Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Just a suggestion. Group samples of Lateral Formations according to the Context/OOE.

Silly me...and there I thought that's exactly what I had gone and done...:D.......:

Here is one more schematic I did...

One thing i have learned to anticipate is spyder's teaching style tends to force a student to dig deeper and always remember that this is a price/volume method.That to me means to always use both the price and volume pane info for analysis of our data sets.I believe spyder purposely only included the price pane info when he posted this differentiantion drill to force a student to go get the volume pane info and combine with the price pane info to do the drill correctly.How do i know this? Because he says so on page 143."I did not intend for those working through the exercise to focus solely on Price." So what day is this drill post from? 12/18/2009 and 12/21/2009.

http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/attachments/34/16734d1261181525-price-volume-relationship-es-09dec18-1808pv.jpg http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/attachments/34/16770d1261436230-price-volume-relationship-es-09dec21-1655pv.jpg Then spyder continues with some more "clues" on page 144. " 1. Tuesday (01-05-2010) @ 15:10 (all times Eastern and [close of] ES bar), the market provides a Lateral. Does this look the same or different than an example from The Lateral Formation Drill?

What were the outcomes of each?

What did (should) one learn?

2. Wednesday (01-06-2010) @ 12:15, the market provided another example of a Lateral Formation, which forms like another example within The Lateral Formation Drill. Does this example look the same or different than an example from The Lateral Formation Drill?

What did (should) one learn?

3. Wednesday (01-06-2010) @ 14:40, the market provided yet another example of a Lateral Formation, which forms like a third example within The Lateral Formation Drill. Does this example look the same or different than an example from The Lateral Formation Drill?

What did (should) one learn?"

http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/attachments/34/17264d1262738753-price-volume-relationship-es-10jan05-1831pv.jpg http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/attachments/34/17344d1262822285-price-volume-relationship-es-10jan06-1753pv.jpg Now that you know spyder is talking about comparing both panes of info on each sym lat with boundary you can really start to differentiante.I took notice of the increasing red to increasing black volume in one of the same sym laterals spyder pointed out.See what you notice is the same or different in the laterals spyder pointed to.Focus on both panes especially the volume pane.hth

This degapped 12/18-12/21/09 chart may help with the differentiantion drill compliments of double eagle.http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/attachments/34/16798d1261528702-price-volume-relationship-laterals.jpg. I added a few annotations i felt were important to read the containers.hth

laterals.thumb.jpg.9fe50fcdde8bd28335e9bce5dd37f837.jpg

Plus here is the follow up laterals all on one chart compliments of spyder.http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/attachments/34/17510d1263047583-price-volume-relationship-follow-up.jpg. hth

Silly me...and there I thought that's exactly what I had gone and done...:D.......:

I mean collect STATISTICAL samples of lateral formations for each distinct set of Context/OOE and then see how "the thing itself" look.

More from spyder on page 154 about how to differentiante sym laterals with boundary."Next, look at context (VE's, declining pace or accelerating pace, etc.), and finally, check the order of events. Can you 'see' a completed Volume Cycle before the formation of the Lateral?

Now, bring Volume back into the analysis. Price moving in the dominant direction (after a completed Volume Sequence) on decreasing Volume tells you a very specific thing." hth

More "clues" from spyder on reading a sym lateral with boundary on page 157." Today, I suggested whether the very same type of Lateral formed on increasing or decreasing Volume might represent a subtle difference - in other words, a way one can know how the market plans to exit the lateral in question." hth

And another "clue" from the spyder on reading sym lateral with boundary on page 161."In other words, we have defined something based on price, and we will use (later) Volume to note the differences amongst the various examples of things within this specific pile of Laterals (as defined above). " hth

I mean collect STATISTICAL samples of lateral formations for each distinct set of Context/OOE and then see how "the thing itself" look.

Please ignore my suggestion. I should not suggest something I don't agree fully. I maintain the position that context/OOE are SUFFICIENT enough to know that one knows in trading.

