Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

synonym

A True Composite Symbol for Multicharts.

The problem is the internals of NT are quite sophisticated also most are exposed through the API. This means there is lots of 'calls' to learn. The architecture might be a bit challenging to a non programmer. Having said that you can program it in a variety of languages! It also has a formula language that is quite powerful in it's own right but simpler.

I am not sure how composites are constructed.....it might be as simple as pointing at a watch list.

I hope I am not leading you astray by suggesting it! You could always shoot them an email, they also have (or used to) a months trial. Though you might end up wasting a month to discover that it was too complex or that you just didn't like it.

Just from what the little you've said, it sounds like neoticker may well not be for me. I really need to be spending the time on background work for my trading rather than on learning a new system.

Another option would be Amibroker. Sounds like it can do all that Neoticker does with regards to creating custom spread/index symbols, and then being able to bring the software's complete functionality to bear on them. I downloaded a trial well over a year ago and liked it. But, in order to much at all, involved a fair bit of coding...so not for me. I checked their site yesterday though and it has an AFL wizard, which i think might be a new feature, which may well have done away with much of the need to code. Have either of you used Ami recently?

Yet another option would be to find a piece of software, a data dowloader/mainipulator of somekind, which i could bolt onto MC (maybe through excel). I could then set it up to create the custom spreads for me and feed them into MC. Once set up this could then do the work in the background for me. Maybe that's the way...the main issues i can foresee with that might be the creation of the historic data for my custom spreads. Plus, I've never done this kind of thing before and don't know if it's messy (at the MC end) and means a lot of data maintenance work (which i could well do without). Is this something either of you have any experience of?

Just out of interest do you have a fairly clear set of requirements what you are trying to do or will you likely be doing a lot of ongoing research and general messing around? That might make a difference. If you can get what you need implemented done particularly easily in one application it might not mater so much to you that general 'messing' is a bit more complex.

I have tried Ami some while ago, but there where a couple of specific things it wouldn't do that I required for what I was trying to implement. For that reason I did not use it for long. I think one was as stupid as a particular plot/visualisation that I needed. Can't remember exactly but while it was seemingly trivial it was a big hurdle to implementing what I wanted at the time. I also seem to recall that there where a couple of things that I didn't like about how it stored data. For the price though a fine package.

I hope it doesn't sound like I am trying to steer you towards Neoticker (in all its complexity!) but it seems to me it might do what you want 'out of the box'. For example it can even generate historical composites based on historical tick data of each constituent. Take a look at thier blog NeoTicker Blog | TickQuest | providing the latest technical analysis technologies if you drill down into recent entries it seems creating the composite is as simple as populating a list. If you search back, 'breadth' indicators are one of Laurences pet favourites and he has written several pieces on them. Regardless of whether Neo is appropriate for your requirements it would probably be an interesting read for you. :)

Im talking myself into dusting it off :)

I hope it doesn't sound like I am trying to steer you towards Neoticker (in all its complexity!) but it seems to me it might do what you want 'out of the box'. For example it can even generate historical composites based on historical tick data of each constituent. Take a look at thier blog NeoTicker Blog | TickQuest | providing the latest technical analysis technologies if you drill down into recent entries it seems creating the composite is as simple as populating a list. If you search back, 'breadth' indicators are one of Laurences pet favourites and he has written several pieces on them. Regardless of whether Neo is appropriate for your requirements it would probably be an interesting read for you. :)

Very true. Relatively straightforward analysis of spreads is going to be the main thing i'm wanting to do. And i have MC for other stuff i might want to do. If Neoticker can do this in a plug and play fashion, then it might be the best way forwards for me. I'll have to check it out and have a serious think. Having MC sat there i would ideally like to be able to use that and save the cash! :)

I've asked Amibroker about what i want to do, and got two useful replies. Their customer service is very good in my experience.

I was told that their AFL wizard allows you to create SCAN & BACKTEST formulas. Video:Preview. Plus, there is now a drag&drop interface for indicators that you can use without coding. But i was told that for composite symbol creation, i'll need some basic (but pretty easy concepts) AFL knowledge. So I need to look into further too.

Im talking myself into dusting it off :)

:o

If it is 'simple' spreads that you are after chances are MC will be adequate for your needs. Devil is in the detail of course, do you need watch lists of composites and that sort of thing for example.

The devil is always in the detail as you say! Exactly, i'll need to be able to have significant numbers of symbols in order to look for traded candidates. Whatever system i end up with, it needs to have enough capacity and functionality with as little fuss re setup and maintanence as possible. Lots to look into and consider. I'll let you know how i get on.

