Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

daedalus

Why ADX > 20 Is a Lie + Easy Trading Method

Quick question TT. Those first two sells Are into yesterdays low and what might be considered support (dotted red line). Would that be your initial target? Maybe with an exit there and re-entry when it broke. Or conversely where you bearish anyway?

before it took out he previous days low (PDL), the day was an inside day. inside days are rare, occuring on ~10% of all days so I would think of the previous low as a baseline objective to violate (a directional target) more than 'support'...

one other thing to TT, I have spent time with various breakout type of price triggers based on volatility increasing. here is one example -- there is no magic here -- you are trying to get the bigger idea right and all these trigger prices may or may not look so good in retrospect --- expect any indicator on this lower timeframe to work sometimes and not others. its up to the trader to try to come up with a trigger price and manage the position based on subsesquent action. you can stagger price triggers based on diff't measures as well or vary size based on confidence in the set-up.

here is a chart using the midpoint of the 7- high low channel and +/- 3 pts vs that midpoint. price that forms 'the channel pattern' and then shows a bit of a volatility breakout means ADX might be ready to rise. again, there is no magic here, you are just trying to find a price that makes sense to manage from....

attachment.php?attachmentid=11467&stc=1&d=1245240741

5aa70eea55924_ADXChart3.png.6900a86ea18667a75a2014410a9d205b.png

Quick question TT. Those first two sells Are into yesterdays low and what might be considered support (dotted red line). Would that be your initial target? Maybe with an exit there and re-entry when it broke. Or conversely where you bearish anyway?

Price had five tries at pushing above the 924 high on the five minute chart. I then expected that a retest and possible break of the opening range low 919.25, with the expectation that that would lead to a retest of the prior day's low.

You are correct, that low would have been a target. I do not typically trade with targets, so rather than limit out, I would have watched for signs that price was going to find support and raly from the prior low before I'd exit the trade.

Unlike the 6B example where you asked about the double top, there was sufficient price distance between the first trade here on the ES and the prior low to warrant a trade (after all, I see a bunch of folks here on TL and elsewhere who are happy to take a tick or two or three, let alone three or four whole ES points!).

The second short entry is cutting it close, but still enough room on the ES to warrant me taking that trade (remember, you can always get out at the market with the click of one button).

I try not to be bearish or bullish per se. I would have been a buyer of a break above 924, and my target would have been the prior day's high. I would not have had a take profit limit there either, but I would have been watchful for signs that price was going to reverse or push through that resistance.

Best Wishes,

Thales

PS I do not have trading rules, but I do have what you might call guidelines. For every time I trade in accordance with all my guidelines I could find another trade where I disregarded one or more.

Seminar Title: Using ADX to Trade Breakouts, Pullbacks, and Reversals

Below is a link to recorded seminar at CMEGroup site on ADX by Dr Charles Schaap

Using ADX to Trade Breakouts, Pullbacks, and Reversals (CBOT Archive)

This is a long 135 minutes seminar which you can save (File > Save As), bit old style but real wealth of useful material for trading

I was able to locate the slides & have uploaded them here, so look through the topics in it first if they are of interest to yourself

The seminar meticuosly goes through many aspect of trading including Trade management, trendlines, Price & DMI pivots, MAs, range, trend, accumulation, divergence, exhaustion, Continuation Signal, ..., etc etc.

Dr Schaap uses the setting of (8, 13) on AdXlength and DMI respectively

I have attached my chart of ADX (as Histo) and DMI lines on weekly Nasdaq 100 Index

Enjoy Minoo

Schaap-ADX-Slides.pdf

NQ100-ADX(DMI).thumb.PNG.94c9e3fb857bdeba413eb806d640257b.PNG

//ADX-Mod (Format type as point and weight from 3 to 5 as desired to look as pictured.)

inputs:

Length( 14 ) ;

inputs: UpColor(green), DnColor(Red);

variables:

ADXValue( 0 ), Color (0) ;

ADXValue = ADX( Length ) ;

if ADXValue < 20 then

color = UpColor

else

color = DnColor;

plot1(0,"ADX-Mod",color);

trade-samarai's code ADX-Mod vs. Standard ADX