Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

Trading Oil and Gold

Dinero - interesting chart there. Could explain why I'm getting chopped up on the CL today... price is trying to figure out where to go and tossing me around with it.

:(

I am having the same problem. I have been expecting that huge reversal upward and not getting it. It will come in time whether today or the next few days. I think price is too discounted to stay this low but that is just my intuition.

Not sure if the volume split is also causing a problem or not, just an observation.

attachment.php?attachmentid=16414&stc=1&d=1260291355

5aa70f7c92d2b_12-8-20092.png.434b548fd6703e3c36a4af6938ef9122.png

As a side note, you asked about trying to figure out when price might move more on a day - today is a good example where your predefined support level is giving the market an area to take a breather and regroup. Will it last all day? No idea. Will it carry over till tomorrow? No idea. But perhaps something there for you to consider. I guess the key would be knowing when to trade it (ie the move is coming) and when to just watch (ie price is stalling like today).

Just curious - how does this trendline help you?

Depends how you trade I guess. Oil often will make moves exactly in line with a trendline. This post was mostly just an interesting observation. You'll see a few posts before that oil traded in an obvious channel for a long period and provided many a good trade.

I normally don't trade CL from 10:30 - 12:00 CST (11:30 - 1 EST) because the market usually just chops around during this time. However this week there have been MASSIVE price drops during this time - does anybody other than me think this a bit odd???

I normally don't trade CL from 10:30 - 12:00 CST (11:30 - 1 EST) because the market usually just chops around during this time. However this week there have been MASSIVE price drops during this time - does anybody other than me think this a bit odd???

I guess it's all in how you view things, but I trade oil straight through till 230pm EST. For my trading, I don't see a 'lunch' often in oil.

I guess it's all in how you view things, but I trade oil straight through till 230pm EST. For my trading, I don't see a 'lunch' often in oil.

Maybe I have rationalized this lunch chope zone thing since looking at my stats my bigest and almost all of my losing trades happen between 10:30 - 12:00 CST.

If you and others are making money during those times I must assume that its a mental issue with me.

Here's an example of how trailing a stop can look on the CL:

attachment.php?attachmentid=18568&stc=1&d=1264801146

I had mentioned in the p/l thread that if you decide to trail stops on the CL, you better give them some room to work and here's why.

It would be easy in hindsight to see a winning long that got you 40+ ticks but in reality, had you trailed just about anywhere, you would have made little or even LOST on this trade. Looks can be deceiving, esp after the fact in trading. Don't let your eyes fool you.

5aa70fbbee182_GCLEXAMPLE-1MINCHARTFROM1-29-10.png.7dc19b92eaa7c1d35f8ef9547383174a.png

To show a different perspective, the last three days of oil shown on the last MP graphic on the right is distributed rather evenly despite closing near the lows. I have yet to prepare for Monday morning but my initial glance at this shows a possibility for a a move up and pa willing a good short. I usually enter the day with 2 fundamental trades I am looking for, again I have not done my homework yet but I may be watching for it. I will see if I can post something

Right as I posted I realized I posted a MP chart in the Candlestick Corner, is that ok? Otherwise it could be moved to the pl thread.

mp.thumb.PNG.9f38dacfe1c427cf7d9b7c9cf3d8d872.PNG

Edited by bathrobe
Mistake

2/10/2010

In case anyone was interested in seeing what the people who trade oil on fundamentals use for their analysis, I attached a pdf of a what the big oil and gas guys I know are looking at. Its about $11,000 minimum to subscribe to this for one year. I don't use it in my trading right now but I thought it was interesting to go through and consider.

schork-TSR-20100210.pdf

2/10/2010

In case anyone was interested in seeing what the people who trade oil on fundamentals use for their analysis, I attached a pdf of a what the big oil and gas guys I know are looking at. Its about $11,000 minimum to subscribe to this for one year. I don't use it in my trading right now but I thought it was interesting to go through and consider.

You can't be serious?

Goldman sends me open interest reports for all commodities/currencies/fixed income/etc weekly for free - and it has a lot more data then smiley faces and weather predictions.

