Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

Any P90x'ers on Board?

While I'm sure there's holes in p90x and Insanity for that matter, it is something (which is better than nothing). I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a guru on this by any stretch, so I kinda go w/ what works for me and what looks like something I could do regularly.

By doing p90x and now doing Insanity, there's a few things that I've enjoyed:

1) Doing some body weight only exercises (no weights, etc.)

2) Stretching

I'm not sure what will be after Insanity, but I would like to see more info on what zdo posted.

bf,

Yes, Scott Sonnon is the man behind Circular Strength Training. He has met his own challenges with explorations to the training methods of east, west, south, and north. See

Scott Sonnon, The Flow Coach Blog Archive Breaking the Code on your Physical Mastery

The three wings of CST are

1. IntuFlow,

2 the conditioning workout (Clubbells, body weight, or one’s sport or specialty) and

3 Prasara/Yang yoga

These three combined are labeled Circular Strength Training.

>The IntuFlow wing starts at full body JOINT mobility and sophisticates from range to circles to infinities to clovers to waves. Joint mobility trumps flexibility any day period!

See examples from zHeath (a more central nervous system oriented spinoff of IntuFlow – good stuff but is ‘one winged’ imo) Pre and Post Z-Health Shoulder Range of Motion Testimonial and begin to dig: Mobility vs Flexibility - is there a difference?

>The middle wing: (by the book is) clubbell (and bodyweight) training

Unlike conventional weight-lifting of kettlebells, dumbbells and barbells where you must increase the weight of the implement in order to increase the force production, the Clubbell®® is swung. Swinging weight increases torque. Increasing torque increases force production. Conventional weight lifting is restricted to linear increases of force with increased weight added. Clubbell®® training increases exponentially: swinging them twice as fast produces four times the torque. Superior force production means superior strength conditioning in a fraction of the time and without the litany of injuries associated with conventional weight training.

Finally, and most importantly, conventional weight training can only be moved in two planes. This limited range of motion attempts to isolate particular muscles. Isolation, however, is a myth long since debunked. The body is composed of an interconnected myofascial web: a double-bag system. The "inner bag" contains bone and cartilage, and where it 'cling wraps' the bone it's called "periosteum," and over the joints, it's called "joint capsule." The "outer bag" contains an electric jelly we refer to as "muscle" and covering it we call it "fascia" (and other names, but let's keep this simple.) Where that outer bag is tacked down to the inner bag, we call those "muscle attachments" or "insertion points." You see, our bones and joints 'float' in a sea of continuous tension, and our bones act as compressive struts pushing outwards while this 'web' (this double-bag system) pulls inward in a unique balance which Buckminster Fuller named "Tensegrity" (or "integrity of tension.") Clubbell®® training is tri-planar: moving through the sagittal, coronal and frontal planes.

By moving tri-planar, the Clubbell®® strengthens the myofascial chains across their full range of motion. This increases soft tissue elasticity rather than traumatizing it like the two dimensional movements of conventional weight-lifting. Soft tissue elasticity diminishes as we age and is primarily responsible for most injuries for athletes and the aging: which is why these apparently disparate groups are the Clubbell®®'s largest advocates. Moving in three dimension washing the joint capsules with nutrition and lubrication, breaks up fascial adhesions, smoothes off boney profiles (abating osteoarthritis), and distracts the bones (abating osteoporosis). Conventional weight-lifting equipment cannot do this, nor would I endorse attempting to swing kettlebells, dumbbells or barbells as substitutes for Clubbell®®s, since the Clubbell®® with its protective outer coating and smooth profile was specifically designed for swinging around the body. Swinging kettlebells, barbells, and dumbbells proves disastrous to one's property and one's body.

Yes, you see the obvious development of the arms, shoulders, upper back and chest of Clubbell®® training enthusiasts. However, the most misunderstood difference between Circular Strength Training® and conventional weight-lifting is that the Clubbell®® is specifically designed to connect the superior force production of torque to one's core. The Clubbell®® is truly a mere extension of the body. Every exercise in the CST repertoire is a "core activation" exercise, which is why you see such incredibly powerful abs, obliques and strong lower backs of Clubbell®® users. Furthermore, all exercises are full bodily intensive: creating incredibly powerful glutes, hams, quads and calves from the leg drive.

>The third wing is Presara Yoga Prasara Yoga. It is a hard yang body weight 'yoga' that functions to compensate for temporary and chronic imbalances like the pitcher or tennis player’s ‘big’ arm, etc. etc.

