Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

thalestrader

Reading Charts in Real Time

Every trade your system signals and you skip, for whatever reason, diminishes your statistical edge a little bit.

That is an excellent point, Marko. Frustration can lead to shaken confidence, and shaken confidence leads to loss avoidance, i.e. skipping trades (fear of pulling the trigger).

Once you start doing that, you are dead.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19198&stc=1&d=1265982432

There is no way to recover a draw down other than through trading. There is no better way to preserve and to increase a draw down than through fear managed trade selection.

As an example, I mentioned a few days ago how last week at one point I found myself down nearly 4R. I had quite a string of losses and BE trades, with hardly a winner in sight over a couple of days. As I was never down a cumulative 2R in any one session, I never had to stop trading per my 2R and I'm out rule. So I kept taking my swings. There I was, down nearly 4R, and the next opportunity presented itself. I placed my order, it triggered, and less than 20 minutes later I was out with a +5.06R profit that not only erased the draw down but put at a new high for the month.

It does not always work itself out so completely and at once, of course. However, if you start skipping trades out of frustration or damaged confidence, you will likely miss that +5R opportunity and you will uncannily select to take every -1R the market offers you.

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70fce75555_AfraidtoPulltheTrigger.jpg.52f82bf90118a71373bcd1b56a71c19a.jpg

A couple of long stock plays for the day...

attachment.php?attachmentid=19199&stc=1&d=1265986246

attachment.php?attachmentid=19200&stc=1&d=1265986246

MFE has triggered, but it is getting sloppy. QCOM has yet to trigger. Motorola (MOT) also looks good, but it is too cheap for me to play (chart not shown).

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70fce7ad35_2010-02-12MFE1.jpg.559b5498f33652a08d310008f8dfc8cc.jpg

5aa70fce81923_2010-02-12QCOM1.jpg.8902b1c708e64f877837e2ff9e67a95c.jpg

I might like the EURUSD/6E above 1.3600 ...

Best WIshes,

Thales

Too late to post this

attachment.php?attachmentid=19202&stc=1&d=1265986813

2nd chance to start at 1.3601 with small stop!!

Out for 7R, went above 8R

attachment.php?attachmentid=19207&stc=1&d=1265988154

Had I been frustated about the first huge bar, I probably would not have bought the 2nd chance.

tl-03.thumb.png.b1346bdd9f877035c09086aff9c45c34.png

tl-04.thumb.png.55050f69ab39f3d7cc6a90266bb08217.png

tl-06.thumb.png.a7d8dcbd7594808fae3804e1c0ed8017.png

Edited by Marko23
2nd chance

Well, I'm not holding the 6E through a long weekend, so my stop is BE on this trade (1.3601) at this point. If I'm not stopped out, its MOC.

I'm actually looking at a potential short on the EUR/USD...

(I got barely better than BE on my two long attempts on the EU.)

EDIT: Well, actually, I've taken 3 long attempts on the EU today, with a net loss end result.

EU15M.jpg.e885d6f7054307f8a1b8661334839604.jpg

(I got barely better than BE on my two long attempts on the EU.)

EDIT: Well, actually, I've taken 3 long attempts on the EU today, with a net loss end result.

We're in different scales of price movement as I am trying to catch a large rally, so your short and my long may be able to peaceably coexist under certain circumstances. However, as it is the weekend, I do not wish to endure an open position, so I will be out a tick or two before you are short. And frankly, I do not typically endure 60 tick stop outs, even if the liquidity will be there. Price has rallied and then declined to test my entry. I decline to let it fall below that point a second time with me aboard.

Best Wishes,

Thales

Well, I've pulled my order...it's getting fairly late and still hasn't triggered...I'm not convinced of an impending downmove at this point...

EU15M.jpg.c901b9dbca3e890dc152bf766f1c8d46.jpg

EU15M2.jpg.abceaa6dbdf85757f838d51f03484b98.jpg

Every trade your system signals and you skip, for whatever reason, diminishes your statistical edge a little bit.

Once you start doing that, you are dead.

Bang! Bang!

attachment.php?attachmentid=19231&stc=1&d=1266008240

Today was a exceptional in that each trade that I skipped turned into winners. Other days I'm really pleased that I skipped some trades.

