Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Efforts for 7/31/2009. Re-reading posts #5, 6, 17, 23. Building tapes from 2 bars (post #5) then shifting the trendlines as the path of the tape develops (as in post #23). Is it possible that this day only has 2 fractals? Tapes and Traverse? (might we be seeing one section of a channel within a channel that started in history??) Please advice on corrections needed in annotation. Thank you!

es-09Jul31-2.thumb.jpg.64011f1af4de4dd64b64d21bd1d80a57.jpg

Edited by rs5

My efforts for the 3 fractals from Friday (7/31).

WOW! Thank you! We were posting at similar time, and saw your post when I updated. Will now go study.

My efforts for the 3 fractals from Friday (7/31).

Thank you for posting ehorn. My effort is very similar to yours but one spot where we differ is the bar on which the first down tape begins. Both you and romanus, who posted elsewhere, start at bar 5 whereas I started at bar 4.

Bar 4 shows a decrease in pace compared to bar 3 and fails to reach the LTL of both the 2 bar tape (bars 3 and 4) and the 4 bar tape (bars 1 through 4). This way of describing things also gives a very nice "r"2 r involving bars 4, 5, and 6.

Could you, or anyone else explain which interpretation should be favoured?

TIA

Note: Tapes were drawn using NT's 'line tool' with colors and line type for illustrative purposes only.

5aa70f0b95899_ES09-097_31_2009(5Min)AMTape.thumb.jpg.af711bac9824d4979d36907a6010636f.jpg

... Both you and romanus, who posted elsewhere, start at bar 5 whereas I started at bar 4.

Bar 4 shows a decrease in pace compared to bar 3 and fails to reach the LTL of both the 2 bar tape (bars 3 and 4) and the 4 bar tape (bars 1 through 4). This way of describing things also gives a very nice "r"2 r involving bars 4, 5, and 6.

The way I looked at it, which may not necessarily be correct, is that, if one begins the down tape with bar 4, one would effectively place p1 of that down tape at the high of bar 4 and p2 at the low of bar 5. Which results in a tape that doesn't have a p3. When bar 6 arrives with increasing volume we have a trend, and as such p3 must be placed somewhere. Bar 5 already has p2 at it's low and as such is eliminated from consideration. Accelerating the tape to bar 6 produces the tape which has p1 and p2 on bar 5 and p3 on bar 6, which may or may not be more accurate way of annotating a trend.

The way I looked at it, which may not necessarily be correct, is that, if one begins the down tape with bar 4, one would effectively place p1 of that down tape at the high of bar 4 and p2 at the low of bar 5. Which results in a tape that doesn't have a p3. When bar 6 arrives with increasing volume we have a trend, and as such p3 must be placed somewhere. Bar 5 already has p2 at it's low and as such is eliminated from consideration. Accelerating the tape to bar 6 produces the tape which has p1 and p2 on bar 5 and p3 on bar 6, which may or may not be more accurate way of annotating a trend.

Thanks romanus. Your argument is based on the assumption that points 1, 2, and 3 of the 'primordial' tape must be located on 2 bars and if that were so, then I would have to agree that yours and ehorn's interpretation was the favoured one. However in this post The Price / Volume Relationship - Page 15 Spyder shows that it is not the case that points 1, 2, and 3 only be on 2 bars of a primordial tape. Now as luck would have in the example we are talking about, the 2 bar tape between bars 4 and 5 forms a perfect "LTL" tape , if you will. By my read an "LTL" bar behaves more like a "VE" bar, so I am comfortable with putting point 2 at the bottom of bar 5.

Like you though, what I have adopted is a working hypothesis and I would, as always, delight in having someone trash it.

The 'polarity' of a bar appears to have some consequences as evidenced by the discussion between romanus and myself. It would seem that both of the situations described are possible and acceptable under the correct conditions.

By polarity is meant that for a rising black bar (as distinct from an IBGS bar) P1 is at the bottom and P2 at the top, while for a falling red bar the opposite is true.

