Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

Bid-Ask Pressure Indicator for Tradestation

This is a bid-ask pressure indicator for Tradestation trading platform. All credits go out to the author of this indicator from the Tradestation forum alias lleibfarth.

Here is a description from his post:

Description: This indicator is a smoothed version of the TS indicator Bid & Ask Vol Ratio and works with real-time, intraday charts. The intent is to provide more usable information about the current ratio of bid/ask volume. This indicator will not work on historical data (it must be used during a live intraday market) and is relative to the chart interval on which it is used. I have found this indicator to be most useful in shorter charting intervals.

How it works: The data is smoothed using a double-smoothed exponential average that heavily weighs the most recent ratios. This provides a relatively predictable curve (or histogram) that tracks changes very quickly. In addition, a logarithmic ratio is used to provide a zero-line reference (and color change). "

Screenshot:

ba%20indicator.jpg

20060726114402BA PRESSURE.ELD

Is there anyway that this can be converted to ELS (2000i) version? Or I can get the code so that I can do it myself?

Thanks

Here you go ...........

inputs:

Period(20),

UpColor(green),

DownColor(red);

variables:

MyVol(0),

Color(yellow),

SmoothedBA(0),

Length(squareroot(Period)),

intrabarpersist MyCurrentBar(0),

intrabarpersist VolumeAtBid(0),

intrabarpersist VolumeAtAsk(0),

intrabarpersist BAVolRatio(0),

intrabarpersist VolTmp(0);

if LastBarOnChart and BarStatus(1) <> 2 then begin

MyVol = Iff(BarType < 2, Ticks, Volume);

if CurrentBar > MyCurrentBar then begin

VolumeAtBid = 0;

VolumeAtAsk = 0;

BAVolRatio = 0;

VolTmp = 0;

MyCurrentBar = CurrentBar;

end;

if InsideBid < InsideAsk then begin

if Close <= InsideBid then

VolumeAtBid = VolumeAtBid + MyVol - VolTmp

else if Close >= InsideAsk then

VolumeAtAsk = VolumeAtAsk + MyVol - VolTmp ;

end;

if VolumeAtBid > 0 and VolumeAtAsk > 0 then BAVolRatio = Log( VolumeAtAsk / VolumeAtBid );

VolTmp = MyVol ;

end ;

SmoothedBA = xaverage(xaverage(BAvolratio, Length), Length);

if SmoothedBA <= 0 then color = DownColor else color = UpColor;

plot1(SmoothedBA, "Pressure", color);

Plot2( 0, "ZeroLine" ) ;

Cheers

Blu-Ray

has anyone succeeded in plotting this indicator w/ ts2000i?

it appears it's way beyond my level..

oh, and the same w/ the bid/ask tape indicator. i'll keep trying.

is it missing a function perhaps, that's in the later versions of TS?

2000i doesn't recognize 'insideBid' or 'insideAsk', so i've been trying to replace them. also the 'intrabarpersist' is not known in 2000i..

:edit: could be it's just not doable in 2000i

Edited by bubba

This is a good indicator, but may be i am old and like things visual. Is it possible for someone to code it so that on the histogram and up bar is green and if it goes down the histogram bar is red?? Because if you look at the indicator, it can tell bottoms and tops of the wave form very well as compared to price action. A change in color of the histogram bar would be great.....thanks !!!

This is a good indicator, but may be i am old and like things visual. Is it possible for someone to code it so that on the histogram and up bar is green and if it goes down the histogram bar is red?? Because if you look at the indicator, it can tell bottoms and tops of the wave form very well as compared to price action. A change in color of the histogram bar would be great.....thanks !!!

errrrrrr..............isn't it already coded with the color change you mentioned, it certainly looks like it as per the chart on the first post.

edit: after looking at the code, it should definately change color ( remember this code works on live data only )

Hope this helps

Blu-Ray

currently, the color changes when it crosses above the zero line and stays green when it is above the zero line and it becomes red when it is below the zero line. I was wondering if it can be coded not for zero line crossovers. I would like it to stay green when it keeps going up on the next bar, and go red on a next down bar of the histogram. The price action follows this very well.

thanks...my other favorite indicator is TWIGGS money flow oscillator modified by cosmic.

currently, the color changes when it crosses above the zero line and stays green when it is above the zero line and it becomes red when it is below the zero line. I was wondering if it can be coded not for zero line crossovers. I would like it to stay green when it keeps going up on the next bar, and go red on a next down bar of the histogram. The price action follows this very well.

thanks...my other favorite indicator is TWIGGS money flow oscillator modified by cosmic.

