Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

I have an Excel book which I've created to record each trade (Date/Time/Market/Setup/LongShort/EntryPrice/Stop/Stake/ProfitLoss) then columns for Trade Management (moves to stops limits, etc), comments and various other stats - for every trade. This means I can also keep track of 'paper' trades and cash ones, whilst keeping results separate.

I then have a further sheet to summarize each traded day and then a 3rd one to summarise weeks. Keeping paper / cash separate also helps to establish how well I'm 'converting' setups into real trades when everything gets summarized.

I have the whole thing automated to do the summaries etc once I put in the basics of each trade and I find it very helpful to keep track of everything. This may not be what you are after (you may want more emphasis on written info and descriptions of trades and days rather than strict record keeping) but thinking through and drafting something like the above could be a good starting point for you...

I have an Excel book which I've created to record each trade (Date/Time/Market/Setup/LongShort/EntryPrice/Stop/Stake/ProfitLoss) then columns for Trade Management (moves to stops limits, etc), comments and various other stats - for every trade. This means I can also keep track of 'paper' trades and cash ones, whilst keeping results separate.

I then have a further sheet to summarize each traded day and then a 3rd one to summarise weeks. Keeping paper / cash separate also helps to establish how well I'm 'converting' setups into real trades when everything gets summarized.

I have the whole thing automated to do the summaries etc once I put in the basics of each trade and I find it very helpful to keep track of everything. This may not be what you are after (you may want more emphasis on written info and descriptions of trades and days rather than strict record keeping) but thinking through and drafting something like the above could be a good starting point for you...

Would you be willing to share this? I have something more basic, but is not clever enough with Excel to automate everything and is doing everything by hand, which is kind of a pain to do.

Template attached.

Hope it makes sense to everyone with a bit of playing around - just make sure to continue the formulas as you fill it in and everything should run smoothly. I just put 2 fictional trades on the tradesheet (one 'paper' one 'live') to give you an idea of how I personally fill it out.

Also, I have a few beta things going on on my own version but if anyone else has ideas on stats / info they'd like to add or see calculated then lets hear them! I'm no Excel expert but always happy to try and create solutions...

Bear Mtn Trade sheet.xls

Thanks Bear,

I Think this will do fine. I will plug in some data that I have been keeping, over the weekend. If I need help adding any formulas I will post them.

I know a lot of software has back testing ext. but I would have thought more people would have responded or wanted a good excel template for their live or demo accounts. I guess its that 90% thing. Oh I mean 10% do 90% of the work thing. :crap:

Thanks Bear,

I like to keep things simple. This is exactly what some of us might need. Even if one of these start out that way, people tend to add their own bells and whistles. For me, this will be a great starting point. Thanks again.

Edited by Bohunck
typo

I have a good spreadsheet that I've used and improved for a while that allows you to keep track of scaleouts, add-ins, etc., and calculates pts profit, $ profit, and so on based on entry/exit prices. I've given it to a few people to play around with and test, and will post it when I'm certain enough that it's bug free.

scaleouts, add-ins, etc., and calculates pts profit, $ profit, and so on based on entry/exit prices.

Really interested to see this Atto as finding a way to accurately represent multi-entry/exit trades has been one thing I've struggled with. I now do this fairly manually which I think gives me an accurate way to benchmark these against simpler trades.. but like I say, look forward to seeing your setup or hearing how you handle these?

Yeah, that was the hardest logically, but I really wanted it to work that way. Still trading now, and I need to fix a couple things, then I'll post it.

Here's how the trade journal section looks (and you might get an idea how I managed scaleouts and adds):

attachment.php?attachmentid=11646&stc=1&d=1245775961

The data entered is Date/Time, Instrument (entered or selected from a menu that's easy to set up), size, and price. The rest is calculated: position (showing the total position on that instrument) and profit (in pts and $, taking into account the average entry price). Cumulative profit, Drawdown, and some other stats are also kept track of.

tj.PNG.fdc316c510e59669f6611b5a85fc8d83.PNG