Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

thalestrader

Reading Charts in Real Time

The next smaller time scale offered no good opportunites before 14:30. One coud only grab 3..5 ticks in small moves.

I did not take the Short at 3, no idea where it could be filled.

Even after the big move down, one was immediately thrown back into the small degree. This is the market, just accept it.

FGBL-08.thumb.png.c5c4fbb547f2f4bd7e382213ea635863.png

The next smaller time scale offered no good opportunites before 14:30. One coud only grab 3..5 ticks in small moves.

I did not take the Short at 3, no idea where it could be filled.

Even after the big move down, one was immediately thrown back into the small degree. This is the market, just accept it.

Hmm, I did!! In the EU.

eu32.thumb.jpg.6a7010558a9ff645a1b4609979a2b251.jpg

Don

Hmm, I did!! In the EU.

[ATTACH]16312[/ATTACH]

Don

Could you please eliminate the shadows from the font?

It is difficult for me to see (eye problems)

Bigger, non bold characters would be appreciated too.

Thanks

Gabe

SnagIt Academic Version.

Thanks

Don

My version is 7.2.5 .

When I type text in that SnagIt Editor, there is a second check box down in the dialog where you can turn off the shadow.

That version cannot make a screenshot of itself unfortunately.

Yes, and a simple trick made learning this much easier for me: I never, never change the vertical price scale of the chart. After while, I could just ignore the small swings and concentrate on the bigger ones.

I do not find too much to recommend FXCM's charts, but one feature that I do like that is lacking in every other package I use is that the vertical price scale will stay stable and can only be adjusted by the user. Ninjatrader, on the other hand, automatically adjusts the scale, which distorts price action. I do not know why these developers all think that there is a benefit to what I call "auto-scrunching" during price moves that are large relative to the immediatley preceding activity. If anyone knows how to stop Ninjatrader from autoscaling, please let me know here.

Best Wishes,

Thales

I do not find too much to recommend FXCM's charts, but one feature that I do like that is lacking in every other package I use is that the vertical price scale will stay stable and can only be adjusted by the user. Ninjatrader, on the other hand, automatically adjusts the scale, which distorts price action. I do not know why these developers all think that there is a benefit to what I call "auto-scrunching" during price moves that are large relative to the immediatley preceding activity. If anyone knows how to stop Ninjatrader from autoscaling, please let me know here.

Best Wishes,

Thales

Very interesting to read your experience. Those developers don't ever trade.

The charting program, which comes with IB TWS, also keeps the price scale fixed after the user sets it to a specific range. That program is simple, but very effective in my opinion.

If anyone knows how to stop Ninjatrader from autoscaling, please let me know here.

Fixed scale is one of the many features coming in NT7... it's in the recent betas, and people are debating the exact way it should work right now. There are 'verticalscale' indicators for NT6.5 floating around that try to work around the issue in the meantime, but they are a bit quirky from what I hear. I've never tried any of them.

You can stop Ninja autoscrunching by moving to Sierra Chart :)

That's funny, Kiwi.

I tried Sierra a year or two ago. I remember I did not like it, but I cannot remember why.

Best Wishes,

Thank you,

Thales

Fixed scale is one of the many features coming in NT7... it's in the recent betas, and people are debating the exact way it should work right now. There are 'verticalscale' indicators for NT6.5 floating around that try to work around the issue in the meantime, but they are a bit quirky from what I hear. I've never tried any of them.

I'm using 6.5. What are they debating? Why not just enable the user to turn fixed scale on?

Best Wishes,

Thales

Hi Thales,

I agree fixed scales of a constant range are ideal for developing an eye/feel rather than being a program to trade. I've used a few charting packages over the years and they all seem to allow constant scaling. Ensign, Neoticker, Sierra, to name a few. I tried Sierra some years ago as well and didn't like it much then, but more recently I tried it again and I'm pretty pleased with it. It's fast, small memory footprint and trading from the chart is nice. For automated studies, I think neoticker is the best though. Lawrence Chan (a long time systems trader) has put huge effort into making neoticker stand out in the programming side of trading.

With kind regards,

MK

PS: I hope you are feeling better now and business as usual next week!

I hope you are feeling better now and business as usual next week!

I'm feeling much better, thank you. I have no idea what was wrong with me, and I'm waiting to hear back on the results of some tests. At any rate, business as usual this week for me, God willing. I do have other business on both Tuesday and Thursday that will keep me out for most of the NY session on those days. Otherwise I expect to be at it from Sydney Sunday to lunch in NY on Friday.

Best Wishes,

Thales