Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Tasuki

Tradestation warning

Dear Traders Lab folks,

Just a warning for those of you that use Tradestation. Last night I tried to upgrade my TS from build 2525 to build 2612. The process aborted, and crashed my computer so hard that their technicians are insisting that the only way to fix it is to reinstall XP (thereby wiping out everything else on my computer!).

To make matters worse, the techs say that their finding this error more and more frequently, so it appears that there's something drastically wrong with this new build, 2612. They don't understand why this occurs, and apparently it doesn't happen all the time, but only rarely, but often enough that they're getting complaints about it every day. Supposedly, Easylanguage files are overwriting Registry files that are unconnected to Tradestation. Now THAT's a serious error!

My strong suggestion is that you avoid this build, and wait for the next one.

Tasuki

There is another lesson to be learned here and that is to back up your pc using something like Acronis True Image. In the event that the pc get an error similar to that which you have then you can restore your pc exactly to how it was at the last incremental back up. I do this quite regularly and I am glad I did as I did need to once restore my pc which took about 1 hour. The alternative would have been hours and hours of reloading software, custom indicators as well as lost files that I could never recover.

Paul

Thanks. Good to know. I did upgrade already, yesterday I think it was, whenever it first became available. Thankfully nothing happened. Does that mean I'm in the clear? Either way, I back up my computer often.

Many thanks for the info and the reminder for backup trader333

After I read the thread I copied my backups to my external USB drive, perhaps a habit I should form.

Tasuki I have installed the new ver 8.6 B.2612, the installation was not a problem and it copied the evnivronment (destops and workspaces) from the previous version. So far I had once error after login apart from that its working fine, I still have the annoying retruency error on login

I use an simple but dedicated intel core2quad & XP rig to use tradestation on

As I only use this machine for TS, all I want to do is shutdown after closedown of TS

But with ver 8.6 I have to wait till all TS Services are flush from the memory or it will just ignore the shutdown request & keeps running.

I believe XP is still the best platform to run Dedicated-Tradestation on, Ofcourse minus the PreInstall crap which comes on all Microsoft Operating systems

Rumours that Vista comes Pre-loaded with over 100 services, components, etc has kept me away from ever trying it out professionally

For such emergency I always have handy on my USB stick the last Service Pack run on the specific machine & relevant OS

Re running the SP, I presume this would over-write most part of your registry pertaining to the operating system & hence maybe able to restore the damage part.

Regards Minoo

Note the latest XP Service Pack is version 3, one can use winver command to find out which ver they are running currently

Dear Traders Lab folks,

Just a warning for those of you that use Tradestation. Last night I tried to upgrade my TS from build 2525 to build 2612. The process aborted, and crashed my computer so hard that their technicians are insisting that the only way to fix it is to reinstall XP (thereby wiping out everything else on my computer!).

I installed it this morning without a hitch running XP-PRO SP3

the only way to fix it is to reinstall XP (thereby wiping out everything else on my computer!).

What else IS there on the computer?

Seriously.

Computer are cheap. I sit in front of two - and one is reserved for trading. No TS here (I currently use NInja), but there is NO Reason to have anything else on a trading system.

If you can not afford 2 computers (whow) or a replacable hard drive (good enough - just swap out hard drives) then get a virtualization platform and trade from a virtual instance.

There is NO excuse for running something as important and sensitive as trading shared with a ton of other software.

Not said TS did not do something bad, but you should trade on a more segregated level.

;) Tomorrow is my upgrade day, starting to wipe my computers and install the RTM version of Windows 7 Enterprise for trading ;)

Seriously.

Computer are cheap. I sit in front of two - and one is reserved for trading. No TS here (I currently use NInja), but there is NO Reason to have anything else on a trading system.

If you can not afford 2 computers (whow) or a replacable hard drive (good enough - just swap out hard drives) then get a virtualization platform and trade from a virtual instance.

There is NO excuse for running something as important and sensitive as trading shared with a ton of other software.

Not said TS did not do something bad, but you should trade on a more segregated level.

;) Tomorrow is my upgrade day, starting to wipe my computers and install the RTM version of Windows 7 Enterprise for trading ;)

Just because YOU wouldn't do something, does not mean there is NO reason for someone else to do something.

Maybe this is pertinent? I've had nothing but trouble with TradeStation since I've been with them. The primary reason I joined was for the $.01/share stock trades, but as for futures, I do not see an advantage to having them over anyone else. Plus you pay for data (monthly)! I closed my futures account last month and will be closing the equities account fairly soon.

Conclusion: I don't like them :)

And also, from a former computer tech: back up your data.