My apologies, I got the wrong end of the stick ( as usual :o )

Open up the ELD code and replace this line:

with this one:

if SmoothedBA <= SmoothedBA[1] then color = DownColor else color = UpColor;

Hope this helps

Blu-Ray

BLU-RAY,

It works perfectly! The price action follows the B-A Pressure histogram very well. Green for up in price and red for down in price. This works most of the time.

Thank you so much.

dr ho.

BLU-RAY,

It works perfectly! The price action follows the B-A Pressure histogram very well. Green for up in price and red for down in price. This works most of the time.

Thank you so much.

dr ho.

No Probs, Glad to be of help.

Cheers

Blu-Ray

how to you open the code?

Thanks

Insert the indicator onto the chart, then right click and click on "edit easylanguage", as long as you've got TS8 or if you want to just see the code, I've already posted it on post#4 of this thread.

Alright guys... I need some help here. I've got an idea to modify this indicator but don't know quite where to start.

I think keeping trade of the B/A pressure in a market is ESSENTIAL. Obviously reading tape is important and can give you important information about what everyone is doing at a given time.

My question is this. Would it be possible to modify this indicator to track only the B/A for lots over a specified size like you can with the Time and Sales windows in Tradestation?

Basically, i'd like to modify the code to make an input available to specify, ok i only want to track lots in the market over the size of 20 contracts, etc. so that You could weed out the movements of the retail traders with this indicator and only track the smart money's movements within the market?

Thanks for all of your help guys! Hope to hear back from you soon!

Does this indicator change color? I mean like certain other indicators - the ones that shoud a red bar, the red bar closes and but if the trend goes the other way it changes that closed bars' color ... you know what I mean?

Thank you!

Does this indicator change color? I mean like certain other indicators - the ones that shoud a red bar, the red bar closes and but if the trend goes the other way it changes that closed bars' color ... you know what I mean?

Thank you!

You mean " does it repaint the bar" ............ No it doesn't

Hope this helps

Blu-Ray

Guest forsearch

Just keep in mind that it does not work on historical data, though. Gotta run it live for it to work.

You mean " does it repaint the bar" ............ No it doesn't

Hope this helps

Blu-Ray

Yes that was what I had in mind, thanks, I am glad to hear that it doesn't repaints... no offence the indicator looks very good and I had to make sure because I have wasted a lot of time testing indicators that look flawless but when you run them live ... they fail miserably, Nice indicator then!

Here you go ...........

inputs:

Period(20),

UpColor(green),

DownColor(red);

variables:

MyVol(0),

Color(yellow),

SmoothedBA(0),

Length(squareroot(Period)),

intrabarpersist MyCurrentBar(0),

intrabarpersist VolumeAtBid(0),

intrabarpersist VolumeAtAsk(0),

intrabarpersist BAVolRatio(0),

intrabarpersist VolTmp(0);

if LastBarOnChart and BarStatus(1) <> 2 then begin

MyVol = Iff(BarType < 2, Ticks, Volume);

if CurrentBar > MyCurrentBar then begin

VolumeAtBid = 0;

VolumeAtAsk = 0;

BAVolRatio = 0;

VolTmp = 0;

MyCurrentBar = CurrentBar;

end;

if InsideBid < InsideAsk then begin

if Close <= InsideBid then

VolumeAtBid = VolumeAtBid + MyVol - VolTmp

else if Close >= InsideAsk then

VolumeAtAsk = VolumeAtAsk + MyVol - VolTmp ;

end;

if VolumeAtBid > 0 and VolumeAtAsk > 0 then BAVolRatio = Log( VolumeAtAsk / VolumeAtBid );

VolTmp = MyVol ;

end ;

SmoothedBA = xaverage(xaverage(BAvolratio, Length), Length);

plot1(SmoothedBA, "Pressure", color);

Plot2( 0, "ZeroLine" ) ;

Cheers

Blu-Ray

hey blu my freind..

little question .... can you maby put in this indicator upgrade with

option that you can filter the volume of the contracts so we can for example filter to 100 contracts only and see just the big boys way ?

thanks alot

:)