Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Dinerotrader

Interesting Charts for Technical Trades

OCNF (freightliner transport)

I am pretty leary about this one. I have made money several times on it before based on trading from support which is why I still watch it but the bankruptcy risk on this is ever present like most of the big ocean transporters. I am a little worried to hold this overnight.

attachment.php?attachmentid=16454&stc=1&d=1260397849

5aa70f7dde3da_12-9-20091.png.35a9cbc36da3405b36a181e65b5a3fff.png

RAIL

Quick fundamental info.

It is a railroad. Warren Buffet just bought a railroad recently citing that as the economy grows so will the transport business (not that everything he does is the right thing). This railroad and also the one he bought and both transport a lot of coal.

The support level was holding well and I liked the fundamentals for a long term hold. Stop loss would be below the support line. I bought this one with real IRA money.

attachment.php?attachmentid=16293&stc=1&d=1259963068

Quick update on RAIL. I actually bought this one at support when I posted the chart. I don't buy stock very often right now since I am focusing most of my time on SIM trading futures. I'm up 4.3% right now so I am happy thus far.

attachment.php?attachmentid=16455&stc=1&d=1260398373

5aa70f7de4c9d_12-9--200911.thumb.png.3763ef6c6ed2b9fac5312b498a6ccdc8.png

MBI

This was a $65 stock before the 2008 collapse. They have some lawsuits going on right now which worry me but based on pure chart reading. There seems to be a low risk entry entry point at support in expectation of a reversal to the upside.

attachment.php?attachmentid=16456&stc=1&d=1260399028

5aa70f7deaf58_12-9-200912.png.7d69f821f8c4d2bf7336c72ab4ad09dc.png

S

Sprint...

I'd be looking for a short on this one. The big ol' doji caught my eye from today's price action along with how close it is to resistance. I noted a few other hammers/doji's that appeared in the past and provided reasonable moves.

attachment.php?attachmentid=16457&stc=1&d=1260399528

5aa70f7df2303_12-9-200913.thumb.png.03ba70aa1faad912eeeaee228cb07e80.png

Just for the heck of it....

support was at 6.00 and it didnt hold(notice the longshadows that formed trying to hold 6.00).

6.00 is now Resistance and there is another R between 6.00 and 6.25. If I buyt here which I wouldnt, I would keep and eye on 6.00 and a little above that because thats seller will come in again.

A turn at 5.00 may be in the cards.

Also that recent top looks very majore, but i would have to see more of the left edge.

Just for the heck of it....

support was at 6.00 and it didnt hold(notice the longshadows that formed trying to hold 6.00).

6.00 is now Resistance and there is another R between 6.00 and 6.25. If I buyt here which I wouldnt, I would keep and eye on 6.00 and a little above that because thats seller will come in again.

A turn at 5.00 may be in the cards.

Also that recent top looks very majore, but i would have to see more of the left edge.

I assume you are referring to the TLAB chart. 6 was definitely a level and I should have marked it. In my opinion it didn't provide a great trading entry setup because it just chopped around that level but the level it is at right now is showing some great tight action just above showing me that it is significant right now in investor's eyes. In June when it had this same tight action it ended up reversing. I can see both a long and a short with tight stops providing some good risk reward trades.

Hi Dinortrader,

Yes regarding TALB(FYI not at al familiar with this stock, but a chart is a chart)

I looked at that chart for at most 5min....because I was in a rush to meet someone.

Had I had more time I would have added, dont take anything I mentioned too seriously, becuase it was at a glance analysis.

Infact at second look I would say, even if we broke below your S and price reached 5.00.

I would not be interested in buying, but thats my prefernece.

The S you are showing is good solid S (I would have drawn it a little higher but thts not a big deal) the problem that I see is that buyers will have two very near R to push through(the range of apprx. a little below 6.00-6.25) and that would not give me enough wiggle room, thus those type of trades.... although they can be sucessful, I prefer to let them go. Just my prefernce from experience and how much I like to get as my min profit per trade.

Now back to your chart I see that big dark candle just barely kissed your S, that big candle should have punched trough the S but it didnt even my S being slightly higher the big dark candle was not able to close below it. There is still no confirmation to take the long trade for me, thus even if i wanted to be long I would need to wait for a confirmation.

