Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

nab999

Range Bars Indi

Hi All,

I am using TS 8.6, with IQ feed running through Owndata 2.7.

With this setup I am not able to construct Range Bars as a price plot ( i.e. range = 10 ticks).

Does anyone know where I can get code that will construct a Range Bar indicator if i run tick data as data1 ( i.e. 1 bar = range of 10 ticks )

Many thanks.

nab999

I think you'll need to open quote manager for Owndata and then edit your symbol and adjust the price scale accordingly.

This happened to me in the past when using Inifinity data through MultiCharts...... so just thought it might be the same problem...... worth a go.

Cheers

Blu-Ray

Hi All,

I am using TS 8.6, with IQ feed running through Owndata 2.7.

With this setup I am not able to construct Range Bars as a price plot ( i.e. range = 10 ticks).

Does anyone know where I can get code that will construct a Range Bar indicator if i run tick data as data1 ( i.e. 1 bar = range of 10 ticks )

Many thanks.

Strangely, when TS implemented the Range Bar it called it MOMENTUM. Range is something else again. Why don;t you just us the TS feed and use their Momentum bar if that is what you want? (I must be missing something here)

Hi, no it will not plot momentum bars either.

I have tried every possible combination with the datafeed and ts settings blue ray, but they still will not plot.

If anyone could point me in the direction of an indi that will construct range bars I would be most gratefull

Hi, no it will not plot momentum bars either.

I have tried every possible combination with the datafeed and ts settings blue ray, but they still will not plot.

If anyone could point me in the direction of an indi that will construct range bars I would be most gratefull

Can you post a screenshot of your settings and also one of your chart to show what it's plotting please.

Cheers

Blu-Ray

Hi Blue Ray,

I got a reply from the company that provide owndata, at last.

They say that owndata2 does not support range bars Etc for TS.

Hopefully someone will know of an indicator that I can use to create range bars indicator from tick data.

Many thanks for your help.

Hi Blue Ray,

I got a reply from the company that provide owndata, at last.

They say that owndata2 does not support range bars Etc for TS.

Hopefully someone will know of an indicator that I can use to create range bars indicator from tick data.

Many thanks for your help.

do you need this for discretionair trading and therefore actually want to see the rangebars

as chart or is your intention to build an system on the rangebars ?

a while ago i was working on a litle project which

required rangebars to eliminate the time fractor and it had to do be done in ts2000i, what i did is i created my own

"virtual" rangebars stored inside arrays by calculating the moves which price made

Hi,

I am looking to use them for a system.

Being able to see them plotted would be a bonus.

Do you think it would be possible to use your virtual range bars project with TS 8.6 ?

Many thanks.

Hi,

I am looking to use them for a system.

Being able to see them plotted would be a bonus.

Do you think it would be possible to use your virtual range bars project with TS 8.6 ?

Many thanks.

Nab, i am not sure how familiar yo are with EL but creating virtual range bars from ticks

shouldnt be to hard.

why dont you give it a try, i will assist.a rangebar is nothing more then a bar with a

pre-defined range from high to low where the close is allways either the high of the

bar or the low of the bar.

it maybe not perfect and can not be used for very narrow ranges but im sure it can be done.

give it a try and let me know how far you come,

while you said you are willing to implement this in a system i assume you have some

EL knowledge

Hi,

My easy language coding is very very limited. I can do the basics, like add buy sell conditions to a function, but i simply would not even know where to start in order to create this.

Many thanks.

Hi,

My easy language coding is very very limited. I can do the basics, like add buy sell conditions to a function, but i simply would not even know where to start in order to create this.

Many thanks.

i could put something together but note they will be "virtual" range-bars, not suitable

for viewing purposes.without any anhanced knowledge of el i am not sure if you could

do something with this information as it will need some "fantasy".one could make a

plotpaintbar statement in order to show them but because your price-data is running in a

time-based chart it will look rather stupid.all you need is a input to determine the range

you are willing to use and 4 arrays to store the ohlc values of the rangebars.

once that is done one could call up the values and make simple statements like in

any other timebased chart like

If XClose[1] > XHigh[2] Then

where XClose[1] would be the close of last closed rangebar and XHigh[2] the high of second last closed rangebar; from there you would have a basic to go on.

one can use heiken bars as an alternative

unfortunally they are just as vulnerable to timefactor as any other timeframe based candlestick, ha is simply another way of smoothing which

is seen by many as finding "the perfect" candle within a given time. the idea of rangebars is to eleminate

time from price which ha is not able to do.one can not trade time only price therefore the best way to smooth volatility is eleminate time

I know this is not the ideal solution since you've already purchased TS & Owndata, but why don't you give MultiCharts a try, they're offering a free 30 day trial.

That way, you can have a look at range bars and even play about with easy language strategies and go from there.

Just a thought .......

Cheers

Blu-Ray

mmillar had coded CRB in EL prior to TS's implementation. You are still left with problematic realtime reloading of your third party data. Therefore Blueray's suggestion of using MC is probably a better one.

Posted - 12/08/2005 12:54:31

Constant Range Bar (CRB) Charts

(aka range, universal, change, Kase, Momentum, Nicolellis)

https://www.tradestation.com/Discussions/Topic.aspx?Result=1&Topic_ID=46396

mmillar had coded CRB in EL prior to TS's implementation. You are still left with problematic realtime reloading of your third party data. Therefore Blueray's suggestion of using MC is probably a better one.

Posted - 12/08/2005 12:54:31

Constant Range Bar (CRB) Charts

(aka range, universal, change, Kase, Momentum, Nicolellis)

https://www.tradestation.com/Discussions/Topic.aspx?Result=1&Topic_ID=46396

i do not have acces to that page, i am aware this is not ideal but i know it can be done

because i allready have.