Technically, a trigger point is a fascial distortion that has a specific referral pattern. This referral pattern could be as simple as pain down a fascial meridian or it could be as complex as a reactive pattern causing neuromuscular inhibition....

There is a model for properly addressing trigger points, and the tenants of Prasara honor that model. First is the application of ischemic pressure. This helps change the pressure of the fluids within the tissue. Second is the strengthening of the tissue. Attention should be paid to three aspects of muscle action: concentric, isometric and eccentric. The third and last stage is tissue lengthening. This is the mobility phase.

Summary: All the truisms of the ‘system’ go way beyond the obvious - like "More is not better, better is better" turns out to have practical applicable theoretically sound DEPTH.

Several themes run through all three wings of CST.

1)One is (again) the importance of myofacsial tensegrity. Specific to myofascial work, my understanding (to date) is that the Dynamic Joint work (Intu-Flow, etc) is inner bag focused, the ‘hard’ Yoga (Prasara, FlowFit, etc) is outer bag focused, and the Clubbell athletics integrates both inner and outer bags. These three combined are labeled Circular Strength Training.

2 Another of them is sophisticated breath... Here is some text about one of the issues CST breathing addresses - performance / fear issues (hello many traders!)

The B.A.R. or the Survival Arousal Syndrome as its known in psychophysiology is the hard-wired reflex to a degree of intensity of surprise or perceived danger.

Fear-Reactivity is the myofascial (muscular and connective tissue) pattern of movement/tension which becomes conditioned through repeated bracing, flinching, clenching and flailing.

The SAS is an internal event, F-R is an external event. You can become desensitized to a particular intensity level of surprise or danger through certain breathing exercises, emotional control and mental toughness so that you do not elicit fear-reactivity. But whenever your threshold crests over the intensity level you've prepared to address, fear-reactivity will happen.

The more that you allow specific patterns of fear-reactivity to be repeated, the stronger they become, the faster they elicit and the harder to recover from.

Fear-reactivity also lingers after the danger/surprise passes. The more that you allow those patterns to be conditioned, the more permanent they become, encasing you in an armored echo of fear.

Beyond recovery of ‘functions’, the breath work moves on to high performance breathing techniques.

Other themes are

3) moving in 6 degrees of freedom

4) how ‘jammed’ joints create weakness and the severe limits of ‘regular’ stretching for recovery or injury prevention.

5) dynamic postural alignment

6) Cycling properly "Cycle or circuit but don't cocktail",

etc etc.

This does not begin to encapsulate the whole of CST and it is redundant from being hastily compiled but...

Enough theory – basically it’s a progressive way to “DO IT!” beyond what you thought you could 'do it'.

(and a way by and for adhd geniuses? Maybe! :) There is way too much information and too many topics and sub methods on the RMax site! )

hth

Edited by zdo

zdo - that's great, thanks for sharing.

It was also a bit intimidating. If you were to direct me to a 'starter' program, where would you suggest I go? I have to admit, the one nice thing about the beachbody program is that they are plug n play for the most part. For me, simple/condense is what keeps my interest.

For example, if I am interested in:

1) Using body weight for exercises (not looking to purchase more equipment)

2) Stretching

3) Entire body workout

Where would you suggest I start w/ the program you are using?

Thanks!

Tams - do you know much about this program or did you stumble on the video? I started clicking around and ended up all over the place.

Thanks for any info you can share.

I just stumble on it

don't know any background or effectiveness

I just stumble on it

don't know any background or effectiveness

The reason I asked was that some of their videos show exercises using your own body weight as the main tool, which is what I'd like to focus on after Insanity. I'll let you know if I pursue it further. Thanks again.

Tams - do you know much about this program or did you stumble on the video? I started clicking around and ended up all over the place.

Thanks for any info you can share.

Its from this website....

HOW TO GET SIX PACK ABS - SIX PACK ABS WORKOUT ROUTINE

I went through their program before... I thought it was pretty good. I haven't done the spartan workout though.

I'm also a P90 x'r... i've done it through twice and I thought it was overall great stuff, however, as mentioned before I don't think it was the most effective utilization of time for building muscles rather than just doing cardio.

I found this article:

From Geek to Freak: How I Gained 34 lbs. of Muscle in 4 Weeks

and started doing a routine based on the colorado experiment as was getting as good of results doing that routine twice a week for an hour and doing some other cardio on my off days.

Remember - Muscle is built resting - not working!