Does anyone know of other situations where attention to the polarity is important? Again, with the discussion noted above, its consideration affected how a Gaussian was read.

Here's one more imitation strawberry poptart of a question for Sunday morning.

Can the highest pace bar of a 5 min ES traverse ever be the point 1, point 2 or point 3 of that traverse?

Now I will take your leave and journey north to install the dreaded Vista on my wife's new computer. Gak. What a wretched OS but from what I hear Windows 7 is a bit of a pearl and set for public release soon.

Have a good day.

PS: Yes, that's me. The little nerd in the back with red hair, freckles and coke-bottle spectacles. The only stupid question is the question left unasked. If cnms2 can get poetic, then so too pour moi.

Just reminded me I have this one laying around.

Originally drawn and shared by Mr. Black, ( nice contribution Mr. B ) slightly modified shortly after.

Thank you Tikitrader. Very helpful! Is it correct to say that tapes consists of 2 bar? More than 2 bars are traverse?

Thank you for the reminder to not jump fractals. What does this last sentence mean?

What is the best path to building the gausian lines?

Check Spydertrader's post #6

B2B.jpg.b2a37333aad8377b6627278c3b508b07.jpg

Is this the correct annotation for tapes?

people can give you relevant feedback

if you add notes to describe why you are doing what under which circumstance (context)...

otherwise it will just be a hit-or-miss circle game.

people can give you relevant feedback

if you add notes to describe why you are doing what under which circumstance (context)...

otherwise it will just be a hit-or-miss circle game.

Hmm, here is attempt to be more specific (times are in CST, I don't know how to change time to EST in ninjatrader).

From 8:35 to 8:40am - Outside bar tape, vol reduces from 8:35 to 8:40 therefore black gaussian down (is this correct?)

From 8:40am (point 1 of tape down) to 8:45am (point 2 of tape down) - increased red gaussian in vol plane until price will go no no lower in the tape down from point 1 to point 2 in price plane.

From 8:45am (pt 2) to 8:50am - decreasing black gaussian until price will not go any higher within the down tape.

From 8:50 to 8:55am - increasing red gaussian until price will not go any lower within the down tape (the lowest price point of this down tape).

Low point of 8:55am bar forms point 1 of the tape up.

From 8:55 to 9:00am - decreasing black gaussian until price will not go any higher within the tape down (orange line for adjusted down trendline of down tape)

From 9:00 to 9:10am - increasing black gaussian until price will not go any higher within the tape up

From 9:10 to 9:15am - decreasing red gaussian until price will not go any lower within the tape up

From 9:15am to 9:20am - increasing black gaussian until price will not go any higher within the tape up

9:20am forms the first bar of Lateral tape.

Is the above all correct? If not, please point out what needs to be altered. Thank you!

es-09Aug03-1a.thumb.jpg.13ee8bd04a9cb55e59ab628eadb62b63.jpg

...times are in CST, I don't know how to change time to EST in ninjatrader)...

In the future,

don't worry about the time.

The easiest for everybody is to label the bars with numbers...

then everybody will be on the same page.

In the future,

don't worry about the time.

The easiest for everybody is to label the bars with numbers...

then everybody will be on the same page.

Thanks. Good idea. I know something is not right as I don't see a continuous X2X 2y 2X sequence. But not sure how to fix it.

What I know about lateral formations

To start a lateral formation minimum 3 bars are required where bar 2 and 3 are contained within bar 1

It can be ended in several ways:

- 2 consecutive closes outside the lateral boundaries without forming a new formation with the exception when these 2 closes are flaws, then we need 3 bars outside the lateral

- an ibgs that pierces a boundary

- when a new lateral formation is created inside the lateral formation

There are 2 types of lateral formations that matter : those that start on or after pt2 (and before pt3) being non-dominant lateral formations

and those that start after pt3 being dominant lateral formations

Feel free to add missing things/make corrections

--

innersky