A few things can happen , regardless if I get a confirmation,

price a starts to move up.

Price gaps below the S.

Price starts to contract creating small candle lines and then another Big dark candle slices right through the S and moves down to fill that gap around 5.25 and possibly testing 5.00.

That gap is infact another reason I dont want to be long. at the moment.

Different views are what make the markets, dont take my wrtting as direct disagreement.

Keep on posting.... For me when I have the time, which is rare, its always fun to do this type of analysis.

Dinero - nice charts and nice trade on the one you are in. I think you'll find just doing some chart analysis, even on daily stock charts, will help your futures trading. You might also find that it's easier on stocks and go that direction. You never know where trading will take you. I went from stocks to options to futures.

On the TLAB chart, on previous page last post by Dineortrader, posted I could not see enough of the left edge so i decided to undertake the hard task of opening anew chart and typing TLAB...

The key levels on the charts are the locations that I would monitor.

obviously, when I looked at more of the left edge the landscape changed.

T1.thumb.PNG.d521279e14ea24d10960ff4da0ecd917.PNG

T2.thumb.PNG.d6b57b8276cbf7ce38d15ae2acd76f8c.PNG

Edited by sep34

The S you are showing is good solid S (I would have drawn it a little higher but thts not a big deal) the problem that I see is that buyers will have two very near R to push through(the range of apprx. a little below 6.00-6.25) and that would not give me enough wiggle room, thus those type of trades.... although they can be sucessful, I prefer to let them go. Just my prefernce from experience and how much I like to get as my min profit per trade.

I totally agree with this. You have to be picky about which trades to take and this might not provide the best R:R compared to some other opportunities. I scan through a lot of stocks so the ones I post hear I have only looked at for 40-60 seconds to note S/R, consider candles, trendlines, and price action. When my sons aren't so young I will be teaching them to do this type of scanning for me so I can just consider the cream of the crop for possible trades.

Dinero - nice charts and nice trade on the one you are in. I think you'll find just doing some chart analysis, even on daily stock charts, will help your futures trading. You might also find that it's easier on stocks and go that direction. You never know where trading will take you. I went from stocks to options to futures.

Stocks can be fun but for intraday trades I find selecting which stocks to make trades on very distracting when all I want to focus on is reading price action and finding great entry points. Futures help me to just focus on that and it has really helped my analytical skills and PA awareness. Thales is great at stock selection and gave me a lot of help but I am still learning. So far I really like futures and most days it feels like I am getting better at it.

By the way, I took a few minuts and went through the 4 pages and peeked at all the charts. post #27 has to be my favorit chart (RAIL), probably because its the easiest chart for me to understand.

Hi Dinero, as a side note

have you read "blink" Malcom Gladwell - its an interesting book - but the point of mentioning it is sometimes - when you have expertise or experience in something, then just by flicking through a lot of charts and pulling out the ones that your intuition rates highly can work very well. Its the old story of not trying to think to hard and over analyse things.

Myself and a partner used to flick through over 100 charts and pull the ones that looked good - it worked. Problem is now I want to be a little more process driven. :crap:

why fix it? Age - stubbornness - boredom.

(this is more a trading physc thread)

There was a great quote - i think it was from Jesse Livermore - that went something like.....

"not taking a loss does more damage to the soul than to the pocketbook"

I kind of apply this to myself in that when trading completely on feel I tended to get ill disciplined, and gave back chunks of money usually after big wins. Then I used to mutter to myself like some mad man - hrumpf , moth f...k, idiot, stinking market etc; etc;

I started to loose friends, girlfriends and the like.

By introducing an element of discipline and trying to flatten/smooth the pl etc I enjoy myself more by not being too harsh on myself. This should make for a longer trading and more scalable trading career.

People talk about burnout in trading - I think to a certain extent its more about boredom - which then leads to excessive risk taking, stupid decisions, and low risk trades while trying to capture the thrill of being right. So by adding more of an element of process driven decisions it takes some of that emotional element out of it.