And another article on some diet suggestions I like:

How to Lose 20 lbs. of Fat in 30 Days… Without Doing Any Exercise

bf,

The CST 'library' is stuffed with free and for sale variations.

Distillation of anything is slow... give me a little time to distill the essence for you. Thanks.

zdo

Meanwhile...

Here's a little more of the simple truisms of the mobility approach and then the depths and quality on which they are founded.

The simple truism:

"Train to the pain, not through the pain" Scott Sonnon

Some real time quality and depth behind that truism ( this is from the ZHealth spin off orientation btw. Sonnon may have even better depth published re this truism ! ) :

begin to dig: Why Not "Train Through Pain"?

zdo that is some intense topic.

The myofascial train is very complex. It is an excellent knowledge to obtain of the human body.

Some reading material well known to the world of the myofascia is from Thomas W. Myers.

In his book he expains the ' Myofascial Trains' of the human body.

Rolfers are experts in the study of this field.

Anatomy Trains, Thomas W. Myers, Book - Barnes & Noble

Also to take this line out of its context

Finally, and most importantly, conventional weight training can only be moved in two planes. This limited range of motion attempts to isolate particular muscles.

That was form the ad or article you reprinted.

This statement is false. We move in 3 planes all day long. When exercising we move in 3 planes easily. The body moves in the Saggital, Frontal and Horizontal planes.

Any Physical therapist, Chriopractor, or decent Physical Trainer, can take a client through all of the planes in a workout. The planes are also joint specific. Some joints will only go in flexion and extension. At that point that individual joint is in the Saggital plane. When combining that joint with another joint action simultaneously, a different plane can be achieved.

That statement is not from you, so I wanted to clarify this for any reader.

Thanks Tiki. I understand what you’re getting at… but both of us may now be confusing everybody. I skimmed Myer’s work. It’s good stuff. Found nothing wrong or disagreeable there, but elected an experiential, ongoing exploration of my own “trains” rather than learn from static pictures and descriptions, etc.

re: “conventional weight training can only be moved in two planes. This limited range of motion attempts to isolate particular muscles.”… To clarify further - that quote was about moving weights and it was working with fixed planes, which are inflexibly pegged to the orientation of the earth, and weights can only be moved in two dimensions (vertically and or horizontally)… (hang on, I’m going somewhere with this… :) ) and

re: “We move in 3 planes all day long. When exercising we move in 3 planes easily. The body moves in the Saggital, Frontal and Horizontal planes” Good spot for differentiation from the conventional here. In this model these 3 conventional earth planes orientations are replaced with body – centric orientation of 6 ‘movements’ – heave, pitch, roll, sway, yawl, roll. This body relative orientation facilitates self (or coach) assessing and balancing training much more effectively. For example, conventional orientation has a squat as a vertical movement. In a body centric orientation, it is a heave. From a conventional sense this may seem to be a picayune distinction, but learning to experience this orientation while working or playing is incredibly freeing – much more than sessions with a Physical therapist, Chriopractor, or decent Physical Trainer have ever been – at least for me

btw, folks, If you’re going to expect ME to be scientifically immaculate about this then I suggest you find the IGNORE button now! :) I am ultimately “just doing it” and thankfully move pain free now and will not do much more jabbering/selling about it... All the best.

I found this article:

From Geek to Freak: How I Gained 34 lbs. of Muscle in 4 Weeks

and started doing a routine based on the colorado experiment as was getting as good of results doing that routine twice a week for an hour and doing some other cardio on my off days.

Remember - Muscle is built resting - not working!

I saw that he is writing a book about this stuff.

THE NEXT BOOK: From Rapid Fat Loss to Strongmen: A Guide to Becoming Superhuman

If anyone is interested in bodyweight training, this is a good resource.

http://www.bodyweightculture.com/

learning to experience this orientation while working or playing is incredibly freeing

You posted some great stuff here. It gives everyone areas to research and increase their knowledge.

It is all about what works for you and something you can achieve success in.

Everyone is aware of how hard it is to get started in fitness. The discipline to stay with it and eventually make it a lifestyle for a better you is what it is all about. How you get there is important to each person individually. Staying there is equally important to all of us.

These posts are helping people to make a decision to get out of that trading chair and do something positive for their health and future.

This is a great thread.for information to make a decision for anyone who is seriously considering doing something for themselves and is not sure how to get there.

Good health to all.

Here's BF in 90

:)

PS Imorgan, you're right though. Nothing beats lifting heavy .

Bloody awesome vid, makes me want to get fit again.