Seriously.

you are right and you are wrong.for those among us who trade

for a living i would recommend the same if its your living.

but not all of us are in that lucky position, some trade afterhours some

trade as a "hobby" in the hope one day it will/can

become more serius; but untill that time i do not see why i couldnt

use this same computer for other concernes as well.that does not mean

i donwload unlimited software i do limit it because i am aware of the

possible isues

Just because YOU wouldn't do something, does not mean there is NO reason for someone else to do something.

And then come whining when something goes back and someone is forced to use the common sense approach and making a backup?

Yeah. Maybe the poster is a masochist and likes a bad system for trading. Definitely a reason to use the approach he does.

And then come whining when something goes back and someone is forced to use the common sense approach and making a backup?

Yeah. Maybe the poster is a masochist and likes a bad system for trading. Definitely a reason to use the approach he does.

I stand corrected. We all should follow your advise and do what you do as you are the only one who know what's the best and correct way of doing things. We are so happy to have someone as wise and smart as you join this forum.

I stand corrected. We all should follow your advise and do what you do as you are the only one who know what's the best and correct way of doing things. We are so happy to have someone as wise and smart as you join this forum.

You could just realize that you are not the only one using a computer on the planet (which WOULD require you using your brain, incidentally) and that a lot of stuff is common sense and accepted good practices.

Among them are not running crapstuff no important computers (i.e. isolating important applications on separate computers) and doing backups and having desaster recovery scenarios.

Even many good trader books talk about it.

For example... the OP obviously does not care about his money and would possibly gladly come back here whining about loosing funds when he is in a bad position and the power goes out. Others have a laptop with wireless (as in: UMTP / mobile phone based) internet as backup. Even others really do not care too much because their trading platform sits in a data center with so many redundant systems for power supply and internet connectivity that broken connections are really a rare incident. But still have backup plans.

THis is not me playing smarts (it is you demonstrating ignorance though), it is common sense and globally accepted practices. For some trading is important and we use real money, so protecting this money is - important.

The OP obviously falls into the category of "lets ignore common sense and all the warnings about computers being unreliable and then go on and whine about how bad the world treats me".

I like it. Mind you the first update wiped my boot block/MBR. Fortunately I knew what had happened (way to long with PC's) and a couple of commands typed in at the recovery console and I was up up and away again.

NetTecture, to address all of your posts in this thread, the OP never mentioned that there was anything else on his computer besides trading software or other tools used for trading. It is obvious that his purpose in creating this thread was to give people advance warning of instability with a new version of TS. For you to say that the OP "obviously does not care about his money" and to insinuate that he is whining is baseless and immature at best. This isn't ET where an acceptable post is made by taking your dick out slapping it on your keyboard a few times. Please take your own advice and use your brain next time you decide to make a post here.

Edited by diablo272

I like it. Mind you the first update wiped my boot block/MBR. Fortunately I knew what had happened (way to long with PC's) and a couple of commands typed in at the recovery console and I was up up and away again.

Well, nice. I delayed the install for some days ;) Happens Server R2 is out, and that has the ability to inject drivers during a Win7 install cycle (FINALLY) without the drivers being part of the WIM package.

;) Time to upgrade my WDS first.

I have been with TradeStation it seems like forever - and have never had an upgrade problem of any kind.

I also agree that computers are cheap and unless someone is not serious about their trading there is no reason not to have separate PC's for business and other needs.

But I understand others may feel differently though.

My TS version 2612 quit working on XP. Removed and reinstalled 4 times with no luck. I had to take almost everything off of my laptop so nothing was left but XP. Then I tried again and it worked.

Then I foolishly upgraded to 2696. Discovered a lot of bugs in that version and went back to version 2612.

I have had no problems running on Vista 64 sp 1. But I stripped and finetuned Vista before I installed TS on it.

I am going to move away from TS. It is an easy to use platform but I need something different.

My TS version 2612 quit working on XP. Removed and reinstalled 4 times with no luck. I had to take almost everything off of my laptop so nothing was left but XP. Then I tried again and it worked.

Then I foolishly upgraded to 2696. Discovered a lot of bugs in that version and went back to version 2612.

I have had no problems running on Vista 64 sp 1. But I stripped and finetuned Vista before I installed TS on it.

I am going to move away from TS. It is an easy to use platform but I need something different.

If you like TS and/or use easy language you can take a look at multicharts. Basically a TS clone, but improved upon many features, especially being able to use your own data feed.

I have used TS for 10 years, and aside from a few corrupted work files, have had no real problems. Trade mostly commodity futures like metals, grains, interest rates. Fills seem pretty good, but I'm a swing trader so saving the very last tick isn't critical.