Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

nab999

Range Breakout Indi

Hi All,

I coded the following indicator as a paint bar in easy language for use on forex intraday markets.

What I am trying to get to is an indicator that will paint bars when they are in a narrow range, then look to trade a breakout of that range, i.e. when the white bars no longer plot.

I though I would post it here for anyone that maybe able to make use of it and also to see if anyone knows of a better indicator than this for showing a range that can then be used for trading a breakout.

Someone suggested an intraday Darvas Box would be better... I have searched for EL code for this, but am not able to find it.

Any views as to a better indi.....

Many thanks.

RBF.ELD

5aa70f5a460a6_ScreenHunter_01Nov_1413_54.thumb.gif.4f72a8ae89c0a979f1f3efa3058de8f6.gif

better indicator than this for showing a range that can then be used for trading a breakout.

Have you checked Tom Demark's breakout setup's?

Would post them but don't remember them... can dig them up if you can't find them...

They might be too 'wide' for fx and / or your purposes...

Buy the book Demark Indicators by Jason Perl - can be found on the bloomberg website.

- if you (like I) dont have Bloomberg - which they now have a whole demark indicator section - very good. Everything is explained there.

To replicate a lot of his indicators would seem pretty difficult, but there are some good ideas, and some things that can be reasonably easily done - Plus his are not systems - just indicators.

some info about Darvas

Darvas Box Theory - Home

What Does Darvas Box Theory Mean?

A trading strategy that was developed in 1956 by former ballroom dancer Nicolas Darvas. Darvas' trading technique involved buying into stocks that were trading at new 52-week highs with correspondingly high volumes.

A Darvas box is created when the price of a stock rises above the previous 52-week high, but then falls back to a price not far from that high. If the price falls too much, it can be a signal of a false breakout, otherwise the lower price is used as the bottom of the box and the high as the top. Investopedia explains Darvas Box Theory

In 1956, Darvas was able to turn an investment of $10,000 into $2 million over an 18-month period. While traveling for his dancing, Darvas would obtain copies of The Wall Street Journal and Barron's, but he would only look at the stock prices to make his decisions. It has been said that Darvas was less happy about the profits that he made than he was about the ease and peace of mind that he got from implementing his system.

Skeptics of Darvas' technique attribute his success to the fact that he was trading in a very bullish market. They also say that returns comparable to the ones he saw can't be attained if this technique is used in a bear market.

Hi,

I am a new user of Tradestation. I get the following error when trying to add this indicator to RadarScreen:

Unable to add the analysis technique: DarvasBox. Study does not contain plot information.

When adding the indicator to the graph it works just fine. Only issue i have is with RadarScreen.

If anyone can help please let me know.

Thank you in advance.