Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

knocks420

ADR Arb/Spread

A buddy of mine asked for some help investigating an ADR trading strategy based on results of another trader making good money. Knowing these traders I can't imagine a sophisticated quantitative arbitrage model or conversion process but more likely following serial correlation or some other such simple strategy. Just wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone has heard about this approach or had any ideas? Thanks!

I happened to speak to a guy at a cocktail party who does this for a living. He was at Susquehanna for a long time in the derivatives group and left with a few others a few years ago to go their own --- they were using 75x leverage to do ADR arbitrage (currency hedging is a part of it).

I would think this is very difficult to pull off unless you are very experienced at this type of thing and/or have some type of technology advantage.

I happened to speak to a guy at a cocktail party who does this for a living. He was at Susquehanna for a long time in the derivatives group and left with a few others a few years ago to go their own --- they were using 75x leverage to do ADR arbitrage (currency hedging is a part of it).

I would think this is very difficult to pull off unless you are very experienced at this type of thing and/or have some type of technology advantage.

I agree, the general method is to high-frequency market-making approach using cheap commissions and multiple accounts but I can't imagine these traders even remotely close to that level of sophistication.

Perhaps its some spread between the ADR and the base index? I thought I read in a paper ADRs due follow the local index during the trading day and perhaps they revert to the base index. So US equities rising, ADR rising, DAX is flat, short ADR?? I am grasping at straws but as I find out more I'll post...