(just kidding about the loosing friends)

OCNF (freightliner transport)

I am pretty leary about this one. I have made money several times on it before based on trading from support which is why I still watch it but the bankruptcy risk on this is ever present like most of the big ocean transporters. I am a little worried to hold this overnight.

I decided to pull the trigger on OCNF and buy in at 1.02 with a stop loss at 0.97. I liked that its support is near the $1 level which gives it a little more umph to keep price above $1 just because of the average investor psychology.

attachment.php?attachmentid=16495&stc=1&d=1260551544

5aa70f7f39ea3_12-11-20091.thumb.png.c8217861119250ef8809e7429a3cd09a.png

I'd keep a short leash on OCNF, obviously psch levels can work against once broken.

Although I strickly trade futures these days your thread piqued my interest, especially because TLAB used to a favorite of mine back in the late 90's ($60/$70 a share days :)) but I think it looks good here.

An Elliott Wave ABC correction looks to be complete sitting on long term 50% retracement level among others and a TD Buy Sequential too - although this could possibly recycle.

5aa70f802baa7_DTTLAB.thumb.gif.3ba207d7babada9a91394500b316a1e6.gif

5aa70f808db3c_TSTLAB.png.0444a7a7688728d2f1d070b71d8425f9.png

I'd keep a short leash on OCNF, obviously psch levels can work against once broken.

Although I strickly trade futures these days your thread piqued my interest, especially because TLAB used to a favorite of mine back in the late 90's ($60/$70 a share days :)) but I think it looks good here.

An Elliott Wave ABC correction looks to be complete sitting on long term 50% retracement level among others and a TD Buy Sequential too - although this could possibly recycle.

I don't day trade stocks anymore because I am focused on futures also but I still have some money in IRA, ROTH, and such that needs some management and once the futures I watch die down in the afternoon, I like to relax with some daily stock chart scanning. It also gives me something to talk about with other people that invest but don't know anything about futures. Most people can discuss stocks. Hopefully, this thread will lead me to a trading strategy for my longer term position stock trades.

ARP

I am almost positive I will buying this one on Monday. Great bounce off support, nice big hammer candle at support a few days ago and I like the fundamentals. I'll definitely have a stop in in case it starts to break below support.

attachment.php?attachmentid=16546&stc=1&d=1260718596

5aa70f80b4620_SNAG-12-13-200901.thumb.png.dad26a1c0d937e24d95d71716b26d0e0.png

Hi Dinero,

I'll join your penny stock parade. I'm not initiating any new longs right now given the current market action, but, if the markets intentions were clearly to continue up, this is what I would be looking for: SRLS has established a nice, orderly uptrend over several months, and it is now puling back after getting to within 34 pennies of its all time high according to the data I have on Telecharts. I like this little pullback to 3.50, so I would be looking to buy if Friday's high is bttered by at least a dime, and my stop loss would be a penny below Friday's low. I'd be watchful at the 4.50 level (all time high $4.54), but my intention would be to hold this for a few bags if it pushed tonew all time highs.

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70f80da830_12-11-2009SRLS1.thumb.jpg.54aa610db1808271904ab55e370aec45.jpg

Hi Dinero,

I'll join your penny stock parade. I'm not initiating any new longs right now given the current market action, but, if the markets intentions were clearly to continue up, this is what I would be looking for: SRLS has established a nice, orderly uptrend over several months, and it is now puling back after getting to within 34 pennies of its all time high according to the data I have on Telecharts. I like this little pullback to 3.50, so I would be looking to buy if Friday's high is bttered by at least a dime, and my stop loss would be a penny below Friday's low. I'd be watchful at the 4.50 level (all time high $4.54), but my intention would be to hold this for a few bags if it pushed tonew all time highs.

Penny stock parade! :)

Okay I guess I do like the looks of quite a few cheapies but I haven't posted anything that was cheaper than a $1. Interesting that you chose SRLS. I actually did some tax strategy work for them 3 years ago. I'll keep an eye on this one. Thanks for the chart.

I agree, market direction is pretty hazy right now which is why I am mostly in cash looking for interesting setups.

I'll try to get some more large cap stocks in the mix. Feel free to throw some in also.