Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

strtedat22

Windows 7 from Vista

if it ain't broke... why fix it?

Agreed,

I did a little research and the boot time is a lot shorter than vista and 7s performance is a lot better. I guess i'm looking to get out of Vista.

strtedat22

From my read, Win7 is basically an enhanced version of Vista. Microsoft collected a lot of data on Vista, and make improvement on Vista to come out with Win 7.

Pretty much like Window 2000 to Window XP.

So my take is that each individual will have to decide if the improvement is worth the money and efforts.

Assuming Win7 becomes the next standard (like XP) I'll eventually upgrade all the computers to Win7. I did not upgrade any to Vista and glad now that I didn't.

I typically just get new computers when upgrading the OS. So once Win7 passes the tests (maybe even wait till service pack 1) then I'll look at doing the upgrades.

Im assuming the performance will be better with windows 7 if you have vista on your trading desktop. Is anyone upgrading? I have vista on my laptop and im thinking about upgrading.

strtedat22

I wouldn't go out and buy it for my current system (running vista), but I would be completely content with getting Win7 on a new PC.

I'm running windows 7. Hated Vista. W7 is a great improvement in both speed and less annoyance. Your old firewall does not work with W7 and there are no new ones that I have found, that do so am using W7 native firewall so far.

I'm running windows 7. Hated Vista. W7 is a great improvement in both speed and less annoyance. Your old firewall does not work with W7 and there are no new ones that I have found, that do so am using W7 native firewall so far.

Comodo Firewall/Internet Security apparently works with Windows 7, though Comodo does not officially support Windows 7 yet.

Windows7 is not a Vista upgrade. Win7 fast as XP and way faster than Vista.

I used Vista for couple of years since it was in Beta... until Win7 RC1 half a year ago and release a month ago.

And I can tell from my personal experience. Win7 is lot faster than Vista. Only stubborn and stupid may want to keep his trading machine (and generally speaking any machine - as Win7 same good looking as Vista but faster) under Vista...

Not meant to be rude. Just operating logical facts...

If you're on Vista, definitely upgrade, Windows 7 is miles ahead. I use it now on all 'new' machines (not the main trading/testing one yet). It is very fast, installs updates without requiring reboots (huge improvement for a trading machine), supports lots of hardware out of the box and is generally pleasant all round - the antithesis of Vista.

If you're on XP, wait til the masses get Windows 7 and see what issues crop up in the first 3 to 6.

There is no question. If you have vista you should go to W7. You WILL like it.

Hell, I still run xp on all my machines and I liked it ... even the betas.

If you have XP and like it then you might not want to move. Changes to the file manager and some of the security stuff will be a pain until you get used to them. Personally I've got a copy of W7 and legit keys but I'm going to keep using XP for my trading simply because I'm so used to it - if I had vista I'd change in a minute.

From what I've read, Win7 will not be offered as an upgrade to XP. I avoided Vista. I'm probably going to upgrade my hardware in a year, so will wait to change OS then.

Actually, if TS ever runs on Linux, Microfuzzy is history.