Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

mjackson

Active trader

hey mj

you know i usually stick to STOCKS AND COMMODITIES magazine, and FUTURES magazine as well. however, last friday i stopped into BOOKS-A-MILLION and picked up an issue of ACTIVE TRADER at the stand there.

frankly, i was impressed! not enough to buy it, mind you, because after the chocolate cheesecake and umpteen cups of joe, i was strapped, with just enough cash to pay the bridge toll and get home. anyway, most of the articles i read were first rate. one, by jay kappel, was incredibly interesting and potentially profitable. it showed ...well, itz the kind of thing hirsch does, with his almanac; that is, it showed the seasonality of the dow index. that "seasonality" being the first three days of the month, the three middle days - being the 10th, 11th, 12th, and the last three days of the month. he also stated that three days prior to and after a legal holiday offer good trading on the dow as well.

the reasoning, he sez, is that ira's generally get deposited at the beginning and the middle of the month, and the last few days of the month are also strong buying due to window dressing and such by mutual funds, etc. now if you had just gone long the dow, via ym, ddm or whatever, during those days, over a period of ...well, since the '80's, when ira's first began, you would have made a pile of money (i cannot write the percent because it will look too insane), but if you had gone the other way, that is, trading all the other days of the month - but not the ones just mentioned, you would have been in the hole a few thousand.

am sorry, i can't be more specific, but i will buy that issue or that article off the 'net, because i am thinking of combining going long on those days on the dow (not just blindly, mind you, but using tech. analysis, candles, etc.), but also getting the code from an article i read in march's issue of TSAC, called USING PRICE EXTREME VALUES, which was written by Vocnjuk Vladimir Vladimirovich (yeah, i'm thinking he's not irish.). his article begins on the very last page of TSAC, and the borders he constructed are used in this way: if two bars or candles fall above them, then you sell. but i will be concentrating on the buy side, assuming there isn't major bad news or a sell off, and i will be buying when two or more candles fall below his constructs. you know i'm not talking about buying blindly, but itz good to know on what days there will be increased buying & liquidity.

this is probably way more information than you require, but to answer the question about ACTIVE TRADER magazine, just check out their march issue, and i think you'll be impressed as well. there was another article by bittman (james b.) about how to use the VIX, which was equally informative. you know, bittman won the Traders Library Hall of Fame Award for 2003, so he probably knows a little.

you know i don't know if it was just that particular issue, or if they always produce an excellent product, but they have my vote.

hope this helps

superfec