Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

sunilrohira

DAX and EuroStoxx 50

I am interested in trading DAX and Eurostoxx50. Can someone give me suggestions on ticker symbols, times to trade, Tick and point size in Euros or $$, Average tru range, stop loss, reward/risk ratio, volatility, indicators suggested, brokers etc..?

I am interested in trading DAX and Eurostoxx50. Can someone give me suggestions on ticker symbols, times to trade, Tick and point size in Euros or $$, Average tru range, stop loss, reward/risk ratio, volatility, indicators suggested, brokers etc..?

How about looking on the Eurex website to get the contract details and plot the charts with ATR to see what it looks like?

Risk/Reward and indicators is market independent and is based on personal preferences and risk tolerance. Use whatever you are using now.

Thought I provided this info already but if not....

The DAX is a German stock index (Deutscher Aktienindex) that measures prices on the 30 largest companies (in terms of turnover and market cap) on the German Stock Exchange (Deutsche Boerse)

DAX futures trade on EUREX. EUREX is an all-electronic trading exchange in Europe. There is no open outcry trading there, all orders are electronically matched. The exchange website is Eurex - Europe's Global Financial Marketplace.

The symbol root for the DAX is AX. (ESIGNAL) Contract months are the same as for US equity index products and symbol construction is identical, with the exception that one needs to tag on to the symbol a designator for the exchange.

Example: AX Z8-DT is the symbol used on eSignal for the Dec'08 DAX futures contract

Contract value is 25€ pr. point

The contract value can be more than 3 times the current size of the E-mini Russell2000 contract and almost 4 times the value of the S&P500 contract.

I would strongly suggest starting out with the DowJones EuroSTOXX 50 index futures (about 1/5th the size of the DAX, and much more liquid). This contract is €10 pr. point

The DAX trades in increments of 0.5 points, i.e each tick is 0.5 points

unlike the S&P´s and US stock index futures where the roll-over takes place 8 days before expiration, the roll-over in the DAX doesn´t happen until the expiration date itself which is the 3rd Friday of expiration month.

The DAX trading day is 11 hours, from 2AM until 1PM CST.

3AM - 2PM EST

12AM - 10AN PST

The hours of greatest liquidity are the first 2 hrs., then things quite down a little bit, pick up again during a 3 hr window from 8:00am-11:00am EST.

Volume then drops off steadily for the balance of the session.

Check out:

Eurex - Europe's Global Financial Marketplace

I trade a few thousand contracts a month on the Dax.

For brokerage I found Advantage futures the cheapest at around $1.50 US per side.

Funny I'm an Aussie who trades the Dax through a US broker.

I used ninja-trader at first but found at peak times the system would freeze.

I now use TT's X-Trader which is more expensive on lower volume but similar on higher volume transactions (excellent for speed).

I would not recommend trading the Dax for beginners.

Guest Andre

If you trade a few thousand why not just go to Interactive brokers and choose unbundled commission? you'd pay around 0.5€ per side on average...