Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

kyle

Anyone Have Any Experience With OANDA?

Ive heard alot of good things about OANDA and wondered if anyone has an account with them. Im looking to open a forex account and Im looking at many brokers right now... seems everyone has a bad opinion on every forex broker out there.

How is OANDA?

Ive heard alot of good things about OANDA and wondered if anyone has an account with them. Im looking to open a forex account and Im looking at many brokers right now... seems everyone has a bad opinion on every forex broker out there.

How is OANDA?

Kyle,

check out this site if you're still researching for forex brokers and about brokers:

The NDD Forum - Savvy Traders Want to Know - Powered by vBulletin

I got my dose of reality reading this stuff. We should open a thread on this one as well for people who are interested in trading forex.

My intention was not to promote or demote anyone, but keep the truth about brokers and how they operate. This is a controversial topic I know, but it needs to be addressed. The closest term to the way some of these brokers operate are similar to "bucket shops" mentioned in "Reminiscences of a Stock Operator". We're here to protect traders, not slandering anyone else. So I suggest keeping a close watch on the posts is all, possibly by not mentioning brokers by name.

Not that it matters anymore, but for the record, I can vouch for Oanda. They're very good and fair, with minimal "stop-hunts," and good real-time support if you ever need it. Just watch that spread around news intervals. And don't expect any fancy graphing features with their platform (I don't use many price aids anymore anyway). Although they officially say that they don't stop hunt, the increased spread around news intervals often acts the same way. I would be happy to recommend them as a decent forex broker. I've been using them for over a year.

Not that it matters anymore, but for the record, I can vouch for Oanda. They're very good and fair, with minimal "stop-hunts," and good real-time support if you ever need it. Just watch that spread around news intervals. And don't expect any fancy graphing features with their platform (I don't use many price aids anymore anyway). Although they officially say that they don't stop hunt, the increased spread around news intervals often acts the same way. I would be happy to recommend them as a decent forex broker. I've been using them for over a year.

I agree, I personally use Oanda, and it's good enough to do what I use it for, but like Torero mentioned, I would be leaning more towards calling them the lesser of the evils rather than the best thing since sliced bread. Not knocking them or any other broker, but my advice is to check a few out with a small deposit and see what fits you the best. Just watch out for the widened spreads around news time with oanda, it can trigger a stop. Hope that helped.

Overall, I quite like Oanda:

PROS:

1. No software to download - I can trade from any PC

2. Interface is simple

3. Seem to be very ethical and more financially sound than other shops

4. Can trade Gold and Silver (very risky!!!)

CONS:

1. Charting is basic with few indicators (enough though for real Forex traders :D )

2. No trailing stops

3. Spreads widen during news

I agree, I personally use Oanda, and it's good enough to do what I use it for, but like Torero mentioned, I would be leaning more towards calling them the lesser of the evils rather than the best thing since sliced bread. Not knocking them or any other broker, but my advice is to check a few out with a small deposit and see what fits you the best. Just watch out for the widened spreads around news time with oanda, it can trigger a stop. Hope that helped.

I still stand by this statement....not too bad, but hey nothing's perfect.

OANDA had no problems at all. Trades are always quick to fill, never gotten a requote, and there are no problems withdrawing funds. No slippage, excellent customer service, Good spread, good lot size etc are impressive.