Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

Pivot Point Formulas

I use standard exchange times for the e-minis. On tradestation this would be 3.30pm to 3.15pm the following day CST I believe.

What about forex?

:confused:

img1.jpgimg2.jpgimg3.jpgimg4.jpgimg9.jpgimg10.jpg

On the TradeStation forum there are multiple pivot calculations (maybe not Camarilla though) for daily, weekly, monthly with different versions for stocks, futures pit and 24 hour as well as forex. I'm sure there also similiar ones here by doing a little searching.

I'd like to throw out a question regarding the calculation of pivots. I'd be interested to see what the group consensus is on which price is actually used or preferred for the "close". Do most people use the actual close price (i.e. the last traded price of the session) or the settlement price as set by the exchange. Which one you use can make a huge difference in the resultant pivots. This can easily be a chicken or egg type question. Cheers.

Good question. In days of old it was always the settlement price. In those days the floor would have there numbers written on a bit of paper (or memorised). Now with electronic exchanges and 24 hour trading it's not so clear cut. I would think most people would have them calculated automatically based on the actual close but hard to know for sure.

I use last traded price and don't really notice a big difference.

But then I never expect price to trade literally around the pivot each and every day. The levels should only be considered trigger areas depending on price action when and if there are hit.

Thanks for the reply. will be interesting to see what other replies come in. One of the trade rooms I follow from time to time and which focuses on pivots also seems to suffer from the same conundrum. I find that sometimes price seems to react to one and at others to the other. Where it can matter a great deal at times is in markets such as the DJ Euro Stoxx 50, and other Eurex markets, where the settlement price is set some 4.5 hours before the close. Needless to say you can have a large difference in price here with resultant large differences between pivots. In these cases it can very difficult to even determine an "area" to monitor for price reaction. As you say blowfish, definitely hard to know for sure.