5aa70fcf9a722_6E20100212.thumb.png.de994aedd20a0d769693f5146c1047ea.png

pre-Weekend Reading

I do not want to use this as my weekend reading submission, but I think this is an interesting piece. I do not know who wrote it. My friend, the currency trader sent this to me sometime ago. He found it over at FF, and I have actually run into a few other places myself. It is a quick read, but I think it may be of great value for those who sometimes feel as though they are stuck in second gear - it may be the case that you are actually stuck in stage 2.

Best Wishes,

Thales

5 Steps to Becoming a Trader.pdf

I just want to say that I really like the use of #.##R (vs ticks or % return or $$).

The purpose of the Van Tharp readings were to try to influence the direction of the thread towards money management and viewing one's performance through the lens of Units of Risk or R-multiples.

Here is a Van Tharp article that may be a bit less intimidating than the more comprehensive pieces I previously posted in the thread, but nonetheless gives a good presentation money management and how focusing on R as oppossed to nominal dollars will help you overcome the desire to be right.

Best Wishes,

Thales

TTJMay Expectancy - Van K. Tharp.pdf

The trouble with Van is that, as usual, he's half right.

Expectancy is a really good measure (right).

But it isn't as good as Van promotes (wrong).

Why, because you get a higher expectancy from low win rate strategies than high win rate strategies that have the same profit factor ... so it makes them look much better!! But. And its a big but. Expectancy ignores risk of ruin.

And when you add RoR back in you find a somewhat different picture. But more later. :)

... But more later. :)

Yes, please. Until beginning of this week I had R-multiples only in my Excel sheets.

Now I draw the R-scale for every trade and I feel very good with it.

As with every new aspect it feels too good just after the introduction.

But I can take profits more consistently when a trade has got to 2 to 3R, stalls

and does not progress to my favorite projection of the day.

... focusing on R as oppossed to nominal dollars will help you overcome the desire to be right ...

Van Tharp is an educator. He's done a good job at teaching and explaining R-multiples. He did not invent the concept though, and I always thought he should give credit where credit is due.

The concept of R-multiples was conceived and developed by Chuck Branscomb.

Sorry for the slightly off topic information :) .

Best wishes,

TB

Edited by TrueBalance
grammar

Van Tharp is an educator. He's done a good job at teaching and explaining R-multiples. He did not invent the concept though, and I always thought he should give credit where credit is due.

The concept of R-multiples was conceived and developed by Chuck Branscomb...

Hi TrueBalance,

Good to hear from you again ... you've been too quiet!

I kind of thought R-multiples was the basis of Richard Dennis's and William Eckhardt's money management regimen from the 70's (not to be confused with N-multiples, which were trading units based upon volatility, if I understand them correctly, which I am never sure I do).

I'm not sure it really matters as risk as a percent of equity has been used by many over the years, including William O'Neil as far back as the 60's. Whether it was call "R" or "Units of Risk" is not so important. "A rose by any other name ..."

I personally have conceived of nothing new, I take credit for nothing, and do try to give credit where credit is due. It was Tharp's writings that made this type of money management approach clear to me, and whether it was developed buy Chuck Branscomb, Richard Dennis, or Socrates, Ben Franklin, Van Tharp has to get credit for making the concept and its benefits easily and publicly available.

Best Wishes,

Thales

... because you get a higher expectancy from low win rate strategies than high win rate strategies that have the same profit factor ... so it makes them look much better!! But. And its a big but. Expectancy ignores risk of ruin.

And when you add RoR back in you find a somewhat different picture. But more later...

Now do not leave us hanging for long, Kiwi, ...

Best Wishes,

Thales

And its a big but. Expectancy ignores risk of ruin.

And when you add RoR back in you find a somewhat different picture. But more later. :)

I am please that there is another champion of RoR. I have posted this link before it is one of my favourite little sites with nothing to promote but a different way of looking at things. TradersCALM - opening traders perceptions just click on risk of ruin.

I am please that there is another champion of RoR. I have posted this link before it is one of my favourite little sites with nothing to promote but a different way of looking at things. TradersCALM - opening traders perceptions just click on risk of ruin.

Traderscalm looks like it may be a decent resource, Blowfish. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Best Wishes,

Thales