Hi All,

Been awhile since I posted on this forum. I wanted to invite everyone to a private meetup.com group I am starting here in San Antonio, TX. I plan on having monthly meetings where we will brainstorm ES charts and do Q & A sessions. I really like these forums, and have found them very useful, but want to form a local go to group in addition to all the great resources online.

I participated in the IB meetups years ago in Tucson, and found those very helpful. This group would be similar, but more focused towards active participants. If you live in the area and are interested in getting involved send me a pm for more details.

- Monkman

Here is something I keep thinking I have answered, but then I find myself questioning it later. I figure I may as well bring it up here, and see what the rest of you have to say.

Is it a requirement of an FTT that it be a higher high or lower low than the point 2 of the container?

For example, let's say I have points 1-2-3 of a down traverse. Price forms a small down tape after point 3, does not go lower than point 2, then reverses up and passes point 1, unarguably ending the container.

Volume does support the annotation of down traverse. The only thing that brings it in question for me is that dominant price movement after the point 3 does not pass point 2 before unmistakably breaking out and ending the container.

Here is something I keep thinking I have answered, but then I find myself questioning it later. I figure I may as well bring it up here, and see what the rest of you have to say.

Is it a requirement of an FTT that it be a higher high or lower low than the point 2 of the container?

For example, let's say I have points 1-2-3 of a down traverse. Price forms a small down tape after point 3, does not go lower than point 2, then reverses up and passes point 1, unarguably ending the container.

Volume does support the annotation of down traverse. The only thing that brings it in question for me is that dominant price movement after the point 3 does not pass point 2 before unmistakably breaking out and ending the container.

can you draw a diagram to illustrate your point?

What is the definition of FTT? Fail to reach the left boundary of a channel after point 3. Right? Anything say about point 2 on FTT's definition? No.

I feel that you get confused with range expansion in the morning trading hours.

I feel that you get confused with range expansion in the morning trading hours.

Now that was an interesting post...do you have any links to the threads where this specific thing is discussed?

Thanks!

Vienna

Now that was an interesting post...do you have any links to the threads where this specific thing is discussed?

No, I don't maintain links. Jack mentioned about range expansion very causually in one or two lines in many old posts.

To many daytraders and swing traders, it is part of a very old common-sense knowledge. Every trading day, the market will start setting up an opening range. Then the dominant side of this range will be tested for range expansion, and if failed, the market will test the other side of the range, and blah blah blah.

Thought I post a chart for a change...ES and YM

:)

Vienna

Looked like a nice clean day, very few laterals. Thanks

Quick question, your first 1,2,3 in red. why is the line not touching the 3? It is the area in the circle.

27249d1328018222-price-volume-relationship-jan-30-eod.png.dcedaa3d1c64150ed963f3a61516476a.png

Edited by xioxxio

Looked like a nice clean day, very few laterals. Thanks

Quick question, your first 1,2,3 in red. why is the line not touching the 3? It is the area in the circle.

I fanned it..had an original in there that touched the bar in question, plus the orange when i had to fan. At one point I took out the original and put in the one you are talking about...seemed to fit better.

Should have moved the numbers as well...thanks.

I installed the Trade Navigator trial version and performed the Upgrade. I could not degap the chart. The interface is a bit different from Spyder's description:

http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/technical-analysis/6320-price-volume-relationship-202.html#post91723

Does anybody know how to degap the chart in the Trade Navigator?

Thanks.

As far as I remember you need to call TN technical support and request it. Then do an Upgrade via the blue telephone.

5aa710c84009e_ChartSettingsEX-201203(900-1730)_2012-02-01_12-53-51.png.4ba708b116ea8d1ff2a16a120fc30fb3.png

Does anybody know how to degap the chart in the Trade Navigator?

Thanks.

Call their tech support..they will fix it for you. I had the same issue and they figured it out.

hth,

Vienna