Cheers

1pipatatime

Edited by 1pipatatime
cant spell

For anyone who wants to get to know how it all works down to the origination and insertion points of the muscles, tendons, bone here is a neat graphic.

To the left you will see the skeletal structure that you select. Take the slider in that window and one by one you will layer the muscle- tendon tissue associated with the joint in the picture.

You can also select the actions of the muscle to see the human image move to show the function.

By selecting muscle menu you have the ability to select any part of the body you wish to see.

Biceps Brachii Muscle

muscle menu here

http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/muscularsystem/menu/menu.html

If you want greater detail of just what muscle is, it can be found here. Just select the composition, fiber, or physiology tabs.

Muscle Tissue Physiology - Interactive Tutorials & Quizzes

Take you workouts all the way . . . know your body !

To anyone currently doing Insanity, I just started the 2nd phase..........

Get ready to be destroyed!

For instance, most of the stuff you do in 1st half is now the warm up in the 2nd half.

:\

Ut oh... That could be trouble.

Understanding VO2Max

VO2max is the maximum amount of oxygen in millilitres, one can use in one minute per kilogram of body weight. Those who are fit have higher VO2max values and can exercise more intensely than those who are not as well conditioned.

Excellent description here.

VO2 Max

These measurements are conducted in an environment such as a university where they have the correct equipment do do so.

example here

VO2 max test

This site here gives a simple calculator to get an estimate. You must be in great shape to take these tests !

Bodybuilding.com - Calculate Your VO2 Max!

I am posting some good information everyone can use to educate themselves to improve health, fitness, and quality of life. This information is supplied to increase your understanding of your body and how tests are performed to show levels of fitness. This is not to say you should perform these tests unless supervised by a professional and given the OK by your doctor. !

Have fun learning !

Know your METS !

MET - The standard metabolic equivalent

By Elizabeth Quinn, About.com

Created: November 29, 2007

About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by the Medical Review Board

See More About:

* fitness testing

* exercise physiology

* glossary

Definition: MET or the standard metabolic equivalent is a unit used to estimate the amount of oxygen used by the body during physical activity.

1 MET = the energy (oxygen) used by the body at rest, while sitting quietly or reading a book, for example. The harder your body works during the activity, the more oxygen is consumed and the higher the MET level.

* Activity that burns 3 to 6 METs is considered moderate-intensity physical activity.

* Activity that burns > 6 METs is considered vigorous-intensity physical activity.

Moderate-intensity physical activity refers to a level of effort that:

* Causes an increase in breathing and/or heart rate

* Results in three to six metabolic equivalents (METs) of effort

* Burns 3.5 to 7 Calories per minute (kcal/min)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A word from TIKI,

This is a Metabolic Equivalent Sheet from Heart.org

I have also attached it below in pdf.

http://www.heart.org/downloadable/heart/1176406256764PA_Intensity_table_2_1.pdf

The purpose of knowing your METS is to understand the intensity at which you work.

Knowing this is key !

You can swap activities in the list given the same METS for the same length of time and you will come close in caloric expenditure.

You may have stepped on a treadmill at one time and noticed METS as a setting.

Lets say you like to swim vigorously but cannot make it to a pool. You can select an activity from the METS list that would be close in MET expenditure. In this case the treadmill.

You can enter your personal info into the treadmill then select 6 METS to start and not even select a speed or grade. The treadmill will do the rest.

If you do not have access to any fitness equipment and normally workout, but may be traveling, you can select an activity in the same MET range and achieve the results to expend the equivalent amount of calories.

Enjoy your workouts, your health and your life. It is yours, keep it strong in body and mind !

METS SHEET.pdf

OK guys. Here it CST – distilled.

“Distilled my ass! It's a thousand links!” you say… hey I tried … blame it on the adhd :)

This CST stuff is not pretty or conventional, but for me doing it has resulted in releases and recovery from long standing painful limitations, much improvement in adaptive ways of creating and responding in daily life, downright scary acceleration and speed, increased strength and endurance, and a progressive improvement in overall health. The joint mobility work gives me an unconventional avenue for lifting much heavier – as I still lift plate weights +- twice a week. The hard yoga has catalyzed an exploration of true spinal alignment techniques , etc. – not to mention a tension free neck and back. I’m sure the same can be said for a lot of programs (self or other designed), but none that I’ve ever tried even comes close to CST…