Have a good weekend.

Syn

Bear in mind, backtesting is not REAL.

At least not "realistic" in 99% on the software on the market today.

The only way to make a "real" test is if the software can stream the data (with bid/ask) as if in real time.

It seems MultiCharts 5.5 Beta belongs to 1% of the software on the market since 5.5 version aready has bid/ask backtesting and bar magnifier!:)

In practice it means your backtester buys on asks and sells on bids. Plus it does it on tick by tick level. It is the same like IOG but on the history or in other words a fast replay of real-time data.

attachment.php?attachmentid=12356&stc=1&d=1248197261

backtester.PNG.5df751fd7e632083ccb35926235fad1c.PNG

see answer from prev post...

p.s.

"Workable results" does not suggest "accurate/dependable/reliable/repeatable results".

With the current technology, backtesting cannot give you "accurate results".

Understanding the mechanics of "backtesting" can help you to "work" with the results you get.

Hi Tams

sorry for the delay in my reply. I've had some unavoidable distractions - not least my lack of experience with MC - which you've probably seen on the MC support forum! However, i have now had time to try build a simple strategy (as a test) on the spread_d1d2 indicator. I can add indicators onto the indicator, but the trouble comes when you try and add signals it to (in order to build the strategy). The signals default to the underlying symbols, and i cannot find a way to make them apply to the spread_d1d2 indicator instead.

You mentioned that you should be able to do this in order to backtest. Is there something i am missing?

I'd really appreciate you help.

Cheers

Syn

I am trying to amend a signal, in this case the MovAve Cross LE, to base it upon the spread_d1d2 indicator instead of a symbol price. I've got so far and still trying as it isn't working yet. Am i trying to do something that is fundamentally not right?

Please see attached jpeg for code. It compiles at least...which i was quite pleased with - :o

5aa70f060686b_MACrossTest.jpg.2483eee5d05ba2fc9affdb4c724ee38f.jpg

I think i might have found my answer. Is it because spread_d1d2 is not an input? And if so, can you create custom inputs in MC? I've got a horrid feeling you can't...

Anyone any ideas or thoughts?

try this...

write out your logic one thought at a time,

write out your thoughts one action at a time,

write out your actions one line at a time,

you should be able to figure your way out.

why do you have 2 condition1?

Hi Tams

just because i simply copied the code from the preloaded MovAve Cross LE signal, and that's the code. That signal works on a normal symbol, but not on a the spread_d1d2 indicator.

Syn

try this...

write out your logic one thought at a time,

write out your thoughts one action at a time,

write out your actions one line at a time,

you should be able to figure your way out.

I'd be happy to spend the time doing this, if i knew that MC would actually backtest treating the spread_d1d2 indicator as a standard symbol. You very kindly told me how to create the indicator and said that it can be used as mentioned above. At the same time (well before actually), i sent an enquiry by email to MC and they said you could create the spread indicator and apply indicators to it (which i've done, with your help) but they say that you cannot apply a strategy to it. :(

Given this, i was just trying a quick and dirty way of doing it to see if i can get it to work in principle. If i could then i'd planned to put the time in learn how to code properly and start testing my ideas.

At the moment, it looks to me like the problem is that the spread_d1d2 is not recognised as an input...and not the duplication point that you have highlighted probably needs looking at too.

I've made the following changes. See jpegs. But it's still applies itself to one of the underlying symbols. I think the problem might be the input CurrentBar - what to do next...no ideas at the moment.

5aa70f060a15d_MACrossTest.jpg.4a62f0d5e7ede292f4a9457a0dddd6c3.jpg

5aa70f060da54_MACrossTest2.jpg.40b3b7b14e45db4282ebd1a5e21aa0d8.jpg

learn to walk... then run.

you can cover more distance, faster.

Look for this doc

Getting Started with EasyLanguage

Online Tutorials

then review this post:

http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/f56/true-composite-symbol-multicharts-6372.html#post71668

Thanks Tams. What you say is very true and usually i am more than happy to do the legwork, as i want to understand the basis of what i am doing...it gives so much more insight. It's just that in this instance i really don't know if i can do what i want to do and so i don't know if i'd be wasting my time trying to acheive the impossible.

I'd be intrigued to know if you have found a way to do this successfully, as MC can't tell me how to, they say MC gold cannot do this and that i'll have to wait for the next version to come out at the end of the summer...and pay for the upgrade too.

I'm frustrated as this is the one thing i want to use MC for and i'm told it can't do it, If that's right then maybe i have to look at manipulating the data prior to putting it into MC, but there are so many drawbacks to doing this, i think i might be better off finding another way...