Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

nab999

No Signals On BB System

Hi all,

I have coded the following to get a system to buy a low bolinger band and sell a high bollinger band, but it will not take any trades.

If I change the code to say If close¨of 1 bar ago is less than the lower band and the close is now above the lower band, then buy at market, and visa versa for shorts, then it does take the trades, but I want it to enter as it hits the lower band from below and the upper band from above, not wait till a close.

Here is my code.....

inputs:

Length( 20 ),

NumDevsUp( 2 ),

NumDevsDn( 2 );

variables:

Avg( 0 ),

SDev( 0 ),

LowerBand( 0 ),

UpperBand( 0 ),BollingerPrice(0),TradeLine(0);

BollingerPrice=Close of data1 / close of data2;

TradeLine= Close of data1 / close of data2;

Avg = AverageFC( BollingerPrice, Length ) ;

SDev = StandardDev( BollingerPrice, Length, 1 ) ;

UpperBand = Avg + NumDevsUp * SDev ;

LowerBand = Avg - NumDevsDn * SDev ;

if Tradeline< Lowerband then Buy next bar at Lowerband stop;

if Tradeline> Upperband then Sellshort next bar upperband stop;

if Marketposition>=1 and tradeline<Upperband then sell next bar at upperband stop;

if Marketposition<=-1 and tradeline>Lowerband then buytocover next bar at Lowerband stop;

Many thanks.

Hi Tams,

Yes I already had this enabled for the strategy, but still no trades

do you have this code in an indicator?

if not, change the following code:

to

if Tradeline< Lowerband then plot10(Lowerband, "B-Lowerband");
if Tradeline> Upperband then plot10(upperband, "S-upperband");

set the plot type to a large dot... you should be able to see if your logic is firing.

Hi,

I made the indicator and it is plotting correctly, i.e. a red dot when over the upperband and a green dot when under the lowerband, so it is detecting when the conditions for entry are met, it is just that the system will not take any entries, as described in my first post

Many thanks for your help.

Ind.thumb.gif.b3b84354c1d75c6e1d6e091b6c839880.gif

What you're best off doing is......

Post a chart ( zoomed in ) showing BOTH symbols and timeframes with the indicators on, annotate the chart where there should be an entry and we'll have a better idea of what's what.

Cheers

Blu-Ray

the error is here

just remove the stop below:

p.s.

1. as Blue-Ray suggested, you should super-impose the price bar, BB, and indicators to see if the triggers are firing at the right places.

2. use the code box when posting codes. See the little "mountain" icon at the top of the message window.

3. always acknowledge helps people rendered you. You have 2 previous threads that you have not responded.

Hi,

Attached is a zoomed in chart. the symbols are both stocks Do (data1) and Rig (data2) 5 min timeframe.

The spread of data1-data2 is shown in white in the subraph, with bollinger bands of the spread in the same subgraph.

Above this are the dots for the indi you suggested Tams, which show that it is detecting correctly when the spread is above / below the bollinger bands

I tried to just remove the word Stop from the code as you suggested, but TS will not verify this, it states that there must be Stop, Limit or Shares at the end of the line of code

Many thanks for your help

5aa70f42c065e_CloseUp.thumb.gif.d70b323200e1ceef15a70f7c7c7a570e.gif

Nab999

The reason it's not placing any trades is because of this :

BollingerPrice=Close of data1 / close of data2;

TradeLine= Close of data1 / close of data2;

As you can see in my attached chart..... When it's plotting a signal, the ACTUAL value of it is nowhere near where your data1 price is at.

It's firing at a value of 1.15507 but data1 ( DO ) is running at the 105 price band..... so your code is placing the stop orders, but price is never going to hit them.

attachment.php?attachmentid=14501&stc=1&d=1256295193

Hope this helps

Blu-Ray

Nab999.thumb.png.a9ddc490ac1a36d46d57871258a5d003.png

Hi Blue Ray,

Could you suggest how the code can be modified, so that it will take a trade on data1when the bollinger bands ( based on data1/data2) are hit by the TradeLine (based on data1/data2) please.

Many thanks for your help with this

Hi Blue Ray,

Could you suggest how the code can be modified, so that it will take a trade on data1when the bollinger bands ( based on data1/data2) are hit by the TradeLine (based on data1/data2) please.

Many thanks for your help with this

The easiest way for starters is to just purchase at market..... then you'll be able to see your entries..... then you can refine them from there if needs be. It may occur that you need to define a spot, for example, when the tradeline crosses the bollinger band you might need to reference a price on data1 at the time of the cross then set that as your price to buy/sell.

Here's the code for market :

if Tradeline< Lowerband then Buy next bar at market;
if Tradeline> Upperband then Sellshort next bar at market;

Cheers

Blu-Ray

Hi, many thanks for the continued help.

I can get the system to take trades by just stating if Tradeline<Lowerband then buy next bar at market. I can refine this to a degree by stating if Tradeline[1]<Lowerband and Tradeline>Lowerband then buy next bar at market.

The problem I am having is getting it to buy data1 when the Tradeband is below the Lowerband and them comes up and touches the Lowerband, enter at market, i.e. not have to wait for next bar at market.

you need to define a spot, for example, when the tradeline crosses the bollinger band you might need to reference a price on data1 at the time of the cross then set that as your price to buy/sell.

Could you advise as to how I can do this please.

Again, many thanks for your continued help.

The problem I am having is getting it to buy data1 when the Tradeband is below the Lowerband and them comes up and touches the Lowerband, enter at market, i.e. not have to wait for next bar at market.

Ok try this.

if Tradeline crosses above Lowerband then Buy next bar at market;
if Tradeline crosses below Upperband then Sellshort next bar at market;

Also enable intrabar order generation..... meaning it will buy/sell at market on next tick of bar rather than waiting for a new bar to form.

Hope this helps

Blu-Ray