INTRO

Circular Strength Training

Circular Strength Training

FOR PURCHASE

> The IntuFlow ‘ring’

https://rmaxinternational.3dcartstores.com/Free-To-Move-Book-Intu-Flow-2-DVD-_p_194.html'>https://rmaxinternational.3dcartstores.com/Free-To-Move-Book-Intu-Flow-2-DVD-_p_194.html

or separately

https://rmaxinternational.3dcartstores.com/Intu-Flow-2-DVD-Set_p_171.html

https://rmaxinternational.3dcartstores.com/Free-To-Move-Book_p_192.html

>The Workout ‘ring’

ClubBells

https://rmaxinternational.3dcartstores.com/Clubbellreg-Training-for-Circular-Strength--DVD_p_14.html

https://rmaxinternational.3dcartstores.com/The-Big-Book-of-Clubbell-Training_p_154.html

Body Weight

Bodyweight Exercise Revolution Complete Program: Bodyweight Workouts That Deliver

>The Prasara ‘ring’

https://rmaxinternational.3dcartstores.com/Prasara-Yoga-Book-Prasara-Instructional-DVD_p_112.html

Misc. for sale

https://rmaxinternational.3dcartstores.com/Be-Breathed--DVD_p_22.html

Note: I elected to filter the QuickStart Packages from this ‘distillation’ but they may be for you… if so… https://rmaxinternational.3dcartstores.com/

Hard core TACFIT. These are endurance drills… some of them make advanced P90X, etc workouts look like wet biscuits

TACFIT Site

Zhealth is a 3 phase central nervous system oriented ‘version’ of IntuFlow (which is biotensegrity focused). It might be a better fit for some. I benefit a lot from it... basically same ‘ends’ as IntuFlow but with a different progression What is Z-Health? | Z-Health Performance

FREE SAMPLES (usually missing the content and ‘scientific’ depth , btw)

>IntuFlow ring

Free To Move

(or start at for same videos

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1aLdYgfr3M&feature=related]YouTube - Scott Sonnon Intuflow Joint Mobility Beginner Part 1[/ame]

and progress to other links listed there… “prehab”… )

>The workouts ring

Bodyweight stuff.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0CAPIl-Hd8&feature=related]YouTube - Bodyweight Exercises Your Trainer's Never Heard Of - CST Quad Hop to Box[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-TRaG_A19c&feature=related]YouTube - Scott Sonnon Leg Killer Workout TACFIT Tactical Fitness[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZJwMpvJiYM&feature=related]YouTube - Scott Sonnon Threading Scorpion Bridge Progression[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mJNJKwcgbI&feature=related]YouTube - Top 5 Animal Bodyweight Exercises: #4 Ape Step[/ame]

4X7 series

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be6vO01rgx8&feature=fvw]YouTube - 4x7 Sonnon Day Part 1[/ame]

Mostly the middle / workout ring, with a small sample of the Prasara yoga in the bridges and at the end

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t776I1J6Y1E&feature=related]YouTube - Be The Flow - Scott Sonnon[/ame]

> Prasara ring

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duMScxR7LJ8&feature=related]YouTube - Scott Sonnon Prasara Parkour[/ame]

all the best. zdo

To anyone currently doing Insanity, I just started the 2nd phase..........

Get ready to be destroyed!

For instance, most of the stuff you do in 1st half is now the warm up in the 2nd half.

I see what you mean TOG. This week I started into the max workouts and wow... these are difficult to say the least.

A couple people have asked how I was doing on this so I wanted to give a little update.

So far I have done p90x to Insanity to p90x and now doing another p90x round.

My impressions of each:

P90X

# A very complete, full body workout if you follow the entire plan. You are doing something 6 days a week and it keeps you active.

# I like the detailed tracking sheets that you use with this to track progress.

# I really enjoy the muscle building days.

# Cardio/yoga days are good, just not my thing.

INSANITY

# A heavy cardio based plan, minimal emphasis on actual muscle building.

# IMO the tracking is poor - you do not track each exercise as there is not time to do that in Insanity. You go quickly from one move to the next so there is no time to track each move like p90x. This is a problem for me as I want to see what I did and what my goal this workout should be.

# If you need to get into cardio shape, this one is solid.

You can tell which program I prefer - p90x. For a top to bottom workout, I think p90x is built better than Insanity. From what I've read and seen, it actually looks like p90x was supposed to come out after Insanity and kind of be the compilation of everything. For whatever reason, p90x was pushed out before Insanity. You can easily do both of these in your house and I like that convenience. You will need more extra stuff with p90x vs Insanity to do the full workout so there is an added cost in p90x.

In the end you can't go wrong with either but my preference is p90x for what I am trying to accomplish.