I attached a pdf of a what the big oil and gas guys I know are looking at. Its about $11,000 minimum to subscribe to this for one year.

Interesting document, Dinero, thanks for sharing.

11k/year? Well its nice to know that the big guys are even dumber than us pikers.

Best Wishes,

Thales

2/10/2010

Gartman's analysis is usually spot on (at least when I used to look at it), it is around $400/year

You can't be serious?

Goldman sends me open interest reports for all commodities/currencies/fixed income/etc weekly for free - and it has a lot more data then smiley faces and weather predictions.

Ahh, I see I mis-spoke. Gotta check the details better before I post. That would be 10,500 for 5 licenses. My mistakel So more like $2,100 per person. Still way to expensive obviously. I wasn't all that impressed myself. They are just using it from a business perspective. They aren't traders.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19239&stc=1&d=1266026626

5aa70fcfbf41a_SNAG-2-12-201000.png.ef82d1392e9f2d9e194222923eca8422.png

Edited by Dinerotrader

Perhaps it's too long gone, but I would love to revive this thread again :-) Any takers?

Here's my current chart setup on the 60m. My plan was to long 111, but with the big drop down with heavy momentum and going all the way down 30 ticks below the area on my chart, I was a little bit afraid to go long after we came back above 111. I tried a short as the pictures show, but was fished before the move down... tested yesterday's high to the tick, and I was unsure of the direction at that point.

cl.thumb.PNG.73d1fa56034b999ae387727700edce9e.PNG

cl2.thumb.PNG.03c73545704e28ac5e51b976dec767ce.PNG

cl3.thumb.PNG.b5a2517ee12ff81803e17e3dc2c45498.PNG

Perhaps it's too long gone, but I would love to revive this thread again :-) Any takers?

Here's my current chart setup on the 60m. My plan was to long 111, but with the big drop down with heavy momentum and going all the way down 30 ticks below the area on my chart, I was a little bit afraid to go long after we came back above 111. I tried a short as the pictures show, but was fished before the move down... tested yesterday's high to the tick, and I was unsure of the direction at that point.

Maybe it's better that crude go away in fall.down...his price was further like some year ago that arrived to 140$ you had a good support near 110..maybe..you used stop.loss too much tight ,for a chart set up 60 m ....try to 15 m in crude,itìs a bit cardio-danger,but you can scalp it ;) better.

Maybe it's better that crude go away in fall.down...his price was further like some year ago that arrived to 140$ you had a good support near 110..maybe..you used stop.loss too much tight ,for a chart set up 60 m ....try to 15 m in crude,itìs a bit cardio-danger,but you can scalp it ;) better.

I use a 1 minute chart for entry, 5 for "2 day" view, and have 15m, 60m, and 240m up for larger views, I just showed the 60m because it gives a nice view of the last couple of weeks.

I use a 1 minute chart for entry, 5 for "2 day" view, and have 15m, 60m, and 240m up for larger views, I just showed the 60m because it gives a nice view of the last couple of weeks.

oh ,maybe i misrepresent,i understand that you used ever 60m chart for trade oil,yes infact to 60m you have a better view to the whole period ,i used ever 4h 1d for look better,not only for oil,and effectively the visual of the whole trend is better.wow 1m chart for oil....is like go on russian mountain!:)

XAU/USD DAILY as of Wednesday, 27 February, 2013

A Daily white body has formed (because prices closed higher than they opened).

For the past 10 Daily candlestick bars as of 26/02/13, there are 5 white candles versus 5 black candles.

For the past 50 Daily candlestick bars as of 26/02/13, there are 25 white candles versus 25 black candles.

Three Daily white candles has formed during the last three Daily bars. Although these candles were not big enough to create three Daily white soldiers, the steady upward pattern is bullish.

Intraday trade: Long Gold with target at: 1624.20 and stop loss at 1579.30

gold-candle-d.thumb.png.cba2481e7cc7a78e7b95cdfee1467ca5.png