we support (TD Ameritrade, MB Trading, Interactive Brokers for example all provide data that you can drive into NinjaTrader free of charge) or if you only require EOD data, Kinetick providers that free of charge or you can connect to Yahoo or Google Finance (NT7).

If you require intraday data...

- Kinetick (Kinetick - Streaming real time quotes and historical market data) base fee is $50 per month which includes 100 real time symbols

- eSignal or IQFeed is a lot more expensive than that

At what point will NT7 ever be able to access from DTN/Kinetic the 30 days of BID/ASK historical data provided like TradeVec, Investor RT, or MarketDelta.com?

This is a HUGE stumbling block for Ninjatrader at this time........not really even worth messing around with BID/ASK data from DTN/Kinetic if I can't easily pull up 30 days of historical lookback imo. BTW, MultiCharts is going to start looking at building up a Cumulative Delta capability....we will see how they do with this opportunity.

Stockcharts.com & Bigcharts.com are old reliable sources when you need to cross check something (like your CFD provider stuffing up a stock split). Also some nice index & market data there, A/D lines, Dollar indexes etc.

Also metaquotes.net for a non broker tied metatrader to play with.